Did I just buy counterfeit hubs from Amazon?

ChristopherJ

Supporting Member
I ordered some Timken HA597449 hubs from Amazon that arrived tonight. They don't look like any of the pictures I've seen while searching for these. Can anyone confirm that these are good to go? The last pic is a stock photo that I find on every site that sells this model. Thanks in advance.

hub.jpg

hub1.jpg

Timkin.jpg

timken1.jpg

Timken hasnt sold the hubs with the red/orange seal for years. SKF and Raybestos still do. Although the color/material of a bearing dust shield doesnt tell you much, I have had better luck with the SKF hubs than the Timkens. All of 3 above listed manufacturers are made in china.

To go over again...(we install this shit every day)
There are only so many mfg facilities of auto parts in the world and there are a couple mfg standards practiced by same mfg facilities.

Example...Moog and Napa Chassis parts are the same thing. Different boxing, paint but same none the less. Some are made in North America and some not.

Driveworks (Advance house brand), duralast(Auto zone's house brand) napa proformer...
Are all same parts in different boxes. They're also of inferior quality to the above and mfg with a lower set of standards..either material used, tolerances, etc...but make no mistake the house brands are in fact not as stout as the premium brands. There is in fact a difference.

Example #2
would you put on a driveworks or precision (oreilly's house brand) of u-joint on your Jeep or would you use a Spicer?

Hold the phone...Those two house brands are made in China. But wait...so is Spicer.
Is there a mfg standard difference between Spicer and the house brands?
Absolutely positively damn straight there is.

Being in business we install this stuff all week long from all different boxes.

Back to your Timken....
Timken stand alone bearing and race have been made in Korea for a while.
The share the same facility as National.

That same facility however is incapable of making a wheel hub/bearing combo.

I can also tell you be very careful and think twice when ordering internet stuff...(Amazon and Rock auto)
We've had instances where a customer brought parts in from Amazon and Rock Auto for us to install and literally they've been junk right out of the box.
Then you're left with the hassle of returning or whatever and your vehicle still isn't fixed.
We've had drums from RA come in egg shaped right out of the box. Way outside of tolerable run out range.
Amazon....we've seen rotors warped straight from a brand new shipping poly bag still sealed up.
There have been other parts from them but those are the most recent.

Good day

They sell a set of front ball joints. 2 uppers and 2 lowers for 42 bucks and change. It is not possible any way I can ponder it for them to be US made.
Possibly by using one of the federal government's definitions of a domestic product? I don't recall exactly how the various Acts are worded but maybe all the individual components could made overseas and then finished and assembled in the USA. If 51 percent of the component and end product costs are domestic then it can be defined as made in the USA.

Reactions: Blondie70
Possibly by using one of the federal government's definitions of a domestic product? I don't recall exactly how the various Acts are worded but maybe all the individual components could made overseas and then finished and assembled in the USA. If 51 percent of the component and end product costs are domestic then it can be defined as made in the USA.
I get all that. I don't understand the rest.

Did you read exactly what they told me? Maybe more people should contact them and see what they're told about it. When someone gives me a 10 year warranty on parts I can easily install, I take them up on it IF/WHEN they fail. I've been using them for several years for all of my vehicles, not just Jeeps.
p.s. If what they told me is true, I can spray the boxes and packages with Lysol to kill the virus. My wife has already had the new vaccine. If she grows a third eye from it, I'll let you guys know.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the other parts they sell, but I purchased front strut assemblies with springs and rear shocks for my Ford F150 from Detroit Axle. I knew as soon as I received them I should sent them back but went ahead and installed them anyway. I've got about 7000 miles on them and the shocks are already leaking and it rides worst than it did with the old ones with 100000 miles on them. I'm not contacting them about the warrenty because if they sent me two free sets I wouldn't put them on. I was talking to my son in law a couple of weeks ago and he said the new brake rotors he had just put on his car were already warped. When I asked where he got them, you guessed it, Detroit Axle. No way for me.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Lou
I purchased the same timken hubs for spares 5 years ago. They are identical to what you received. Mine are still sitting on the shelf in the garage though, haven't needed them yet. I also have spicer balljoints NIB just hanging out for the day the originals decide to go out. I've heard mixed reviews on hubs over the years, use to be always go with Timken but that seems to have changed now. It seems like no one has found a solid hub brand lately for our jeeps.

About a year ago I jumped into this same rabbit hole of finding the best quality unit bearings possible. At the end of it I came to the conclusion that the best source of replacement unit bearings are from low mileage wrecked tj’s. Even new “mopar” unit bearings seem to be the same crap coming in Timkin boxes these days. I would be thrilled if someone could prove me wrong.