Discussion on Rebuilt and Salvage Titles

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
Thread inspired by https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/selling-a-jeep-whats-it-worth.51717/

In Ohio a Salvage title means you own it but can't drive it legally on the road until repairs are made, it passes inspection and you better have receipts for the parts they say need replaced. When it passes inspection the R title takes over.

There are plenty of vehicles where the R title is a great idea. Vehicles in floods or major wrecks come to mind. You never know everywhere the water has been or how much salt and whatever it has left behind and major repairs or multiple minor repairs on wrecks can pose their own issues. I'm sure there are other reasons that vehicles should get the R title too. All cars like that should be priced lower.

There are situations that the R title gets overplayed.

Oops I crunched the fender, bumper and grille on my 2000 TJ with 150,000 miles that I daily drive and take off road. I drive it home, replace those parts and the lights so everything is back to normal. My original title still is my title. My Jeep would still sell for the $7500 I paid for it last year.

Oops I crunched the fender, bumper and grille on my all original 2000 TJ with 35,000 miles that has full coverage because it's in such great shape and spends most of it's life in my garage. Insurance wants it totaled because replacing that stuff is too close to, or over the book value so I buy it back. Then I drive it home, replace those parts and the lights yet nothing is back to normal. I need to pass the inspection to get the R title. Yea! It passed inspection! I hope it might sell for $7500 with the R title.

Stuff like that can happen any the time, not just to the average Jeep owner but to anyone.

Salvage title?

No matter how nice the condition kills the resale value.
not when its a fully built wheeler. Like the genright rigs are not getting a knock-down for starting with a rebuilt title.

It all depends on the situation and the final plans.

I recently made some calls on jeeps that turned out to be a joe bob operation where someone buys jeeps and welds a bunch of plate to the frames to "fix" them and resells. Sorry I don't want to get into the situation where joe bob didn't do a great job and I spend more time fixing his work than building the new rig.

My brother has picked up a couple stolen salvage title vehicles. Once insurance pays out they go into the same system as wrecks, fire, and floods.

On those he's only needed to repair the steering wheel components, locks, and maybe a sound system.

They go for more money at auction.

Take a look at www.copart.com

I picked up an R-title Saab when my VW was bought back. Drove it for two years and sold it for the same price I bought it for. It had guardrail damage down the side. Due to the age and value it was totaled out. Was a good car to run around in.

Here in LA fixed salvage title jeeps seem to go for the same as nonsalvage. Or at least the asking price is the same. I dont get it. What proof do you have that you didnt drive over the border and have the work done by a 14 yr old kid in Tijuana? And how do i get it insured?

But if i was a mechanic. And wanted an off road only jeep. Id strongly consider buying a salvage title jeep. And building it the way i wanted. But im not a mechanic. So there's that.

Unless i was buying a 3rd or 4th vehicle. I dont see the upside. Around here at least. They wouldnt even allow me to buy back the salvage on the last 4x4 that was stolen and trashed. Cali. Go figure.

I have a salvage title LJR with 50k on the clock. It had a tree fall on it destroying the top and bending both door frames. I have it insured with Hagerty for $30k. Salvage does not bother me at all if I get get a good look at what was damaged and how it was repaired. I wouldn't buy a flood car though. To much risk of hidden gremlins that can pop up later.

Reactions: 1o1proof
It's always hard to tell what joe bob planned to do, did or even remotely succeeded at doing. For that R Title = Needed
It all depends on the situation and the final plans.

I recently made some calls on jeeps that turned out to be a joe bob operation where someone buys jeeps and welds a bunch of plate to the frames to "fix" them and resells. Sorry I don't want to get into the situation where joe bob didn't do a great job and I spend more time fixing his work than building the new rig.

Stuff like this, I'm still saying R title gets overplayed.
My brother has picked up a couple stolen salvage title vehicles. Once insurance pays out they go into the same system as wrecks, fire, and floods.

On those he's only needed to repair the steering wheel components, locks, and maybe a sound system.

I picked up an R-title Saab when my VW was bought back. Drove it for two years and sold it for the same price I bought it for. It had guardrail damage down the side. Due to the age and value it was totaled out. Was a good car to run around in.

I have a salvage title LJR with 50k on the clock. It had a tree fall on it destroying the top and bending both door frames. I have it insured with Hagerty for $30k. Salvage does not bother me at all if I get get a good look at what was damaged and how it was repaired.

As for insurance issues, I didn't think about that but it makes the R title, when overplayed, even worse. I also didn't think about off road only or racing, which makes the R title almost irrelevant. The only time you'd need any title for off road only or racing in Ohio is when someone claims that your using their stolen vehicle to do it. Of course Cali could be different. With no title by the user I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another excuse for them to scrap any vehicle with an engine even if it was stolen and recovered.

Stuff like this, I'm still saying R title gets overplayed.

I agree with you. Hence why I got the car for $2k and never doubted the integrity of it. Granted the paintwork as a little shoddy that didn't stop me from driving.

brZ5EJNl.jpg

l3StmAsl.jpg

I live in Ohio , own a rebuilt 06 TJ with a rebuilt title, have it insured for full coverage with State Farm , no issues. Asked my agent if I would have an issue if I ever had a claim and he said no. I did provide him with several pics of the vehicle for assurance if it’s present condition.

Reactions: srimes and AMS417
I live in Ohio , own a rebuilt 06 TJ with a rebuilt title, have it insured for full coverage with State Farm , no issues. Asked my agent if I would have an issue if I ever had a claim and he said no. I did provide him with several pics of the vehicle for assurance if it’s present condition.
I had the same conversation but went with a “stated value” policy just to be safe. Mostly concerned about theft or a roll over off road. I’m covered as long as I am not “engaged in a formal competition”. I guess informal competitions are ok.

Reactions: SPECWAR