DIY Hardtop Hoist

Here's what I did for my wifes jk. Used unistrut and 4 inch u bolts. Then just got a harbor freight electric hoist. Prob got $150 total in it. The top of the t goes over the doors and the bottom by the back glass.
Sorry dont have any pics actually holding the top.

View attachment 92863

View attachment 92864

View attachment 92866
This is great. I really want to make this for my husband as an anniversary gift, TODAY! Will this set up work with a 2021 4 door rubicon top? I think he has a JK. Sorry I don't own a jeep but I like his!

This is great. I really want to make this for my husband as an anniversary gift, TODAY! Will this set up work with a 2021 4 door rubicon top? I think he has a JK. Sorry I don't own a jeep but I like his!
Yes I originally built it for a JK and when my wife upgraded to the JL it worked just the same. Had to move the eye hook a little to find the new balance point but it's easy.

here's a couple pics of it
20210809_164918.jpg20210809_165055.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I originally built it for a JK and when my wife upgraded to the JL it worked just the same. Had to move the eye hook a little to find the new balance point but it's easy.

here's a couple pics of it
View attachment 273125

View attachment 273126
I also realize this is a bit of an old thread, but trying to figure out how I'm going to rig up a ceiling hoist for my daughters TJ this spring. So far, I'm most intrigued by this setup, but want to possibly incorporate ideas from the OP's #1 thread as well as thread 8.

After using this, how would you feel about an H design versus the T? My thoughts are using the H layout, but create longer hooks for the rear section using all-thread and a coupler to attach the hooks to the rear sides and grab from there vs the rear. I don't like the idea of the glass being stowed up for my needs. I would of course wrap the all-thread in pipe foam to protect the side glass and shell.

I dont store it on that. I built a rack for it to store vertically against the wall.

20210809_165441.jpg

20210809_163725.jpg

I dont store it on that. I built a rack for it to store vertically against the wall.

View attachment 399164

View attachment 399166

Is there a reason you don't store it on that? Ie..... you don't trust it hanging long term, you just don't want it in the air, etc?

Personally, I have ceiling height to store out of way, I don't want to compromise floor space. Hated it all last summer on my floor.

Is there a reason you don't store it on that? Ie..... you don't trust it hanging long term, you just don't want it in the air, etc?

Personally, I have ceiling height to store out of way, I don't want to compromise floor space. Hated it all last summer on my floor.

Mines been hanging for 3 years, no issues.

Reactions: grabeb