DIY Overhead Radio Mount

Kurt_S

Supporting Member
I got this idea from another member who I'd really like to give credit to, but I can't find the thread. Simple mount made of 48" black shelf track, 1 5/8" chainlink fence bracket and 5/16 fasteners.
IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

Nice looking install. That came out very clean.

How do you store your hand mic when driving?

I was planning on making one out of uni-strut, when I found the ARR mount. The ARR mount was about the same amount of money as a piece of uni-strut was at Rip-Off Homeless Despot prices - and took zero work.

With that said, I now wish I had gone ahead with the uni-strut idea. As nice as the ARR mount is, the uni-strut would have enabled a "cable tray" idea much like shown in the above pix. I have entirely too many wires tye-wrapped to the backside of my ARR as I now have 3 radios and 1 amp on the thing.

Reactions: Kurt_S
Nice looking install. That came out very clean.

How do you store your hand mic when driving?
.... ummm.... that's the part I haven't figured out yet. I may wrap the cord around the bracket to shorten it up and put the mic clip on the underside, that way it's close to my head and I don't need a longer cord... but, I have to figure out the specifics.

I also have VERY crazy and over engineered idea based on a part I saw on the forums. It's a CAT5 plug that mounts to the dash. I'd attach the extension where the mic plugs in and then plug the mic in somewhere on the dash and put the mic hanger somewhere convenient.

(Edit No. 4): Midland also sells an extension. The extension needs to be RJ12

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheeler
I was planning on making one out of uni-strut, when I found the ARR mount. The ARR mount was about the same amount of money as a piece of uni-strut was at Rip-Off Homeless Despot prices - and took zero work.

With that said, I now wish I had gone ahead with the uni-strut idea. As nice as the ARR mount is, the uni-strut would have enabled a "cable tray" idea much like shown in the above pix. I have entirely too many wires tye-wrapped to the backside of my ARR as I now have 3 radios and 1 amp on the thing.
I looked at the ARR mount, and it is REALLY simple which I like. However, it's currently $70 for the mount, and $15 for shipping. I made mine for about $20.

Reactions: wes11b10 and Zorba
.... ummm.... that's the part I haven't figured out yet. I may wrap the cord around the bracket to shorten it up and put the mic clip on the underside, that way it's close to my head and I don't need a longer cord... but, I have to figure out the specifics.

I also have VERY crazy and over engineered idea based on a part I saw on the forums. It's a CAT5 plug that mounts to the dash. I'd attach the extension where the mic plugs in and then plug the mic in somewhere on the dash and put the mic hanger somewhere convenient.

(Edit number 3): Midland also sells an extension.

20220209_150008.jpg

One is hung on the rail, the other in a clip.

just below the mirror
That’s what I’m trying to work around. I can’t stand stuff like that when driving. I find it very distracting, (I don’t mean that as a criticism of your setup.) I was hoping someone had a simple solution for that.

I like the idea of a remote plug or perhaps an extended cable where I could place the hand mic down low. I’ll have to take a look into that.

(Edit No. 4): Midland also sells an extension. The extension needs to be RJ12
I like the idea of extending the cable. My radio is a 2 meter rig with an RJ45 plug and jack. I have several pieces of 7/8” strut lying around. Making a mount from that should be pretty easy.

That’s what I’m trying to work around. I can’t stand stuff like that when driving. I find it very distracting, (I don’t mean that as a criticism of your setup.) I was hoping someone had a simple solution for that.

I like the idea of a remote plug or perhaps an extended cable where I could place the hand mic down low. I’ll have to take a look into that.
Mounting the mic on the dash is a better idea. I tried to do it with the CB, but could never make it work. The CB is going away soon and I'll be trying again with the GMRS using a rj45 coupler like what is shown above, just not a $45 one. 😉

Reactions: Wheeler
Here's what I did:

2fd.jpg

Magnetic mount. This WILL NOT WORK on rough trails - but I move them to the ARR mount proper when the going gets rough. But they're nice and out of the way otherwise. I'm not convinced I'll be keeping this permanently, its an experiment in progress.

Reactions: Kurt_S and Wheeler