DIY Paint for Black Fender Flares

Stull 1968

I have 1998 Jeep Wrangler with black fender flares that look gray. Has anyone done a DIY paint job on these, and what black was used (gloss or flat?)

A couple of choices are SEM Trim black ultra matte, SEM Landau black, SEM Bumper Coater.
There are several other threads discussing the procedure.

Last edited:
I used SEM Bumper Coater. Clean, scuff, spray. Made for plastics and no adhesive promoter required, remains flexible, and is UV stable.

Well, I am a first time user and Jeep owner so at least give me one screw-up. For what it’s worth, the first guy on the thread referred me to SEM and that was a big plus. I guess a forum for pro’s and novice/idiots might be helpful. If I could delete the thread to ease your stress I would, but I can’t. If you can delete because you’re a moderator, delete away.

Well, I am a first time user and Jeep owner so at least give me one screw-up.
You're welcome here, some people can just get a little burnt out. Everybody asks similar questions, yours is nothing new and there are people here to help. Some people would rather you just stay in the shadows and lurk but I enjoy new people saying hello even if it's a question that is pretty common. Post a picture of your Jeep if you want.

Last edited:
You're welcome here, @JMT is just a little burnt out. Everybody asks similar questions, yours is nothing new and there are people here to help. Some people would rather you just stay in the shadows and lurk but I enjoy new people saying hello even if it's a question that is pretty common. Post a picture of your Jeep if you want.
I’d stoop, but I don’t bend over. You could be helpful. You know more than I do about most of this stuff. Send the guy a thread he can read and get all the opinions. You already said Hi. Oh, and there is a Welcome area for that.

The only

A9BF9663-1CBF-4B5B-BC1B-2203EA793A0B.jpeg

I have 1998 Jeep Wrangler with black fender flares that look gray. Has anyone done a DIY paint job on these, and what black was used (gloss or flat?)
Your jeep is one of my favorite colors. I used duplicolor bed armor on mine. Some like it, some don’t. It has a texture but is not as aggressive as say rhino liner or the like. Whatever you choose, prep is the key.
2F810825-2E42-4FAE-8D97-A20A3A9FD7E3.jpeg

Here’s a link to another thread on this topic that has some good prep tips.
Post in thread 'Best paint for fender flares?'
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/best-paint-for-fender-flares.34122/post-556345

Why the fuck even paint them? Flood Penetrol twice a year and a Can of it will last a lifetime!

Not recommended by me for hardtops though as it can run down black duco but bumper plastic side steps and anything faded ABS and rubber brings them back like new.

What is flood Penetrol? - AskingLot.com

Lemme get this straight... You just wipe them down with Penetrol and that brings back the black?

• Face Palm
Reactions: JMT
Your jeep is one of my favorite colors. I used duplicolor bed armor on mine. Some like it, some don’t. It has a texture but is not as aggressive as say rhino liner or the like. Whatever you choose, prep is the key. View attachment 285469
Here’s a link to another thread on this topic that has some good prep tips.
Post in thread 'Best paint for fender flares?'
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/best-paint-for-fender-flares.34122/post-556345
There aren't many things I dislike about your Jeep but that shit you sprayed on the flares and other bits should be grounds for revoking Jeep ownership.

• Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep