DIY Paint for Black Fender Flares

I’ve done a set of flares with sem ultra matte black and I have done a set with monstaliner color matched to the dark khaki color found on some flares. My advice on prep is to wet scrub the hell out of the flares with scotchbrite, simple green, and water. After they have been rinsed and dried, shoot a light coat of bulldog adhesion promoter, skip the primer, and then apply your paint of choice. Also don’t use acetone or any kind of solvent. Products like those don’t play nice with plastic and paint adhesion will be poor.

96A11E5F-DEAE-46CA-9DB2-12D44218C117.jpeg

B8345C61-A2C0-4059-BE5F-969430A389D7.jpeg

A530B02B-6402-4376-98E7-6659D1C117D9.png

Reactions: pagrey
@AndyG has the forms for that but I have to warn you, we are backlogged with angry bird requests so it could take some time.
That is a form 1062 TJORF (TJ Ownership Revocation Form).

I’m covered up, but with Blaine's input Chris may can speed it up and we can have it on Craigslist next week. Need a valuation form attached to all the paperwork.

I may incur the wrath of Khan here but I'll risk it. I'm new to the forum and Wranglers or Jeeps that have something other than metal on them. I recently asked this question as well but refrained from asking if those who have done this preferred to remove the flairs for painting or masked them. Looking in the wheel wells it did seem too big a job to remove them. Masking can leave edges that look like you did not remove them. Advice???

BTW, I look for previous posts on subject matter before posting but in many cases don't put the correct info in the request to get the post(s), only to be referred to them after I ask the question. So it's not always just taking the easy street to get answers. Okay...fire away, I can take it.

I may incur the wrath of Khan here but I'll risk it. I'm new to the forum and Wranglers or Jeeps that have something other than metal on them. I recently asked this question as well but refrained from asking if those who have done this preferred to remove the flairs for painting or masked them. Looking in the wheel wells it did seem too big a job to remove them. Masking can leave edges that look like you did not remove them. Advice???

BTW, I look for previous posts on subject matter before posting but in many cases don't put the correct info in the request to get the post(s), only to be referred to them after I ask the question. So it's not always just taking the easy street to get answers. Okay...fire away, I can take it.
Take them off

Reactions: nathanotis

I didn't remove mine and you can not tell the difference. Just get your tape down between the flares and the fenders.

One for and one against. I suppose it's how good you are with the tape and the tape you use. A friend of mine used the three step process you can get from O'Reillys and taped his to restore the original black look. It's been holding up for a year and he did a good job taping but I can tell it's beginning to fade a little. As I mentioned in a previous post I kinda like the gray look against the Patriot Blue paint so I'm going to try paint first. If I don't like it then go back to the SEM produce. All my taste is in my mouth so the wife might chastise my choice. After all, she chose me so she must have good taste. We shall see and maybe I can post a picture after the job is done.

One for and one against. I suppose it's how good you are with the tape and the tape you use. A friend of mine used the three step process you can get from O'Reillys and taped his to restore the original black look. It's been holding up for a year and he did a good job taping but I can tell it's beginning to fade a little. As I mentioned in a previous post I kinda like the gray look against the Patriot Blue paint so I'm going to try paint first. If I don't like it then go back to the SEM produce. All my taste is in my mouth so the wife might chastise my choice. After all, she chose me so she must have good taste. We shall see and maybe I can post a picture after the job is done.
If you like the gray look, there’s a SEM Color Coat for that!

I vote take the flares off.

Okay. The critics have me reaching for the wrenches instead of the masking tape. Alas, it's raining right now and this too shall have to wait. Appreciate all the replies and I will look at that SEM Gray

Okay. The critics have me reaching for the wrenches instead of the masking tape. Alas, it's raining right now and this too shall have to wait. Appreciate all the replies and I will look at that SEM Gray
Hard to tell from a color card or plastic cap, but there should be some good choices here:

https://manage.semproducts.com/publ...C Color Coat Aerosols Color Card_0418_Web.pdf
As others have said, with meticulous surface prep and quality paint, it should look good and last a fairly long time. Consider a matte clear coat for a longer-lasting finish.

Had no idea SEM made so many colors. I've been going bonkers over trying to determine the color and supplier of my recently acquired 2010 class C motor home front cap cover. There are no parts I can take off to get a color match and Itasca/Winnebago calls the paint Mineral Gray but looks like metallic bronze. I finally got a paint (DuPont) number so will go to an auto paint store and see what it might look like. But there is probably something on this chart that is close. Appreciate the link.

I’ve done a set of flares with sem ultra matte black and I have done a set with monstaliner color matched to the dark khaki color found on some flares. My advice on prep is to wet scrub the hell out of the flares with scotchbrite, simple green, and water. After they have been rinsed and dried, shoot a light coat of bulldog adhesion promoter, skip the primer, and then apply your paint of choice. Also don’t use acetone or any kind of solvent. Products like those don’t play nice with plastic and paint adhesion will be poor.

View attachment 285523

View attachment 285524

View attachment 285525
Hello, in reference to the monstaliner color matched dark khaki. How and where did you get the math done? I’m looking to monserline a set of flat hurricane fenders in dark khaki to match my oem rubihara flares. Thanks for info!! [email protected]

I left them on. Just get the tape in behind the flares then mask the fender. It was quick and easy and you could never tell whether they were done on or off.

Hello, in reference to the monstaliner color matched dark khaki. How and where did you get the math done? I’m looking to monserline a set of flat hurricane fenders in dark khaki to match my oem rubihara flares. Thanks for info!! [email protected]
I didn’t follow a paint code I just did it by eyeball. Monstaliner has quite a few tints you can choose from and I requested several samples and then bought a few to mix and match. Use the tints “dirtbag” and “charcoal.” I used the entire contents of the dirtbag tint and then added charcoal tint (it didn’t take much) until it almost perfectly matched the color of my hardtop in the sunlight (don’t use ambient light).