Do GMRS antennas need grounding?

Like @TJ Starting says you don't need to worry about ground on a GMRS antenna like this without a ground plane. If you did have a ground plane like the one @NOTNSUV has all you have to do is connect the NMO ground to the metal ground plane. You don't need to ground to the Jeep. If you want to spend effort to improve your setup grounding the antenna to the Jeep is not the answer, getting a functional ground plane like what @NOTNSUV has is the right way to do it.

One I set up for a friend...
Screenshot_20220208-221819_Gallery.jpg

My own... sorry best pic I have of it right now.
20220208_221951.jpg

As I said, both work great.

Like @TJ Starting says you don't need to worry about ground on a GMRS antenna like this without a ground plane. If you did have a ground plane like the one @NOTNSUV has all you have to do is connect the NMO ground to the metal ground plane. You don't need to ground to the Jeep. If you want to spend effort to improve your setup grounding the antenna to the Jeep is not the answer, getting a functional ground plane like what @NOTNSUV has is the right way to do it.
I understand the challenges with Jeeps and trying to find a GP. I got lucky.
1/4 wave antenna (usually ideal) in GMRS is 6". CB is a 102" whip. 460Mhz vs. 27Mhz

Reactions: pagrey
I have the Midland MXT275 mounted under my steering column. I bought their trunk lip mount and attached it to my cowl panel on the passenger side. I then cut the cable and soldered in a “quick connect” setup to shorten it up to the actual needed length (its like 18’ long as delivered). Then mounted my Midland Ghost Antenna on it. No added grounds anywhere. I can talk to truckers on the highway miles and miles across town. As clear as if they were standing at my passenger door. I do have the MXT275’s speaker, mic speaker and Midland external speaker all enabled. I love it…

4B2D55A7-7099-40FA-8D14-2D432B6DDBFE.jpeg
8849D351-FA1A-48C5-8BD6-179172F48619.jpeg
AE11C06F-2CBF-4C45-A9C6-3149EAA68DED.jpeg
01D31909-A455-4728-BF53-BC080B1AEFF8.jpeg
7F5B70DD-869A-47C0-AB0C-F66600743932.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Thanks everyone. This plastic washer came with the antenna cable, does anyone know where it is supposed to go?
image.jpg
image.jpg

It came like this, but i don’t see how the teeth on the bottom piece can grab the metal on the mount if i put that washer in.

Thanks everyone. This plastic washer came with the antenna cable, does anyone know where it is supposed to go?
View attachment 308457View attachment 308458
It came like this, but i don’t see how the teeth on the bottom piece can grab the metal on the mount if i put that washer in.
Hmmm... let me see if I have one from Antenna Farm to compare.. standby.

It can go on the top just under the outer threaded ring, sometimes people don't want to thread that thing down onto a painted surface like a hood or trunk and use the bushing. If you don't put it on the bottom side those little fingers will still bite. The little gap in your picture just above the folded washer where the brass shows through is where the mounting bracket would fit in. Once you have an antenna on there you wont see the gap between the upper brass threads and the support bracket that bushing creates. Some mounts don't have it, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: kiwi and NOTNSUV
Is it alive!?

Is there any kind of gasket between the base of the antenna and the mounting surface?
If not, I'd be concerned with water ingress and resulting corrosion.

Last edited:
Dielectric grease, heat shrink and butyl rubber tape are your friends for keeping water out of antenna connections, coax, and electrical.

When I installed vsat dishes in Afghanistan we'd add a glob of dielectric instead the coax, then wrap everything with butyl rubber tape.

Oh and Breedlove mounts are the best IMHO...they have CB and GMRS.

-Mac

Reactions: kiwi and NOTNSUV
Is it alive!?

Is there any kind of gasket between the base of the antenna and the mounting surface?
If not, I'd be concerned with water ingress and resulting corrosion.
It's alive!
There isn't a gasket, as one didn't come with it. Should i make a gasket out of some gasket material?

It's alive!
There isn't a gasket, as one didn't come with it. Should i make a gasket out of some gasket material?
Silicone will be fine. I keep a tube handy for this stuff. Run a bead around the base and wipe off the excess with your finger...dip your finger in isopropyl alcohol for a less messy finish.

I lost my first GMRS antenna...base stayed put, the little set screw worked loose. If you have a set screw might want a dab of blue thread locker.

-Mac

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Gaskets are a few bucks on ebay and under $10 for five on amazon. I think Tram 1291 would work if you want an easy solution.

Last edited: