Do hard top and soft tops both use the same tailgate retainer bar clips?

Johnnie Hough

Please advise if the soft top and hard top use the same tailgate retainer bar clips?

Background:

The hard top rear window rattles, I was told that the hard top uses different tailgate retainer bar clips?

Thansk

Reactions: Daveh370 and nk24
I bought the 5 foot and trimmed to fit

Reactions: anarce and nk24
I dont think the hard top came with the same type retainers if any at all.
this solved my rattle issue.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma... (Per Foot) - Incandescent Bulbs - Amazon.com...

You can also try to adjust the glass down and tighten it back up.
That didn't work for me so plan B ^

EDITED - already asked/answered while I typed. Thanks a bunch for including pictures - would you say that addressed the problem? I'm thinking it might keep the glass more firmly in place in my situation...

Can you elaborate on how you used the item you linked? I ask because I too adjusted the glass myself and re-tightened. Dealer also took a shot at it. Both times it got a little better but definitely didn't solve the problem. Struts are fine and window opens/stays open as it should.

As far as I can tell, the only issue is that even with the tailgate firmly closed, there is still maybe a 1/4" of "play" in the window. If I try to open the glass with the tailgate shut for example, it can come out that little bit and so when I drive over bumps, that's the rattle I'm hearing.

I was thinking of trying to fashion some sort of rubber "bumper" to sit between it and the spare tire holder to keep it flush and closed tight.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Can you elaborate on how you used the item you linked? I ask because I too adjusted the glass myself and re-tightened. Dealer also took a shot at it. Both times it got a little better but definitely didn't solve the problem. Struts are fine and window opens/stays open as it should.

As far as I can tell, the only issue is that even with the tailgate firmly closed, there is still maybe a 1/4" of "play" in the window. If I try to open the glass with the tailgate shut for example, it can come out that little bit and so when I drive over bumps, that's the rattle I'm hearing.

I was thinking of trying to fashion some sort of rubber "bumper" to sit between it and the spare tire holder to keep it flush and closed tight. Wondering if this would work better...

Yes I became so irritated with the rattle I had a dish towel (seen above) to keep it quiet. This slides on the tailgate, shut your glass and the tailgate makes a much better contact

Ha I can't remember if it was you I responded to about this in another thread but yeah, also considered that. Too much snow and below freezing temps here to keep an ice rag sitting out there...

I'm gonna give this a shot I think. Cheers.

Please advise if the soft top and hard top use the same tailgate retainer bar clips?

Background:

The hard top rear window rattles, I was told that the hard top uses different tailgate retainer bar clips?

Thansk
Do you have a photo of the bottom edge of your hard top glass?

Yes I became so irritated with the rattle I had a dish towel (seen above) to keep it quiet. This slides on the tailgate, shut your glass and the tailgate makes a much better contact

This worked very well by the way, thanks. It put a tiiiiny but of pressure on the tailgate latch initially and I could hear it sounded a little different when opening but it seems to have since broken in.

I had already removed the soft top clips but this really mitigated leftover rattling/shaking. I'm pleased for $9.99

This worked very well by the way, thanks. It put a tiiiiny but of pressure on the tailgate latch initially and I could hear it sounded a little different when opening but it seems to have since broken in.

I had already removed the soft top clips but this really mitigated leftover rattling/shaking. I'm pleased for $9.99

That’s funny. I can hear the pitch change on my tailgate after removing the top, and I have tool bags on the tailgate which sounds different depending on the weight of the tools back there.

That's a little unusual... Put on the same added trim piece and it made mine very very snug.

Your side gaskets around the glass may be collapsed.

also the strike plate on the tailgate is adjustable where you can make it close further.

Realistically that glass shouldn't move it all with the tailgate shut.

The retainer clips are indeed different for the hard and soft tops. After buying a factory hard top 20 years ago I found that I also needed to buy the hardtop version of the retainer clips so the rear glass window would be held down properly.

Also, and I'm not trying to get off in the weeds, I think there are some differences from earlier hardtops to later hardtops and how things are configured...Jerry would very likely have some input if it has any significance

Also, and I'm not trying to get off in the weeds, I think there are some differences from earlier hardtops to later hardtops and how things are configured...
The only difference in the TJ's Mopar hard tops has to do with venting for the interior. In 2002 and older the hard top has a pair of vents mounted on the rear sides of the hard top. In 2003 and newer the vents in the hard top were removed and a vent was added to the tailgate. Otherwise they're pretty much the same everywhere else. :)

That's a little unusual... Put on the same added trim piece and it made mine very very snug.

Your side gaskets around the glass may be collapsed.

also the strike plate on the tailgate is adjustable where you can make it close further.

Realistically that glass shouldn't move it all with the tailgate shut.

Not unusual as in that my tailgate is fine. Strike plate and everything has no wear. It’s just something my ears picked up. Probably nothing at all

The only difference in the TJ's Mopar hard tops has to do with venting for the interior. In 2002 and older the hard top has a pair of vents mounted on the rear sides of the hard top. In 2003 and newer the vents in the hard top were removed and a vent was added to the tailgate. Otherwise they're pretty much the same everywhere else. :)
Cool. I'm tracking ya Jerry . Mine has the tailgate one way vents as well for the non vented top.

The retainer clips are indeed different for the hard and soft tops. After buying a factory hard top 20 years ago I found that I also needed to buy the hardtop version of the retainer clips so the rear glass window would be held down properly.

Hi Jerry,

I just purchased a hardtop, and took the rear retainer clips off that came with my soft top, because they look like they would interfere with the glass window closing fully. I wanted to be sure, are there clips that I can buy that screw into the same location that help the glass stay secured? Right now it looks like i'm missing something.

IMG_6520.jpeg

IMG_6521.jpeg

Hi Jerry,

I just purchased a hardtop, and took the rear retainer clips off that came with my soft top, because they look like they would interfere with the glass window closing fully. I wanted to be sure, are there clips that I can buy that screw into the same location that help the glass stay secured? Right now it looks like i'm missing something.

View attachment 191977

View attachment 191978
What you have is it, nothing missing.