Do I have to use full synthetic motor oil in my TJ?

Boy, COVID got us All uptight!!!!! I think I’m gonna invest in a keyboard company, cause everyone beating the shit out of their keyboard these days.

Reactions: tjmaciii
Just did oil change with high mileage conventional 10w-30. The oil came out deep black-didn’t seem too thick, but definitely was past time. No idea how diligent the PO was on maintenance. Would I be better off changing the oil again pretty quickly, like at 1000 miles? Or is it fine now to just keep it on a 3-5k interval?

Synthetic blend...
LOL...
Not laughing at you but seriously...
In a day when you can buy an oil change jug of full synthetic for $20 ... or 3.49 per quart of full synthetic...

Come on!!!!!!

Get some full synthetic 10w30 (whatever the hell brand you want) and fuhgetaboutit
Agreed. Up here in Montana I use FULL synthetic in all three of my vehicles. Since oil breaks down most when the temps are warm/hot, I change oil every spring. And since I only change the oil once a year it is actually cheaper. Synthetic blends do not provide the same level of protection. I've been doing this for many years now and all my engines are in great shape and the old oil still looks good without any signs of sludge, excessive oxidation or ferrous content. On my last gas-up the Jeep achieved 20 MPG.

Mind you, I seldom exceed 10,000 annual miles on a vehicle. (As a freelance software engineer I work from home, my work commute is to the office is a walk upstairs.) For the Jeep I have lot's of challenging trails nearby, and I rarely use it for long road trips. On those years where we take long road trips to Canada for visits to the ailing out-law in-laws, or elsewhere way down South, then I may change the oil in the road-trip-vehicle in the fall. Then, even if I could delay an oil change in the road-trip-vehicle, I always change the oil in all three vehicles every spring just to keep my annual "change-all-the-oil-day" in sync for the following year.

Also, the best sale reductions for full synthetic come in the spring.

Reactions: AaronPaul
Just did oil change with high mileage conventional 10w-30. The oil came out deep black-didn’t seem too thick, but definitely was past time. No idea how diligent the PO was on maintenance. Would I be better off changing the oil again pretty quickly, like at 1000 miles? Or is it fine now to just keep it on a 3-5k interval?
You can easily stick at 3k. If there was any damage from the PO its already done, no need to change out at 1k. Go 3K and see how it looks. If you are doing a lot of off roading or sitting in serious heavy traffic you may even be able to go 5k before you next change

Reactions: tjmaciii