Do I need a SYE?

DakotaReinhardt

Hey guys I'm new to the group, I have a 2005 tj 4.0 i6, 6 speed. I am looking into the zone 3" lift and want to know if I need the SYE? Also any tips on what else I should get with my lift would be great. Already getting the crossover steering kit going to get the track bar and a new pitman arm.
20200423_102525.jpg
20200423_102521.jpg

Cancel the steering order. Cancel the pitman arm order (unless your buying a stock arm to replace a dropped arm).

At 3" a 1" mml would help with the driveline angle and you may find you need to drop the tcase skid with a few washers is all.

Last edited:
First off, do the smart thing and cancel the crossover steering as @tworley said. That is a huge mistake, and if you don't know why, you need to do your research first.

I'll let you start here:

What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Secondly, cancel the pitman arm unless it's a STOCK (not dropped) pitman arm.

We're trying to save you from making a number of rookie mistakes.

Basically everything @tworley said is spot on, I'm just reiterating it.

I'd recommended a SYE kit. There are several kits out there. I went with the shortest kit available so my drive shaft would be longer, I believe it was Teraflex.

Cancel the steering order. Cancel the pitman arm order (unless your buying a stock arm to replace a dropped arm).

At 3" a 1" mml would help with the driveline angle and you may find you need to drop the tcase skid with a few washers is all.
First off, do the smart thing and cancel the crossover steering as @tworley said. That is a huge mistake, and if you don't know why, you need to do your research first.

I'll let you start here:

What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Secondly, cancel the pitman arm unless it's a STOCK (not dropped) pitman arm.

We're trying to save you from making a number of rookie mistakes.

Basically everything @tworley said is spot on, I'm just reiterating it.
The only reason I was getting the vrossover kit is because I went and got new tires and the said I need new ball joints, tie rod ends, the adjustment buckle on the rod off the steering box. So don't get that?

I'd recommended a SYE kit. There are several kits out there. I went with the shortest kit available so my drive shaft would be longer, I believe it was Teraflex.

Why would you recommend a SYE for a zone lift? It uses fixed length control arms. If he goes with a SYE he would need adjustable control arms and a new driveshaft.

Agree with the others, you need to cancel the order for the high steer and dropped Pitman. There is a much better steering upgrade called the Currie Heavy Duty steering system which doesn't cause any steering problems like a high steer does. Neither does it need a dropped Pitman arm.

You don't need to get the SYE in advance. You need it if you have vibes after the lift. There is no point in spending money to fix a problem you don't have. I'd suggest calling Zone, they will give you some honest feedback about how many people end up needing a SYE, after all they sell this kit.

Why would you recommend a SYE for a zone lift? It uses fixed length control arms. If he goes with a SYE he would need adjustable control arms and a new driveshaft.

I'd rather install the SYE than shim the transmission skid plate, but that's just me. No, he doesn't need one, there are ways around it as mentioned above. I have 4" of lift on my Jeep and no adjustable control arms so the arms are not necessary.

Okay so I think I will pass on the SYE for the moment unless I need it or I will do the 1"MML. So I guess what should I do about my steering components. Like I said earlier I got new tires and they went to do an alignment but they said I needed new tie rod ends, the adjustment buckle on the arm from the steering box. what would I buy instead of the steinjager crossover kit?

Okay so I think I will pass on the SYE for the moment unless I need it or I will do the 1"MML. So I guess what should I do about my steering components. Like I said earlier I got new tires and they went to do an alignment but they said I needed new tie rod ends, the adjustment buckle on the arm from the steering box. what would I buy instead of the steinjager crossover kit?
Are you wheeling at all? I'd suggest either new TREs and an adustment buckle or upgrade to the ZJ steering setup.

This is the recommended steering upgrade if is within your budget. Best price I could find when shopping http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=142794680477

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.