Do you have a sunshade?

I know Blaine doesn't like them and says they don't produce 'shade'.
They do block some of the sun which reduces the amount of direct sunlight which reduces the amount of heat felt.
No different than a pergola or lattice over a patio.
I would also say it blocks air flow. It may not reduce the turbulence, but it would direct air over it more than through it.

IMO, there is a noticeable difference.

What people have to remember is they work differently in different parts of the country- They may not be as popular in southern California or Arizona where it gets extremely hot but in temperate climate they are fantastic and they can keep you from burning alive at a red light-

I’m thinking of installing this Bimini top on my Jeep.
Mastertop Bimini Top
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...full-door-cab-cover-combo-jeep-wrangler-yj-tj

Here’s the deciding factor for me: I’ve got two young kids that love Jeep rides, but hate the amount of wind when we are at highway speeds (55 mph). Unfortunately, some amount of highway driving is necessary for us to get to back roads and fun places.

Do any of these tops help reduce some of the wind experience for passengers in the backseat?
I originally had a spiderwebshade (the SW1) and the sides on my Jeep. I took my 3 year old on a camping trip to the desert and on the way back to San Diego we went over an elevated pass and the cold mountain air in the evening hours was just rushing into the Jeep from behind and billowing his hooded jacket. I felt so bad for him because I had only brought his one jacket and it was pretty cold out (I didn't have the soft top on - at all - at the time).

When I got home I ordered a the small TJ shade from alienshade and put that on the very back, so it basically goes from below the back seat up and overlaps with the spiderwebshade up top, covering the rear of the Jeep.

Obviously it doesn't eliminate the wind but it helps cut down on the draftiness.

I originally had a spiderwebshade (the SW1) and the sides on my Jeep. I took my 3 year old on a camping trip to the desert and on the way back to San Diego we went over an elevated pass and the cold mountain air in the evening hours was just rushing into the Jeep from behind and billowing his hooded jacket. I felt so bad for him because I had only brought his one jacket and it was pretty cold out (I didn't have the soft top on - at all - at the time).

When I got home I ordered a the small TJ shade from alienshade and put that on the very back, so it basically goes from below the back seat up and overlaps with the spiderwebshade up top, covering the rear of the Jeep.

Obviously it doesn't eliminate the wind but it helps cut down on the draftiness.

I am a real fan of excursions with the top off-

Situations like this and rain storms really make me love the versatility of the frameless Rampage top- I’m planning a 7 drive Saturday to go white water rafting, one way.... it’s in the mountains and between that and coming home late at night having the option to put up the top is perfect-

I may get out voted and have to take my F250-

This reminds me of us coming back from the jeep invasion a few years ago and we had a guy in the backseat and he was just getting beat to death by the spiderweb top in the center- I think mine runs a little longer because I put an LJ top on a TJ- The kid was about 14 and he didn’t want to complain so he didn’t say anything for about four hours of driving.😆

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
170BA58E-B084-43E6-A2C9-E51C4B861D78.jpeg

But of course.

Reactions: RangerTJ

With no top, the wind usually goes up and over the windshield and down behind the front row and blows from the back.
A bikini top moves some of that action to behind the second row.

Before I had mine, the polished B&M handle on my shifter felt like it would remove a couple layers of skin after sitting in the sun.

Now it gets warm but not bad at all.

Steering wheel doesn't get hot on top either.

Where I am located we rarely have direct sunlight though so it's usually coming in at an angle.

I have one on my JKU, and love it. It blocks some sun, enough most of the time. It doesn't block rain, which shouldn't be surprising. On one of the TJ's I have an alien sunshade for an LJ, which extends much further down the back to give the back seat more sun relief. The place we go wheeling most often results in a long drive due east in the late afternoon, which puts the sun right on their heads. Also knocks down the wind back there.

Now having said that, I prefer the TJ sized one, which I have on my other TJ. It fits nicely under the hard top, so whenever I take the hard top off I still have a little sun relief. It's not a solid top so don't expect it to function like one. But it breathes better than a soft top even w/o the doors & windows on. Heat rises, I guess.

Also if a bird poops on your jeep, the alien will give you pretty good protection. As me how I know.

My dad recommendation is to use something like this- Factory top provides the shade, wind blocker to mitigate the wind for the driver/passenger and sets expectation to the kids of their family position😁

IMG_3583.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: hear
Another vote for the alien sunshade.
We love ours. I love the fact that I can keep it on all the time. I also have the Rugged Ridge cargo net thing for the back seat. It's a great combination.

Reactions: Brokenarrow
I like my sunshade but rarely run with out my Trektop on in safari mode. I’ll pull the windows and flip open the sun rider. When we ran the Rubicon we stored both upper doors and all the windows on the sunshade and underneath the Trektop.

If the Trektop does come off the shade stays on.

I have an Alien sunshade that I’ve left on under the hardtop/trektop for quite awhile now. I haven’t really used it so it’s been folded back on itself leaving the front exposed. Been meaning to take it off but I guess i leave it in as my way of storing it.

Personally I’ve found that it takes away head room since it hangs low, it doesn’t block enough sun, and doesn’t give me the open top feel if I flip the sunrider back. So I prefer to run safari style and on overcast days or evening drives when the sun isn’t roasting me, I’ll flip the sunrider back, which gives me more of a top down feel.

I have a SpiderWeb ShadeTop that I have been using this summer. I feel like it blocks the sun a pretty good amount. It does cut down on headroom in the back seat of the LJ though. If I have adults riding in the back seat I pull it off.

I have a SpiderWeb ShadeTop that I have been using this summer. I feel like it blocks the sun a pretty good amount. It does cut down on headroom in the back seat of the LJ though. If I have adults riding in the back seat I pull it off.

One thing I like about the Spiderwebshade is how easy it is to change configurations. For example my older kids wanted to stand up in the backseat on a trail so we just folded the shade forward around the soundbar and anchored it with the elastic ties.

Montrose Jeeping-064.jpeg

Montrose Jeeping-041.jpeg

Montrose Jeeping-069.jpeg

I’m thinking of installing this Bimini top on my Jeep.
Mastertop Bimini Top
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...full-door-cab-cover-combo-jeep-wrangler-yj-tj

Here’s the deciding factor for me: I’ve got two young kids that love Jeep rides, but hate the amount of wind when we are at highway speeds (55 mph). Unfortunately, some amount of highway driving is necessary for us to get to back roads and fun places.

Do any of these tops help reduce some of the wind experience for passengers in the backseat?

The mesh shades aren’t going to do anything significant to stop the wind.

Your best friend to stop wind is a soft top.