Do you have a sunshade?

Jvojvojvo

I’m thinking of installing this Bimini top on my Jeep.
Mastertop Bimini Top
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...full-door-cab-cover-combo-jeep-wrangler-yj-tj

Here’s the deciding factor for me: I’ve got two young kids that love Jeep rides, but hate the amount of wind when we are at highway speeds (55 mph). Unfortunately, some amount of highway driving is necessary for us to get to back roads and fun places.

Do any of these tops help reduce some of the wind experience for passengers in the backseat?

I'd say no. I had my granddaughter in the back seat about a month ago with just the safari top on and half doors. Her hair was blowing around into her face the whole time just driving around town.

I have the Alien sunshade and I don't know what I did without it.

When I first got it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

The whole reason for the Jeep was the open air driving aspect of it and I wasn't sure I'd like having that always up there.

So I ran it for a week, then took it back off.

It was back on within a day. It doesn't diminish the open air feel at all.

I have the half doors and combined with the sunscreen there is very little turbulence in the cab compared to the other Jeeps I've had.

A couple of bonuses are that neither my steering wheel nor B&M shifter handle are like grabbing a skillet after the Jeep sitting in the sun for a while.

I can't speak to backseat turbulence as I have my backseat removed currently.

I have the Alien sunshade and I don't know what I did without it.

When I first got it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

The whole reason for the Jeep was the open air driving aspect of it and I wasn't sure I'd like having that always up there.

So I ran it for a week, then took it back off.

It was back on within a day. It doesn't diminish the open air feel at all.

I have the half doors and combined with the sunscreen there is very little turbulence in the cab compared to the other Jeeps I've had.

A couple of bonuses are that neither my steering wheel nor B&M shifter handle are like grabbing a skillet after the Jeep sitting in the sun for a while.

I can't speak to backseat turbulence as I have my backseat removed currently.

^^X2 @Jvojvojvo I’ve got two car seats in back, running the LJ Alienshade on my TJ provides move coverage when the sun is behind and the kids are much happier.

Reactions: Plumber1
I HAD a JK sunshade in our TJ but since I installed the new top, it changed the header configuration and now there's nothing to secure the front of the shade to.
Our old top had a different header bow assembly that bolted to brackets where the factory latches attached. I had made spacers from 1/8" thick aluminum that had holes for clips to attach to.

I want to add a sunshade now that I have 'fixed' the Sunrider feature.

Very little to no difference in wind for the rear passengers.

I have the mesh Spiderweb shade and a solid Bestop bikini top; they’re useful to block sunlight front and rear.

With full doors and the bestop, wind noise is very tolerable for the front, but unchanged for the rear passengers.

A soft top with side windows would make them happier, and it only takes five minutes or less to fold it down and roll the windows when you get off the highway.

Reactions: BlueC
My spider web shade is makes a huge difference with the sun but doesn’t do anything for wind for the kids in the back. I gave my son a pair of ear muffs and now he loves it.

IMG_7001.jpeg

Last edited:
I have an Alienshade, I'm torn on whether I like it enough to keep it. The shade is nice and it goes back far enough to give my 2 year old some relief from the sun, but it sits low and costs some head room. It's a minor thing, but annoying.

Mesh covers do little to nothing for blocking both wind or sun because they are mesh.

I just take the side and rear windows out
Same concept

I never drop the top entirely as I hate the sun beatin on ya

That's my favorite way to ride (y), ⁣but it’s still harder on back seat passengers at speed.

I’ve got my screen on and the top on. Windows out. Now when you are sitting still there is an air layer between the top and the screen and it’s probably twenty degrees cooler sitting still. With just the top on and windows out you can feel the heat radiating off the top. I still get lots of air and my dog stays cooler too.

Reactions: Brokenarrow
Alien Shade w/ the soft top collapsed in the rear for just in case rain. Love it. Probably won't ever take the shade out regardless of the top. Might throw a blanket up there with the hard top on just to see if it helps the noise and a good place to store the emergency winter blanket.

my bikini top is only good for a bit of shade. i ride motorcycles so the wind doesn’t bother me.

I had the Spiderweb Shade on my last TJ and am looking to get it again for my Current TJ. It doesn’t affect wind at all in my opinion, but it absolutely helped with sun exposure! I usually left it on year round, as the top can be up with it still on.

Mesh covers do little to nothing for blocking both wind or sun because they are mesh.

I know Blaine doesn't like them and says they don't produce 'shade'.
They do block some of the sun which reduces the amount of direct sunlight which reduces the amount of heat felt.
No different than a pergola or lattice over a patio.
I would also say it blocks air flow. It may not reduce the turbulence, but it would direct air over it more than through it.

Used to have a Spidershade. There was no meaningful difference with or without it.

IMO, there is a noticeable difference.

I know Blaine doesn't like them and says they don't produce 'shade'.
They do block some of the sun which reduces the amount of direct sunlight which reduces the amount of heat felt.
No different than a pergola or lattice over a patio.
I would also say it blocks air flow. It may not reduce the turbulence, but it would direct air over it more than through it.

IMO, there is a noticeable difference.

I get what it is supposed to do. In my few years of having it, it blocked sun about as well as it blocked rain. I never found the point in having it.