Do you jack up the diffs to properly fill the diff?

I’m going to be cleaning out my differentials when I get some time, and I’ve got a lift. This thread is bringing up a few good points I hadn’t thought to consider.

I checked out this video for some basic info. However, the guy in the video doesn’t say what he’s spraying in the differential to clean it out.

Is he using brake cleaner or something?
I use brake cleaner for the inside of the diffs...don't be shy with it making sure you get everything cleaned out good...there is usually little "pockets" that hold small amounts of gear oil

Ooof i didnt see the arguing. Yea deff swap fluid over time they do become acidic and will eat away at the finish of the gears and seals.
If it is tilted the pink trick wont work. you will need to tap a new hole. BUT if it is tilted hope you have the right drive shaft because the yoke on the axle housing side will sometimes get damaged if tooooooo tilted.

EXAMPLE
1622218259020.png

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
I use brake cleaner for the inside of the diffs...don't be shy with it making sure you get everything cleaned out good...there is usually little "pockets" that hold small amounts of gear oil
Also if you want to DEEEEEP clean that axle jack her up and remove the axles from the housing and clean everything out proper. lil pieces can get trapped in the seals at the ends of the housing causing excessive wear its all alot of work but i would do it every couple years really get down on it.

The amount specified puts the oil at a certain level for a factory cover at the factory angle. Anything other than that, and the amount is irrelevant. It's the level that is important. I suggest making a dipstick to get the proper oil level (which is usually the bottom of the axle).

Reactions: Mr. Bills
Well, fellas. That was a fun read. Only a wrangler forum could get all sciency and pissy over the level of gear lube. For the record, I like to stick my tongue in the hole because it's sterile, and I like the taste.
I could really take this and run but I'm tired, lazy and don't want to be "that guy"

• Haha
Reactions: ItchyDong