Does a 2" lift need different bump stops?

None of my OME coils ever came close to reaching bind when setup correctly. I suspect it is actually quite difficult to achieve bind on most springs where the rest of the suspension is set up the way it ought to be for the given ride height. Metalcloak is fairly unique in their ability to actually reduce valuable travel by design.

The OME trackbar relocation bracket will hit the tub (and perhaps cut the fuel tank harness) with their 20mm (about 3/4 inch) bump stop spacers. You really need at least an inch. An angled relocation bracket like the JKS requires more like 1.5 inches. I have dents in my tub to show for this.

Wow, good info...I was speaking in generalities thinking of my reading that MC 3.5 springs needed like 3" of rear bump stop for this reason. I wouldn't have even thought a 2" spring could reach coil bind before factory bumps.

What's special about BDS springs that they can go to bind without yielding but no one elses can?
Please note: I just thought it was interesting in that single fact, that the BDS springs can achieve full coil bind and live on. There has to be more there, which is what made it stick in my mind. Not say other brands can’t either. I am pretty sure OME advises against it.

I’ve always meant to look into it further. I say this because I was only aware of MetalCloak being one of the only brands that practiced snake oil type hype/marketing. Then again, it would not be my first time being wrong.

Straight from BDS’s website.

2E9217EC-804E-4E50-879C-8CBABEC2A775.jpeg

It must be the material in which it is made or the process in which it is made. Again, I have no idea what advantage it gives the Jeep they are under, the driver behind the wheel, or even the wallet in which the driver sits on. But I am all ears.

The only theory I can bake up would be proof that that can withstand a measurable amount of flexes and keep coming back....? Again, half baked theory off the top of my head.

I would speculate that someone out there smarter than me could answer this easily.

Last edited:
I've never seen anything that says OME coils shouldn't be put into bind. The problem for all coil springs is if they go past bind and overlap. This will ruin the spring.

Years ago when I was experimenting with springs and spacers, I purposely set mine up to nearly reach bind at full bump. I never saw a problem from doing so.

I've never seen anything that says OME coils shouldn't be put into bind. The problem for all coil springs is if they go past bind and overlap. This will ruin the spring.

Years ago when I was experimenting with springs and spacers, I purposely set mine up to nearly reach bind at full bump. I never saw a problem from doing so.
If I had more time, a look through all my coil spring files would likely be of great benefit. I could have sworn I read it in some different places for OME coils.

Don’t take this as OME coil hate. I like them a lot on paper and have intentions on buying a few pairs in the future.

This is what I came up with a brief look into my folders.
E624A369-0AA9-430C-A7BA-39B0E784D6F5.jpeg

Notice the notes, FK16 is pretty vague but mentions the importance (the word, “Mandatory” is used) of a spacer to avoid full coil bind. It’s up to one’s own interpretation as whether it matters any and why its written, since its a brief note.

I would speculate they note it for the purpose of avoiding it. As if they are not built to go full bind. But I cant think what it would hurt....you may can offer some understanding there.

The difference? Only that BDS mentions the fact that it’s coils can survive after full bind and OME doesn't. That does not mean OME can’t.

But does that difference carry any weight?

Can other brand name springs not live after full coil bind?

Like I said, it's the overlap past bind that is the big problem. But more fundamentally, I can't imagine anyone suggesting building a suspension that relies on using the coils as bump stops. For a lot of reasons, just because BDS says you can with their coils doesn't mean you should.

Like I said, it's the overlap past bind that is the big problem. But more fundamentally, I can't imagine anyone suggesting building a suspension that relies on using the coils as bump stops. For a lot of reasons, just because BDS says you can with their coils doesn't mean you should.
As more reason for my snake oil marketing hype comment.

Does have me curious as why BDS would even mention it.

Last edited:
As more reason for my snake oil marketing hype comment.

It feels like marketing BS. Similar to brand X control arm joints having more misalignment than brand Y joints, when brand Y already exceeds the useable amount most can ever squeeze out of the platform. It's a useless feature.

That BDS info describes how every vehicle coil spring is made every step is what others do too. And their steel is no different either. 5160 is used everywhere for spring steel. Leaf springs included. They all are hyd press set. All heat treat. Tho some use a paint instead of powder coat to prevent micro cracking of coating from spring movement. To suggest that slamming a spring to coil bind is ok is border line stupid advertising. Sure, slam that spring to bind. Rip off the mounts! Maybe past borderline stupid. Why sell a suspension and imply to set it up incorrectly? After all the bull 💩 claims they get 🔥 for you would thing they would find a better (honest) marketing strategy.

I suppose if I remove the jounce, the bumpstop extensions, and the shocks, maybe, and only maybe, I might come close to full coil bind.
DSCN0936.JPG

It feels like marketing BS. Similar to brand X control arm joints having more misalignment than brand Y joints, when brand Y already exceeds the useable amount most can ever squeeze out of the platform. It's a useless feature.
The only time I see the misalignment argument working is if the joint body is significantly narrower. And you only see that in heim joints.