Does anybody else hate Bedliner?

One of the POs of my Jeep bedlined the floor, what an utter and total PITA to clean!
I frequently tell folks that it never looks as good as when you are just finished with the install and it goes to hell in a handbasket appearance wise after that. Miserable stuff that should be used somewhere else.

One of the reasons I've never used it and never will. Everyone I know who has used it said it's mess, makes cleaning out the inside five times more difficult, and all around sucks.

I'd rather just get BedTred at that point, or just leave the floor pans the way they came from the factory.

One of the reasons I've never used it and never will. Everyone I know who has used it said it's mess, makes cleaning out the inside five times more difficult, and all around sucks.

I'd rather just get BedTred at that point, or just leave the floor pans the way they came from the factory.
Another product that escapes me. If you want bedliner, get bedliner.

Another product that escapes me. If you want bedliner, get bedliner.

I'd never use it personally. But, at least if you want to remove it, it's easy to remove.

I'm not sure how one goes about getting bedliner off. Aircraft stripper?

Not a fan of the bedliner in the tub either. That said, I have always wondered how it works and holds up on fender flares.

I used Cannonball Truck Bedliner on the entire inside of my tub, the grille, the Rubicon rock guards, the fender flares and both bumpers. This was all done in October. I do have a couple chips in the front bumper and some flaking on the lower grille where it folds forward. I think the grille problem is due to not enough prepping that low.

So far the rock guards, the flares, the floor and the rear bumper look like the day I did them. Hopefully they stay that way.

One of the things I’ve always liked about Wrangler and CJ interiors is the exposed sheet metal.
I’ve always liked the older trucks and SUVs for the same reason.

It certainly makes life easier if you need to work on them, that's for sure.

I think it gets used alot down south. As there's a lot of mud. And a lot of guys end up with it in their tubs. And it's easiest to just hose it out. Makes the Jeep much more of a utilitarian vehicle. And not something I would do. But I think that's where I see a lot of its use.

Of course then there's those guys that do it to their entire vehicle. I haven't seen how effective that is one way or the other. But it would certainly aid in retouching. I could see it being used on a Jeep that needs a paint job really bad anyway. It's at the very least a good spray can job on an exterior. That hides alot of imperfections. And has a texture that lends itself towards retouching. Still If I had to, I think I'd use Duplicolor textured bedliner paint. It's more of a soft lumps kind of texture. Nothing a microfiber towel would get ripped up on - like normal bedliner. But again, it would have to be my weekend hunting rig that needed a paint job really badly anyway. And it was a rough looking ride anyway. Why not? But on a nice jeep. No. I personally wouldn't do that.

So unless your mud bogging every weekend. I'd pass on the bedliner in the tub. Some guys even talk about getting a sound deadening improvement out of it. But I can't imagine it being anywhere near a real sound deadener layer.

I recently had the bed of my MJ done by Line-x and learned something. It previously had a factory installed plastic bed liner. The liner did its job over the years. There no dings, dents or rust when I took it out. The liner had been screwed in and the bad news was that there were about 30 small sheet metal screw holes.

I welded shut, ground down, metal finished and primed about 10 holes on the back side of the tailgate. I went to set the appointment at Line-x and they told me they could easily take care of the rest of the holes. They cut small squares (about 3/4" x 3/4") of aluminum foil tape that is used for heating and ventilation duct work and put them over the holes. This tape is very thin and strong. When the bed liner is sprayed on over it it completely disappears … hole and all, and no dimple. I spent a couple of hours filling in about third of the holes and they spent a couple of minutes filling in the rest.

I asked if the tape would be strong enough. The guy smiled, gave me an apple that they had sprayed with Line-x and told me to drop it on the floor. I did and there were no dents in it. He said the apple gets dropped at least once a day.

Last edited:
What it comes down to is not all bed liner is created equal. There’s a huge difference between the roll on shit you get in a can and the patented formula you get from Line-X or Rhino. There’s also the massive amount of prep that goes into it that most DIYer’s will cut corners on or just not have the experience to do properly. Some people have a need or see a real value in having it, others don’t. But to call it shit or pointless is just plain ignorant. I had my tub lined because my carpet smelled like wet dog and needed to go. The benefit easy clean up and protection is a plus. I chose line-x because it’s a little less rubbery and they have a premium sealer they put over the top that protects against UV and maintains the “new look”. We’ll see I guess. But so far I’m pleased with the outcome.
2F60E6AE-4BFD-416E-A960-958EB5111B21.jpeg

There’s also the massive amount of prep that goes into it that most DIYer’s will cut corners on ...

I have to roll my eyes when I see threads about reviving fender flares. Whenever paint is mentioned, there's always some dumbass that complains, "paint is shit, it cracks too easily". Inevitably, they're found to have completely ignored the necessary prep work.

I'll never forget one thread: a guy whined about Krylon Fusion and how much it "sucked". He tried spraying his flares without even washing the dirt off.

Reactions: jeepins
Only thing worse than putting it in your Jeep is putting it in your boat. Scraping your knuckles on that stuff when you are out on the lake and it's cold is no fun.

So since we're talking about bed liner how do you remove it? The new tub I bought for my daughters TJ has been bed lined and I would like to remove it if I can.

With all that said I am going to Lizard Skin the tub on my TJ to try and help with the noise and heat.

I got my TJ for a pretty good price, but at some point someone did a DIY bedliner on the exterior and interior. Not my first choice by any means, especially since they did a fairly poor job on it. I need to find out how to remove it because I'm considering getting my TJ painted this summer. I figure most paint places probably won't deal with removing the liner from the exterior and those that will are going to charge a good amount. So I plan on doing it myself. I will admit, not having to worry about scratches and smaller dings while on the trail (or door dings from others while at the store) and such is nice.

It's paint, you have to strip it. It is an awful job. Most shops will replace body panels before they waste time removing bad paint to give you an idea of the fun that is involved.

Burn the Jeep and call your insurance company.

... I will admit, not having to worry about scratches and smaller dings while on the trail (or door dings from others while at the store) and such is nice.
This is a bed liner logic that I don't understand. If you don't want to care about body scratches (or aesthetics, in general), then how does a rough finish bed liner become the improvement over paint? What about not caring about scratches?

I think bed liner has become a decorative symbol for ruggedness, similar to the HiLift jack and axes.

FWiW, if I ever feel the need to line the interior, it needs to be a smoother orange peel finish that can still be washed.

I read an ad, for sale, I see bedliner and turn the page.
The stuff is shit. You can't drop the price low enough.

You and me both. If I see "bedliner" anywhere in the for sale ad, I instantly click out of it.

In my mind the only time people use that is when they are either lazy, or covering up rust.

The only place I think it might belong is the bed of a pickup truck, but even that could be argued, as my step-dad has a Toyota Tundra with one of those hard plastic lined beds, and I like it way better than bedliner.