Does anyone elses cruise control power off when you hit the cancel button?

Wheeling diver

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Does anyone elses cruise control power off when you hit the cancel button? I have owned several Jeeps but this the first one I have had with cruise and am not sure if it is normal or not. Thanks.

When you hit cancel, it should take it out of cruise control but the dash light should still remain on.
That's what I would think, but it powers the whole thing down and I have to turn it back on to use it. Any thoughts as to why it would do that?

That's what I would think, but it powers the whole thing down and I have to turn it back on to use it. Any thoughts as to why it would do that?

Well when you hit cancel and the cruise control light goes off, do you have to actually turn it back on again in order for cruise control to work?

If it was a vacuum issue, the cruise control likely wouldn't be working at all. It's got to be an electrical issue. Possibly a frayed wire (worth inspecting thoroughly) or potentially a bad solenoid unit or even the switch itself.

My cruise does this exact thing. Hitting cancel should just stop the speed set, but sometimes it powers off cruise completely.

Does anyone elses cruise control power off when you hit the cancel button? I have owned several Jeeps but this the first one I have had with cruise and am not sure if it is normal or not. Thanks.
Mine does one sometimes and the other sometimes. It should only release the cruise control, not turn the cruise and dash light off.

I think the switch may be bouncing as if I were pushing cancel multiple times when it actually turns the cruise off completely. As in a panic situation.

As others have posted; check the harness connector at the CC module along with the transfer case speed sensor connector.
Using a VOM check the resistance readings across the steering wheel cruise control pod switches, IF the contacts of the switches have too much resistance or the clock spring wiring connectors have oxidation on the pins; the PCM will read the requested function differently than what you are requesting.
Different years of the Jeeps have different resistance specifications for the pod switches and I am not sure which years have what resistance specifications.
The FSM (Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures) I have for '01 states the switch resistance should be 5.0 ohms or below.
I would recommend measuring across the difference switch terminals to see if any are noticeably different than the others.

Last edited:
Mine shuts off with the resume button if you hit it straight on. Have to touch the magic corner of the resume button just right or it turns the whole system off and have to start again. Not a huge pain in the ass as I think cruise has only been used 3 times since new :)

Mine's a sometimes power off, sometimes not power off. My on-off switch is very similar. I always think the worst happens because I hold the cancel switch too long or the on-off switch not long enough. I always think I'll be sure to hit either one the way I think I should but at the rate I've been having these problems I may never know for sure.

Sounds like a fairly common problem, but I will check my wiring carefully as CharlesHS has suggested. Thanks for the feedback and help.

Sounds like a fairly common problem, but I will check my wiring carefully as CharlesHS has suggested. Thanks for the feedback and help.

My cancel button sometimes turns off the cruise light and has to be reset, other times it works as it should and the resume button turns it back on. Sounds like something failing, I guess when it fails completely I will know what's happening.