Does anyone make a baffled oil pan?

whitrzac

TJ Enthusiast
Out wheeling today and a few of the things I attempted were at enough of an incline that the oil pickup sucked air.

Oil pressure gauge dropped to 0, and the little gnomes brought out their hammers and started banging on the lifters....

Does anyone make a baffled oil pan? IIRC the OEM one had something that would help in nose down situations, but these were all nose up.

My 03 has been at some fairly steep angles in the dunes without issue, but I didn't know it would be possible to tilt it that far without going dying cockroach. Maybe I'm not pushing the envelope enough?

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Out wheeling today and a few of the things I attempted were at enough of an incline that the oil pickup sucked air.

Oil pressure gauge dropped to 0, and the little gnomes brought out their hammers and started banging on the lifters....

Does anyone make a baffled oil pan? IIRC the OEM one had something that would help in nose down situations, but these were all nose up.

With all the trails and obstacles I have done in Moab, Anza Borrego Desert, LCIR and the Big Bear Mountains; I have been on obstacles where the only thing I could see was the sky above and have never had the problem you described
You may have other problems going on with the engine... IF you decide to install the Moroso oil pan I would do a thorough inspection of the oil pump and the pickup.
I have to agree with checking the oil level in the engine.
What viscosity oil are you using in your engine ?

Reactions: reddvltj
With all the trails and obstacles I have done in Moab, Anza Borrego Desert, LCIR and the Big Bear Mountains; I have been on obstacles where the only thing I could see was the sky above and have never had the problem you described
You may have other problems going on with the engine... IF you decide to install the Moroso oil pan I would do a thorough inspection of the oil pump and the pickup.
I have to agree with checking the oil level in the engine.
What viscosity oil are you using in your engine ?
10w-30, 15w-40 Delo makes no difference. If you get steep enough, it will quit pumping oil. Waterfall near the end of Wrecking Ball does it pretty often.

1593349905314.png

Could a windage tray help? Any really steep angles and you would want to think about a dry sump system. Try looking into what the race cars or KOH.are using to keep oil pumping.

I had a reserve/priming kit on my xj. It was a bottl plumbed into the oil pressure sensor with a solenoid wired to dump the oil from the bottle when below certain pressure. Helped preoil the engine at startup and with severe off camber wheeling. Bottle would fill back up when oil pressure returned to normal.

Reactions: kmac5130
Its happened a few times to me, though I never felt or heard a difference in the sound of the engine. I recall it happening on this trail
6511A79C-FBCA-4F8B-9F4E-6AF6A2738459 (1).jpeg

is it at all possible to tie in a reserve pick up? or rework the p/u tube to reach? or a flexible feed tube that would move the p/u the direction gravity pulls it?
same principal as a fuel cell. does it occur often enough to need a solution?

Only problem with that is then you have no oil on the way back down the trail (or obstacle).