Does having the top off improve ride quality?

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’ve noticed as it’s gotten warmer and starting folding down the top that the Jeep feels smoother. It was discussed on one of the insulation threads that sound droning and resonance in the tub can have the effect of a rougher ride, through plecebo effect.

Granted you have wind noise around you, but with my top off, the trottle, shifting, and overall ride seem much smoother, and engine noise is way down. Again, this could all be placebo effect too.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Hmmm...... i would like to see the aerodynamic data. Considering with or without a top we're still a brick with wheels.

Maybe it's just my personal preference or just because it makes me feel good inside. But no top no doors always seems to be the best way to drive. Always smooth and never a care in the world.

Hmmm...... i would like to see the aerodynamic data.

E11A3346-E6FB-4943-9447-75BCC1F865ED.jpeg

I would think a 2.5 might gain some nice driviablity benefits if it was a hardtop that was removed. But at the most; a slight benefit.

Note* I dont have a 2.5 with a hardtop.

How much does the hardtop weigh? Something about power to weight ratio...The little 4 cylinder only makes around 120 at the crank, so likely less than 100hp at the wheels (milage dependent)

Last edited:
As long as it's not raining/snowing, it most definitely improves the ride quality, just not in the traditional sense of the meaning!

I don't know about ride quality improving any, but every spring when I remove that 135 lb. or so hard top, I feel like the TJ gained 20 hp, at least for a while.

I would think removing the top would do the opposite, though, for the quality of the ride per se, as every truck (like) vehicle I've ever owned had a smoother ride when loaded with more weight.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I notice when I remove the soft top and doors my mileage definitely tanks. It’s a lot more fun to drive, but costs more. I don’t notice it being smoother. Just more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....does having a former drill sargent as a therapist sound like a good idea?

(Geico commercial)

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
I’ve noticed as it’s gotten warmer and starting folding down the top that the Jeep feels smoother. It was discussed on one of the insulation threads that sound droning and resonance in the tub can have the effect of a rougher ride, through plecebo effect.

Granted you have wind noise around you, but with my top off, the trottle, shifting, and overall ride seem much smoother, and engine noise is way down. Again, this could all be placebo effect too.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

It does for me. The ride is noticeably smoother since the aerodynamics are improved.

With my ripped lats and yolked out biceps.. the air flow stabalizes. Its called the muscle spoiler effect.

I have tried with the hardtop on, the complete soft top on and, different soft top parts removed except for the doors. I think I like the hardtop best!!

I took the side and back windows off shortly after buying my jeep last summer. Then the doors came off. When I put everything back on late last fall as it was getting too cool I noticed some vibrations I had never noticed before. I'm sure nothing had changed to cause vibrations, just did not notice them with doors and top off.