Does having this lift require a different steering stabilizer?

Mickdrosco

I recently purchased a 2000 TJ with a six inch lift kit. The maker of the lift kit is unknown. I need to replace the steering stabilizer. It has been painted, so I don’t know the brand. The stabilizer is stamped with two codes: 7400WS and Q07184. When I google 7400WS it suggests a Skyjacker suspensions 7400. My question is that the info on the replacement stabilizer makes no mention of the lift. Does having the lift kit then require a different stabilizer? I am just trying to make sure the last owner didn’t install the wrong stabilizer, and if so, I don’t want to repeat the problem. I am replacing because I am trying to deal with some nasty death wobble…

X2, an expensive steering damper will gain you nothing. Stick with a hydraulic. Monroe is fine, the Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer kit is good too. Avoid gas-charged which tends to push the steering toward the left.

And while a new steering damper might temporarily mask the symptoms of Death Wobble, it's definitely not the cause of DW nor is a new one its cure. A bad, improperly, or imperfectly balanced tire is the usual root cause of DW, coupled (often) with a loose component like a track bar that can allow DW to develop more easily.

Reactions: derekmac
I am replacing because I am trying to deal with some nasty death wobble…
The steering damper has nothing to do with the cause of your death wobble. Do the dry steer test and determine if your steering components are worn out. Check your control arm bushings as well.

Thanks for all the input guys!
The steering damper has nothing to do with the cause of your death wobble. Do the dry steer test and determine if your steering components are worn out. Check your control arm bushings as well.
I am not familiar with the ‘dry steer test’. Can you describe it? Thanks!

I am not familiar with the ‘dry steer test’. Can you describe it? Thanks!
With the engine running, have someone saw the wheel a few degrees while you watch each of the connections in the steering components for any movement.

With the engine running, have someone saw the wheel a few degrees while you watch each of the connections in the steering components for any movement.
The engine doesn't have to be running, plus the noise of the engine could mask clunks caused by something being loose. Quick short left/right steering wheel movements, just enough to work the steering system back & forth a tad enough to show anything loose is fine.

The engine doesn't have to be running, plus the noise of the engine could mask clunks caused by something being loose. Quick short left/right steering wheel movements, just enough to work the steering system back & forth a tad enough to show anything loose is fine.
It works better if the engine is running.

Reactions: L J