Does this seem like a common shop practice?

I have a crappy nutsert set, I might put one into the heat shield from the bottom then use a screw, truss like was suggested, and pull the nutsert to the tub. The nutsert would provide a bit of separation and the screw would point down. I'd probably use a drill bit through the nutsert to align it with the hole. It would probably take two people unless you were lucky.

I would set it from inside the tub in the cab, maybe use some oversize washers to take up the gap left by the threaded bit and give a little air gap for heat exchange. A short bushing could work. The idea ( from what I see) would be to pull tight against the shoulders of the nutsert. I have not spent much time around the heat shield on mine, but it seems there is a gap already.
Even if you put a close tolerance bushing on the body of the nutsert that went up to the expanded shoulder, you are still hanging the heat shield against the crimp ONLY that is formed when you set the nutsert. In other words, if you load the head shield screw at all, it will unset the nutsert and it will be loose.

The typical setting of a nutsert is the crimp only stops it from spinning and the fastener sets it tighter. You are doing the opposite. It is the same as letting one of your frame skid bolts get loose and then smacking it on a rock. That unsets the nutsert which is why we say to try and tighten first in hopes that it may reset, get tighter and then let the bolt back out.

There is an air gap, formed by both the heat shield shape and dimples downward in the floor.

Even if you put a close tolerance bushing on the body of the nutsert that went up to the expanded shoulder, you are still hanging the heat shield against the crimp ONLY that is formed when you set the nutsert. In other words, if you load the head shield screw at all, it will unset the nutsert and it will be loose.

The typical setting of a nutsert is the crimp only stops it from spinning and the fastener sets it tighter. You are doing the opposite. It is the same as letting one of your frame skid bolts get loose and then smacking it on a rock. That unsets the nutsert which is why we say to try and tighten first in hopes that it may reset, get tighter and then let the bolt back out.

There is an air gap, formed by both the heat shield shape and dimples downward in the floor.
Ahh. Ya. Is it that heavy? The more you tighten, the more it “unseats”.

Ahh. Ya. Is it that heavy? The more you tighten, the more it “unseats”.
No, the fastener will screw all the way through and not affect the crimp tightness at all. But you are hanging the shield just from the crimp, nothing more. No, the shield is not heavy at all.