Does weight help in the snow?

Zedd

TJ Enthusiast
I’m going up in the moutains today (Oregon,Timberline) and I removed the back seat so I could have more space. However, I noticed last night how sporty my 2.5L felt because of the reduced weight. Felt like the car was zippy-er and could accelerate more.

Being that this is my first snow driving in the tj, and first off roading expirence, should I put the back seat back in? Weight helps with slick/snow yeah? I’m used to my TJ driving the way it does with the backseat so I just wanted to get some first timer input. I’ve driven in snow and I’m confidant but I thought of this last night and wanted to get some input. Thanks!

(Ive got all terrain tires 30’s, and chains if needed, 2002 2.5L SE)
CDF8F10F-5C25-49DC-9475-7E364726F92F.png
4621DB0E-40F2-4E23-AC89-878F82F06092.jpeg

the back seat weight is not gonna make a significant difference.

look at pick-up's, they put several heavy sand bags in the rear for weight.

maybe a couple 80# tubes of sand along each wheel well in the rear. but 60# ain't really gonna help.

this is what 2wd vehicles do. weight over the drive wheels.
we have that funny 4wd thing, that tends to negate the need for this extra weight.

and it also works 2 directions. the weight helps get you going, but you also have to stop it. extra 300# of momentum when you hit that ice patch.

Reactions: Jim King and Zedd
the back seat weight is not gonna make a significant difference.

look at pick-up's, they put several heavy sand bags in the rear for weight.

maybe a couple 80# tubes of sand along each wheel well in the rear. but 60# ain't really gonna help.

this is what 2wd vehicles do. weight over the drive wheels.
we have that funny 4wd thing, that tends to negate the need for this extra weight.

and it also works 2 directions. the weight helps get you going, but you also have to stop it. extra 300# of momentum when you hit that ice patch.
Idk what number followed by # that means

I was just up a timberline yesterday. You should be fine with 4wd. The plow the roads so you dont really have to worry about snow it's more the ground being slick/icy when starting and stopping. Which is when 4wd is very handy

Reactions: Zedd
I was just up a timberline yesterday. You should be fine with 4wd. The plough the roads so you dont really have to worry about snow it's more the ground being slick/icy when starting and stopping. Which is when 4wd is very handy
3F3E2842-BBDF-42C0-8DCC-8D8048129D46.png

Ive havent used 4H yet. This is what the manual says. Any tips though?

Why would i need these? This doesnt seem like a needed item for my trip

Weight is weight. If it's good, these will help. If it's bad, they won't help.

I

idk why but it seems so sketch to do it while moving😬

Shifting on the fly is only bad when the rear tires are spinning faster than the front tires. Let off the gas, shift into 4WD and hit the gas again. No problems. I think the max 55mph is "save my ass" lawyer talk.

Weight is weight. If it's good, these will help. If it's bad, they won't help.

Shifting on the fly is only bad when the rear tires are spinning faster than the front tires. Let off the gas, shift into 4WD and hit the gas again. No problems. I think the max 55mph is "save my ass" lawyer talk.
Which is perfect cuz I was thinking max 45 in my head to save my own ass😂

Why would i need these? This doesnt seem like a needed item for my trip

i got all day , i'll bite.
i never said you did . but if you believe that you would benefit from extra weight over the rear axle to help improve traction in 2wd. the rear bench seat is not sufficient weight for this task,

the 80lb sacks are long and narrow can be placed behind the rear seat to provide sufficient extra weight.
you do not need them, they are just a readily available tool.

i got all day , i'll bite.
i never said you did . but if you believe that you would benefit from extra weight over the rear axle to help improve traction in 2wd. the rear bench seat is not sufficient weight for this task,

the 80lb sacks are long and narrow can be placed behind the rear seat to provide sufficient extra weight.
you do not need them, they are just a readily available tool.
Gotcha

Drive slow an cautious. 4x4 will help with being able to accelerate on slippery surfaces but it's advantage is not as great as you might think. Tires are the key to safe travel on snow and ice. When it come to braking and lateral traction all moving vehicles are essentially equal and their tires will be the separating factor.