Door hinge issue

Metalmoto

Hi, I know I should search my issue first. But hears what happened to me.
Freezing rain and ice on my Jeep, as I left work.
Frozen door handles, stayed out when opened. Not a problem, hit them my hand to close them and keep to doors from popping open.
When I opened the drivers side door, I heard a metal clunk. The nut from the upper hinge fell off. Found it on the ground.
Guess the ice on it made i fall off?

Drove home.
Looking at the hinge bolt, I don't see any threads, to screw the bolt back on?
Someone had the doors off a few times before I owned it,
I can see a thread or two on the hinge pin, but no way it's going to screw back on.

Looking closer, the hinge bushing has dropped a little. What the hell was holding this nut on?
Tried to tap the bushing back up inside the hinge further, didn't help.

OK, what's going on here?

How do I fix this?

Or can someone direct me to a thread, with a solution for this.
Seems like the nut was barely on there.

Thanks,

Dave

Sounds like the threaded end of the pin broke off. You would have to replace the hinge pin to fix it. The bushing shouldn’t be falling down since it’s installed from the top unless it’s that wore out.

Pics help a lot in helping you
Here are a few pics of where the nut came off. I can see maybe 2 threads on the back side of it.
Pics were taken at night, so the flash makes it difficult to see.
The bushing I was talking about, is not like the one sold on Amazon. It's silver colored.
Hope you can tell something from these pics?

20220210_231018.jpg

20220210_231030.jpg

20220210_231134.jpg

Looks like the threads have been broken off. The bushing your referring to is the shoulder of the pin. (It’s similar to a shoulder bolt). You’ve got to replace the pin or the upper half of the hinge. Maybe someone will chime in on the possibility of replacing the pin?

Good luck if you plan on replacing the bushings in your factory hinges.
While the Delrin upgrade is sound, there appears to be at least 3 different sized hinges out there that span the early -mid 2000's models.
I ordered (3) different sets before I got the ones that actually fit the original full-door hinges on our '03.

One thing to also understand before tackling this project is that the factory bushings (on our '03 at least!) are 3-pieces/3-layers of material, (2 thin metal layers sandwiching what appears to be some type of screen material) and they like to come apart when being removed.
If you don't get all of the layers out of the hinge, then the new ones are not going in (especially if they are Delrin).

Reactions: NOTNSUV
When you start looking close at the TJs that are around, you will notice many of them no longer have the nuts on the door pins.