Door hinge questions and recommendations please (only stripped one bolt)

thuddles

TJ Enthusiast
1. do i paint the bare metal under the door hinge or leave it bare? Should i seal it?
2. Whats the weird stuff on the back of the door hinge? foil tape?
2. Whats your guys favorite stripped bolt removal tool?

I got some blue full doors for my red tj with factory half doors. Being that the doors are different, i was going to paint the hinges on both sets of doors the same color as my bumper.
since i was removing the bolts on the blue doors i figured i'd take them off since i had the bolts loose, but I noticed the bare metal on the door itself, also a sticky foil like product on the back of the hinge?? wasn't sure if i should just leave it alone or remove and reattach a new?

I put a dab of stripper on the bolts to help remove the paint, and then soaked in penetrating oil for a day or two. First 3 came out with my tiny hammer drill, the others came out with 1/2 ratchet to the 3/8 TORX PLUS size 40 - The torx plus has thicker splines and fits in perfectly once paint is removed. The last bolt I slipped and it stripped it a little bit. Gonna try some heat and hope it will come out this next try. Any recommendations are welcome, TIA

1-unless you are near salty air just leave the factory primer under the hinges its better than whatever you could top coat it with...do not attempt to seal it no need to

2-its tin foil put it on top of your head

2???-I drill the head out carefully and remove the hinge..then spin the remainder out with your fingers

Reactions: J.Pierce
I used an extra sacrificial torx bit that I stuck in the bolt and then heated the long torx bit with a torch.
My thought was to get the heat to migrate to the bolt without burning my paint off the hinges.
If I remember correctly some of the body side hinge bolts can be accessed from inside, spray them with some Corrosion X or good penetrating oil from the interior if you can.

1-unless you are near salty air just leave the factory primer under the hinges its better than whatever you could top coat it with...do not attempt to seal it no need to

2???-I drill the head out carefully and remove the hinge..then spin the remainder out with your fingers
They are damn hard, I'm not even sure a cobalt drill will drill into them.
A burr on a die grinder works to cut the heads off though/

They are damn hard, I'm not even sure a cobalt drill will drill into them.
A burr on a die grinder works to cut the heads off though/
They arent hard at all if they are factory bolts..I use cheapo milwaukee bits on them all the time and it's like butter

Reactions: J.Pierce

I would load a photo but its not working. There is something stuck to the back of the hinges and its very thin metal just like foil tape, and my doors are not primer'd, underneath the hinges its bare metal... so do i paint it or not?

D6DE2BCE-B375-4F71-85CF-3F72AE43B94B.jpeg
F460AB17-D0CF-4EA8-943C-BD27E95095A0.jpeg
D6DE2BCE-B375-4F71-85CF-3F72AE43B94B.jpeg
DDA72187-361D-482B-BACE-086EF8DFF025.jpeg
B671ABA7-E040-4986-94B2-4B5866F4DEAB.jpeg

Don't paint it..I know what you are talking about it's a foil tape very sticky..I just peel it off the best I can and reinstall the hinge..see how rust free everything is under the hinges? Remember most people take better care of their tjs now than they used to ie:garaged etc so that primer under the hinges will probably outlast you

Don't paint it..I know what you are talking about it's a foil tape very sticky..I just peel it off the best I can and reinstall the hinge..see how rust free everything is under the hinges? Remember most people take better care of their tjs now than they used to ie:garaged etc so that primer under the hinges will probably outlast you
so it is foil tape?? i have more foil tape i shouldn’t re-apply?

and unfortunately i do bot have a garage and it hasn’t been kept in a garage for the last 14 years i’ve owned the vehicle. that’swhy i figured i’d coat it at least. and still pretty sure that it’s bare metal not primer but
i’ll check again when i get home