Door hinge replacements?

GoldenEagle

A cross thread is a tight thread
Supporting Member
Looking at getting some Kentrol powder coated stainless door hinges. Anyone have thoughts on these, besides the price?

The real question is, are these actually early/late TJ specific? I see hinges listed as half door, full door, and half and full. Then I see 97-02 hinge sets and 03-06 sets. I think my half doors were early, they had the plastic track style seals when I built the shells up. But I also have a hard time believing the hinges changed.

I wouldnt go with the import stuff. But if fit/finish dont matter, go for it.

Salvage yards have factory ones if you need replacements.

Problem is the insanity of getting factory off a door. And around here in CO, I'm paying the same premium for used, if I can find them. Have gone with kentrol for headlight baskets and a hood footman loop. Both were of solid quality. I'll take the gamble on hinges for half doors.

There are no differences between half door and full door hinges…

I have the polished stainless Kentrol hinges on my ‘97 TJ. I got polished as to not need to worry about flaking powder coating that will eventually happen in Ohio, with seasonal use. I got the ‘03-‘06 set as the top hinge is the thicker hinge with countersunk screws like factory. Much more robust than the button head cap screw version (all Kentrol sets use those on the bottom)…

They have been rock solid for me…

I installed delrin bushings at the windshield and body hinge pin mounting locations. I also use ‘03-‘06 style mirrors as well, FYI…

7ECD9839-F9AC-47E6-BC36-BA2C982F7764.jpeg

9F7DDE05-D6CB-43BA-9F96-F1DF102B97E1.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
I have some stainless hinges on used half doors I bought. Not sure what brand but one of the pins is loose and rattles in the upper door side of the hinge. Notice that the pins are not pressed in from the top like factory hinges. Not sure why or how but I don't like that.

I want to say the screws that come on import hinges may be wrong thread metric/standard too. Look at the reviews, it might say that. I think they will screw jn if you force them but mess up the threads in the door.

There are no differences between half door and full door hinges…

I have the polished stainless Kentrol hinges on my ‘97 TJ. I got polished as to not need to worry about flaking powder coating that will eventually happen in Ohio, with seasonal use. I got the ‘03-‘06 set as the top hinge is the thicker hinge with countersunk screws like factory. Much more robust than the button head cap screw version (all Kentrol sets use those on the bottom)…

They have been rock solid for me…

I installed delrin bushings at the windshield and body hinge pin mounting locations. I also use ‘03-‘06 style mirrors as well, FYI…

View attachment 353557

View attachment 353558

Interesting. Thanks. So it sounds like either would work, but maybe has more to do with which mirrors I'm running? Also, that's a little annoying that they aren't both countersunk. It's a much cleaner look.

I bought used OEM on eBay. Yes they're pricey; I paid close to if not more than new aftermarket. I wanted them to be robust and factory looking with countersunk bolts.

Reactions: JMT
I bought Kentrol poliished stainless hood, doors and windshield years ago. Fit was fine. Be sure to prep as factory didnt paint under the hinges.

People say oh boy chrome. I have to paraphrase Patten. "Those are chrome. Those are stainless steel. Only a pimp from EW Orleans would have chromed hinges."

I am happy with the kentrol. I had a body shop put them on back in August 2007. They still look great.

I bought Kentrol poliished stainless hood, doors and windshield years ago. Fit was fine. Be sure to prep as factory didnt paint under the hinges.

People say oh boy chrome. I have to paraphrase Patten. "Those are chrome. Those are stainless steel. Only a pimp from EW Orleans would have chromed hinges."

I am happy with the kentrol. I had a body shop put them on back in August 2007. They still look great.

Yeah, the whole goal is to replace then after paint. I think I'll just rattle can what I've got and replace the broken/painted pins at this point. Not keen on the button heads on the bottom hinges otherwise I'd probably have already bought the kentrols. Glad that was pointed out.

Somewhere in the garage I think I have the original hinges. Apparently I could make a house payment if I could find them and then sell them!

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC