Dorman 42RLE transmission pan opinions

up on the mountain.

TJ Enthusiast
Anybody out there that has used the dorman 42rle transmission pan? It has a drain plug bolt to drain the trans to make it less messy when i service the transmission. I also use the lube locker trans gasket. never had an issue with the stock pan leaking. thanks.

You could have a bung installed on your current pan. Or 2, one for drain, and one for temp. sender.
No experience, but I've heard the Dorman pan holds an extra qt. of fluid.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Anybody out there that has used the dorman 42rle transmission pan? It has a drain plug bolt to drain the trans to make it less messy when i service the transmission. I also use the lube locker trans gasket. never had an issue with the stock pan leaking. thanks.
I have had a Dorman pan on for a little over 2 years along with a Lubelocker gasket. I tried welding in a second bung myself for my trans temp gauge. I'm not a good welder and it was always seeping a little fluid around my weld. About 1-1/2 years ago I bought a second Dorman pan and had mrblaine silver braise a bung in for me. No leaks at all. With both pans I had no issues with fitment or leaks as well as no leaks with the Lubelocker. The only issue was seeping leaks where I tried to weld the bung.

In the Dorman pan reviews on amazon, several said the drain plug leaked when using the copper washer/gasket. I bought a different washer to use and had issues. You can get these at local autoparts stores. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBBZW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

More info on the pan can be seen here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-2#post-672472

Reactions: MountaineerTom
We have used several. We don't have any issues with them leaking and if anyone compares them to stock, they are a bit heavier.

I also read that somewhere there was an increase in fluid capacity compared to the original pan. Idk I can't find any reference to it now.

I had a different style pan not sure if original or what, no drain plug on it. I expected to need 1 more quart but ended up filling the same amount I drained: 7 quarts because the pan was off for a few days.

I also read that somewhere there was an increase in fluid capacity compared to the original pan. Idk I can't find any reference to it now.

I had a different style pan not sure if original or what, no drain plug on it. I expected to need 1 more quart but ended up filling the same amount I drained: 7 quarts because the pan was off for a few days.
There is a factory pan floating around that is higher capacity. The Dorman isn't.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper

So is the consensus that the Dorman pan does NOT require an extra quart? Dorman says its the same capacity as the OEM.