Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

I’d like to see your plan/setup for the camera too. I assume someone on the forums has figured out the best way to hardwire the rear camera. I was looking at a couple wireless ones too. If you can just pull power from somewhere near the rear and not run the full set of wires.

It seems like if you pull a “trigger” wire from a backup light that might automatically turn on the backup camera and display on the screen

Im using a wireless on my motorhome as a rear view mirror. It works pretty good although you occasionally get some dropout and static. But for use as a backup camera, you probably won’t have an issue.

FWIW - I used this for a camera - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018800TR2/?tag=wranglerorg-20 , then I found a transmitter that would work with my previously purchased LeeKooLoo monitor - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F3DBTY/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (the camera that came with the monitor had no way to turn the infrared lights off - I’m looking through a small rear window in the back of the motorhome, and the led lights would cause a glare at night that prevented clear viewing outside). The camera above both fit better in the window and has no lighting so all works well.
I then found a wireless relay receiver transmitter that I use to turn the power to the camera on/off, with the transmitter button hanging off my turn signal lever.

I will say though, if you take power from the radio, you won’t have to have a means of turning the wireless transmitter and camera on/off. Otherwise, just hooking it up to 12 volts means running a wire anyway as I don’t know of any continuously hot, or even switched hot wires in the tail end of the Jeep for you to power the transmitter with.
So, since you have to run a wire anyway - run one from the radio switched power to power the camera along with the needed coax for the camera and you’ll be good to go. Ground of course, you can get from anywhere.

@vinsanity @MrMark52

Almost got this thing installed but forgive the newbness. I sincerely appreciate all 15 pages and I tried my best to read everything. My main question is the loose wiring in the harness. I'm reading I'll probably disable park/brake so those wires can be left alone. What about key 1 and 2? I'm assuming back/car is reverse for the backup camera ( I think I saw some people pull it from the plug under the defrost trim.) And then the ground wire is obvious. If anyone wouldn't mind giving me a nudge in the right direction hopefully I'll have this in in no time.

Not sure what key 1 and 2 are. On my stereo the parking brake has to be set in order to watch videos from a USB drive, since I never do that I did not hook it up. The reverse would serve to turn the backup camera on automatically when the transmission is in reverse. I dont believe I had to run a ground wire, I think it was part of the harness.

Pages 31 and 32 of the attached brochure gives you the wiring information (couldn’t find an electronic copy of the manual).

I think there’s a typo in the designation of pin 24 - am pretty sure that should say “Key 2”. Key 1 and Key 2 are interfaces for Steering wheel Control (something I will add to my TJ with an aftermarket button module).

Didn’t you get a manual? Mine came with one (although being too lazy right now to get up and look if it has a wiring diagram) and mine also has a wiring diagram sticker with a decent function explanation on the top of the radio as well.

Attachments

• Xtron s PSD50WRJL wiring.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 231
I’ve not put mine in yet. Too many honey-do’s, birthdays, Christmas, New Years, and that the PO installed amplifiers and did some weird wiring around the OEM wiring socket that I need to correct.

Mine arrived yesterday. Agree with the earlier comments on the shipping speed from HK. 7 days from purchase off eBay it was at my door.

I'm in the same boat with this being on my list but much further down. Picked it up while I have the funds and before he price increases. Between a new lift, fenders, and needed exhaust work - it won't be until later into spring before I get this wired up.

Gives me time for more research and decisions on amps, speakers, etc. ;)

All these head unit links if stated say they're for the 2003-06 model. Is there really that big of a difference in the dash bezel of an earlier TJ? I only ask as mine is a 2000 and I'm wanting to upgrade my radio as well. I'd love to go this route instead of going full double DIN and modifying the dash in order to make it fit. I've searched ebay and amazon and found several radios but they just don't include my year model. Would love to hear more from you guys if you can point me in the right direction.

FWIW - PO had a Clarion XC-1410 installed for dash and light bar speakers, and a Phoenix Gold SX400.1 And Phoenix Sub-woofer installed, with a pair of Infinity speakers installed in the dash (I don’t remember what they had in the light bar).
I swapped the dash and light bar speakers out for Boss Audio MR50B’s. I also bought the dash bracket’s and back covers to install the dash set with (all from Amazon).
Everything installed with the Chinese 2din, $47.00 Seicane radio I bought around Christmas last year. FWIW - A piece of junk, but sounds good when I turn it up.

It’s that setup that I need to wire a new car side plug into so it mates with the plug from the Xtron. I got the plug, just need to wire it.

All these head unit links if stated say they're for the 2003-06 model. Is there really that big of a difference in the dash bezel of an earlier TJ? I only ask as mine is a 2000 and I'm wanting to upgrade my radio as well. I'd love to go this route instead of going full double DIN and modifying the dash in order to make it fit. I've searched ebay and amazon and found several radios but they just don't include my year model. Would love to hear more from you guys if you can point me in the right direction.

Dash bezel for 2003-2006 has rounded corners for the radio which the Xtron will fit into to look like a factory install. I believe there is also a difference in the mounting screw locations.
And, i believe there is also a difference in the harness connector - the Xtron comes with both needed connectors to interface (2003-2006 is a single plug, prior to that it is 2 plugs).

Mine arrived yesterday. Agree with the earlier comments on the shipping speed from HK. 7 days from purchase off eBay it was at my door.

I'm in the same boat with this being on my list but much further down. Picked it up while I have the funds and before he price increases. Between a new lift, fenders, and needed exhaust work - it won't be until later into spring before I get this wired up.

Gives me time for more research and decisions on amps, speakers, etc. ;)
I ordered the XTRONS unit off Amazon.
Order placed on Saturday the 16th.
Delivered today the 19th.
Tracking showed it left Shatin, Hong Kong on the 17th.

Fastest shipping I have ever seen.

I ordered the XTRONS unit off Amazon.
Order placed on Saturday the 16th.
Delivered today the 19th.
Tracking showed it left Shatin, Hong Kong on the 17th.

Fastest shipping I have ever seen.

Yet I'm still waiting on my RockAuto parts via USPS that shipped from Chicago and Rochester on 11 Jan and were supposed to show up on the 15th.... :sleep:

Can't get working on the TJ until I get the WK out of the garage. Let's go USPS!

Reactions: ATCKIP
Finally got the XTRONS Android unit in. Looks good. Sound is much improved and I can bluetooth my phone.

Took 15 minutes to install. Very easy plug and play.

Very user friendly. Now we will see how long it lasts.

20210202_130720.jpg
20210202_130712.jpg

Any updates on the Android radios.
I'd like to hear how they have been performing.

I've been running the Amazon version of the XTRONS (MCWAUTO) for a couple of months now and it's been doing fine. I have decided to swap it out for a Sony AX5000 for the following reasons:
  1. Audio Quality - Sony has some audio treatments such as DSO that make everything sound better. It might also be a higher powered unit.
  2. Bigger Screen - This is my first Jeep and I underestimated the bounciness and how that would affect my ability to read the smaller screen. Also the Android unit requires a little more precision in screen-based button presses.
  3. Apple Carplay - For the same reasons as above, Carplay solves that issue for me quite well.
  4. Faster Boot - Not really a "reason", but a nice side benefit of the swap.
A few things the Android unit has going for it over a more basic unit (like the Sony).
  1. Onboard Mic - (Sony requires a wired mic, connected to the back)
  2. Front Panel SD & Higher Capacity - Easy to swap out and supports higher capacity cards than the Sony (from what I can tell so far).
  3. Apps, Apps and more Apps - You can install anything you want from the Google Play store on this thing!
  4. Navigation - I typically use my phone for NAV but it was very convenient to have onboard NAV and maps at the press of a button. Works really well too!
  5. Plug & Play wiring harness. - Plug, mount and go.
That being said, the Android unit is currently out of the Jeep in case anyone would like to give it a try. Just hit me up!

-Brian

I've been running the Amazon version of the XTRONS (MCWAUTO) for a couple of months now and it's been doing fine. I have decided to swap it out for a Sony AX5000 for the following reasons:
  1. Audio Quality - Sony has some audio treatments such as DSO that make everything sound better. It might also be a higher powered unit.
  2. Bigger Screen - This is my first Jeep and I underestimated the bounciness and how that would affect my ability to read the smaller screen. Also the Android unit requires a little more precision in screen-based button presses.
  3. Apple Carplay - For the same reasons as above, Carplay solves that issue for me quite well.
  4. Faster Boot - Not really a "reason", but a nice side benefit of the swap.
A few things the Android unit has going for it over a more basic unit (like the Sony).
  1. Onboard Mic - (Sony requires a wired mic, connected to the back)
  2. Front Panel SD & Higher Capacity - Easy to swap out and supports higher capacity cards than the Sony (from what I can tell so far).
  3. Apps, Apps and more Apps - You can install anything you want from the Google Play store on this thing!
  4. Navigation - I typically use my phone for NAV but it was very convenient to have onboard NAV and maps at the press of a button. Works really well too!
  5. Plug & Play wiring harness. - Plug, mount and go.
That being said, the Android unit is currently out of the Jeep in case anyone would like to give it a try. Just hit me up!

-Brian

I've had that unit in my Jeep for a week or so now.
I haven't jumped into all its features yet.

Sound is good but lacks a nice low end. I'm adding the Rockville 8" sub under the seat to round out the spectrum.

I'm not looking for the boom. Just a nice full sound.

I just installed one of the Xtron Units in my 2004 TJ and it Is awesome minus one thing...I can figure out hoe to get the Bluetooth to auto connect when the radio is turned on to my iPhone. Has anyone figured out how to get it to auto connect?

Finally got the XTRONS Android unit in. Looks good. Sound is much improved and I can bluetooth my phone.

View attachment 223169View attachment 223170
Did your TJ come with factory Subwoofer? After the installation did it work normally? Mine don't I need to move the cursor in sound to one speaker and then I hear and feel the sub but lose the other speakers.

View attachment 223169View attachment 223170
Did your TJ come with a factory Subwoofer? After the installation did it work normally? Mine don't I need to move the cursor in sound to one speaker and then I hear and feel the sub but lose the other speakers.

Last edited:
Did your TJ come with a factory Subwoofer? After the installation did it work normally? Mine don't I need to move the cursor in sound to one speaker and then I hear and feel the sub but lose the other speakers.
Mine did not have a factory Sub.

I added an aftermarket.