Double DIN stereo head unit install help

Yanmar007

Hello,

Going to upgrade my 2004 aftermarket single din radio with a double din from Crutchfield. Currently it has a Kenwood aftermarket radio in it. Here is the radio I’d like to use. I’d also get the double din faceplate kit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BV960N/Boss-BV960NV.html?tp=20212
I have a few questions hoping someone can help.

1- Radio specs. State if using factory amp change speakers to 4 ohm to prevent overheating. How do I know if factory amp is still installed? Was it part of the OEM radio Which is gone?

2- Radio requires to be wired into “reverse “ to enable some features (camera, dvd). Where would this be tied in?

3- Any recommendations on making this install theft resistant? Is there some kind of bezel, vault set up I could install over it?

Any other recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John

1. If your current aftermarket head unit is working properly chances are your new double din will go right in without issue. The new radio’s harness is tied to the aftermarket adapter harness for the Jeep and it’s going to plug into the factory harness just as the present radio’s does. If there are any extras plugged into the present single din unit most likely your new radio will have all the same connection points and plug in will follow suit...

2. You can tie into the reverse wire at the taillight harness where it comes down on the driver’s side tub. Or even back at the taillight area. Depends on how you want to wire it up. If you aren’t running a back-up camera nothing needs to be done...
The dvd operation is meant to only function when the vehicle is parked with the e-brake set. There are ways to get around that. A microchip can be wired in to bypass the e-brake situation...

3. It’s a Jeep. Keeping it locked inside your garage is about the only way to protect anything inside the Jeep. They are just too easily accessible for would be thieves...

I just installed a Jensen double din unit last week. Mine didn’t have the amp , so I can’t answer that question for you. Do you have the sub in the center console? If not, then I would suspect there is no factory amp. I plan on putting my camera in this weekend and will try to hook up to the reverse wire on the dash in the mirror harness. my ‘03 doesn’t have the auto dimming/compass/temperature rearview mirror, but I found the harness on top of the dash. Your ‘04 probably has it, too.
I think the reverse wire is the purple wire with black tracer in this harness (See pic)

7F9421A2-E4FE-4B2B-9574-0E1BBE981122.jpeg

Hello,

Thank you both for the info. Dusted of the Chilton’s manual, found the wiring diagram. So reverse looks like violet/black and e-brake will probably be gray/black.

Side note will be installing a backup camera. Plate mount or spare tire mount. Thoughts?

I’ll check top of dash for reverse and near e-brake for that wire. I’ll try installing with existing speakers since they are working with current aftermarket stereo.

No I’ll have to clean out garage to park it in. The Jeep and motorcycle will be snug as a bug. The rest will park outside.

Cheers
John
A905FACA-63B3-4DBF-9C43-0CAB2349838F.jpeg
FF15AC98-B399-41FA-A09D-41787B1EA7C4.jpeg

You can just ground the e-brake cable lead under the dash, just don't get caught driving down the road watching a DVD

You can just ground the e-brake cable lead under the dash, just don't get caught driving down the road watching a DVD
Not all brands use a ground for the e-brake. I ended up using a micro bypass from Amazon for my Jensen install. All the connections are behind the radio; no need to hunt for the e-brake wire.

Hello,

Going to upgrade my 2004 aftermarket single din radio with a double din from Crutchfield. Currently it has a Kenwood aftermarket radio in it. Here is the radio I’d like to use. I’d also get the double din faceplate kit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BV960N/Boss-BV960NV.html?tp=20212
I have a few questions hoping someone can help.

1- Radio specs. State if using factory amp change speakers to 4 ohm to prevent overheating. How do I know if factory amp is still installed? Was it part of the OEM radio Which is gone?

2- Radio requires to be wired into “reverse “ to enable some features (camera, dvd). Where would this be tied in?

3- Any recommendations on making this install theft resistant? Is there some kind of bezel, vault set up I could install over it?

Any other recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John
Did you order Crutchfield's custom wiring adapter? If not, I would recommend it.

Reactions: MikeE024