Downhill off-road crawling

L
Wow, OP asked a simple question…..and all you “supporting members” can do is give the man a hard time instead of answering a simple question.
What is the matter, you guys don’t know the answer…key board Jeep drivers😉
oh brother. See my first post. I gave a solid answer. I have a butthurt report available. Internet version. If you could not see my sarcasm, you should fill it out. Hold on I’ll find it. It’s here somewhere

Beyond them sharing that they feel like they're going too fast downhill and wants more control to slow down (or advise on how to brake in these scenarios)?

Regardless of where you're at, there's the same things that accomplish this. The only missing bit I read above is the trade offs of the solutions.
He said it was his second time wheeling. The difference is that in certain terrain applying a little brake works just fine like flat slope decent on powerline trails.

Downhill through technical obstacles and rock gardens? not so much.

my point is no one bothered to ask before recommending thousands in upgrades. If its downhill rocks and big obstacles, qby all means buy an atlas. If its powerline trails then no. Just apply some brake.

I am a firm believer in the 4:1. I have wheeled before and after the 4:1 with both manual and auto transmissions. Hands down 4:1 is the way to go but for a lot of folks it may not be necessary.

The Chinamen's gulch loop is a great place to have 4:1. And i did, but you'd best believe on the way back down I still applied brake cresting the top of the boulders .

He said it was his second time wheeling. The difference is that in certain terrain applying a little brake works just fine like flat slope decent on powerline trails.

my point is no one bothered to ask before recommending thousands in upgrades. If its downhill rocks and big obstacles, qby all means buy an atlas. If its powerline trails then no. Just apply some brake.

I am a firm believer in the 4:1. I have wheeled before and after the 4:1 with both manual and auto transmissions. Hands down 4:1 is the way to go but for a lot of folks it may not be necessary.

The Chinamen's gulch loop is a great place to have 4:1. And i did, but you'd best believe on the way back down I still applied brake cresting the top of the boulders .
I’d hope someone asking questions is smart enough to research the options they’re given rather than blindly order an atlas.

• Haha
Reactions: tworley and jjvw

We should be using all options available to us to control the vehicle. That means throttling, engine braking, braking while in gear, coasting and braking in neutral. There is a place for all of it.