Downhill off-road crawling

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve got a basic question to ask, owned my Jeep about 9 months and off-road twice. I have a 5 speed manual and going downhill in 4 low sometimes I want to go even slower than what that allows. Do you engage the clutch and use the brakes? I guess I have to get used to the manual shortcomings.

Nothing wrong with applying a little bit of brake, leave the clutch alone. It'll slow the Jeep a bit and lower your RPMs on the decent.

We prefer engine braking downhill for one because the tires wont lock up and lose traction like they would if you mashed them hard going down a slick hill. applying a little brake im addition wont hurt unless you apply hard enough to fully stop the tire from rotating. In that instance you A. may lose traction, and B. will stall the motor unless you apply some clutch.

I’ve got a basic question to ask, owned my Jeep about 9 months and off-road twice. I have a 5 speed manual and going downhill in 4 low sometimes I want to go even slower than what that allows. Do you engage the clutch and use the brakes? I guess I have to get used to the manual shortcomings.
You need a 4:1 or deeper TCase paired with a hand throttle. Does wonders!

With the other modifications you have already; the 4:1 will make all the difference...
I have a 4:1 in my '98 XJ 4.0L AX15 w/4.56 locked front and rear.
The 4:1 with 1st and 2nd gear and engine braking will allow you to CRAWL the Jeep; you should rarely need to apply even moderate braking when crawling downhill.
Personally as a plug and play.... I would search for a NVG241OR from a Rubicon....

Last edited:
I find it odd that the OP is asking if he should apply clutch or brake downhill, specifying he's been off-road twice and everyone's answer so far is "go buy and atlas" " install a d300 with 4-1 and a flip kit" "swap in a 2000$ NP241"

Not making assumptions about the OPs wallet or technical abilities, but it doesn't sound like the go-to should be a TCase swap between 1500 and 4000$

Idk maybe his 1st 2 wheeling trips were hells gate at hells revenge and sledgehammer in JV but I doubt that.

No ones even asked what his intended use is or what terrain he wheels in.

Just drive it, don't think about it. Hit the brakes to slow down, if it starts to stall push in the clutch or let it stall. Remove the fuse for the clutch depress switch so you can start your jeep in gear without the clutch pushed in. I have done this several times on steep climbs where i stalled, just leave the clutch out and hit the starter and she will start climbing and start right up. Yes, having a 4:1 low range is nice but it is not a must have to go wheeling. Plenty of people out there having fun with there 2.72:1 cases. I have a 5sp with a 4:1 case and love it, I also have a TJ with a 5sp and a 231 and I still have just as much fun in it, it is just a little more work. You can wheel all over with your current setup, just get out there and wheel it and you'll figure it out over time.

With the other modifications you have already; the 4:1 will make all the difference...
I have a 4:1 in my '98 XJ 4.0L AX15 w/4.56 locked front and rear.
The 4:1 with 1st and 2nd gear and engine braking will allow you to CRAWL the Jeep; you should rarely need to apply even moderate braking when crawling downhill.
Personally as a plug and play.... I would search for a NVG241OR from a Rubicon....
again I think we need to identify specifically the downhill crawling were talking about. Muddy slope, I concur with your assessment. Downhill boulder field or rock garden you will alternate gas and brake frequently

I find it odd that the OP is asking if he should apply clutch or brake downhill, specifying he's been off-road twice and everyone's answer so far is "go buy and atlas" " install a d300 with 4-1 and a flip kit" "swap in a 2000$ NP241"

Not making assumptions about the OPs wallet or technical abilities, but it doesn't sound like the go-to should be a TCase swap between 1500 and 4000$

Idk maybe his 1st 2 wheeling trips were hells gate at hells revenge and sledgehammer in JV but I doubt that.

No ones even asked what his intended use is or what terrain he wheels in.
He needs a RubiCrawler and everything needed to install one.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Farmergreg