Driveline noise when accelerating

M.ryan.brooks

Hello everyone, I just bought my first jeep a few weeks ago and i have noticed a loud growling/whining sound coming from under the Jeep when I give it gas while at higher speeds. It’s a 2004 wrangler sport with the Dana 44 rear end. Has a 6” lift with the drop bracket for the transfer case. I replaced the u joints which solved the vibration issue (jeep is lifted) due to the worn out u joints, but the loud roar is still there. When I’m up to speed and put the car in neutral and rev the engine it doesn’t do it. It only does it when I’m in gear and when I’m giving it gas. If Im in gear and coasting it doesn’t do it. I just changed the transfer case fluid thinking that might help it but it still there. It does need a new rear pinion seal as there is a seaping amount coming from the front of the rear differential. What should I check for? Any ideas? Thank you in advance for the help.

You need to check the gear oil levels in each differential and pull the cover of each if you suspect that's the source... Draining the fluid alone might tell you a lot..shavings will be in it.

Hello everyone, I just bought my first jeep a few weeks ago and i have noticed a loud growling/whining sound coming from under the Jeep when I give it gas while at higher speeds. It’s a 2004 wrangler sport with the Dana 44 rear end. Has a 6” lift with the drop bracket for the transfer case. I replaced the u joints which solved the vibration issue (jeep is lifted) due to the worn out u joints, but the loud roar is still there. When I’m up to speed and put the car in neutral and rev the engine it doesn’t do it. It only does it when I’m in gear and when I’m giving it gas. If Im in gear and coasting it doesn’t do it. I just changed the transfer case fluid thinking that might help it but it still there. It does need a new rear pinion seal as there is a seaping amount coming from the front of the rear differential. What should I check for? Any ideas? Thank you in advance for the help.

Check the differential (front and rear), have them inspected.
start from there.
and let us know.