Driver side rear roll bar speaker. I dunno.

I dunno where you'll find that on a conventional head unit. Some touch screens have that but touch screens aren't the way to go in a Jeep since you can't operate them by feel and it's too dangerous to take your eyes off the road long enough to see where your finger needs to touch. I wouldn't want a touch screen radio in any of my vehicles.

I'd prefer not to have a touch screen either.

I didn't think about white screen and black letters. I'll have to look and see what I can find.

And I've been thinking of replacing the speakers in the dash. Should I get another set of the Polk DB522, 5.25"? Or should I go with the 4x6?
4x6 is easier. IMHO, go with 4x6. Full range of sound, highs, miss and LOWS.

As an old audio guy who was involved with very high end audio equipment for large venue environments like concert halls and stadiums, I'll always go with round speakers whenever possible. Oval-shaped speakers are considered compromise speakers meant only for when a round speaker can't be made to work. Oval-shaped speakers just don't have as much potential for the best possible sound.

Since inexpensive adapters are available so good quality round coaxial 5.25" speakers can be mounted in place of the OE 4x6 speakers, that's how I would go if it was for my TJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovemachine
this is what I've read as well. How many oval shaped head phones have you seen? As an argument against myself, I've heard some pretty sweet sounding 6x9's.

I didn't need to do any trimming, but I've read where some had to do some minor trimming.

Very early TJs like my '97 had an oddball size 4x6 opening and cutting/hacking was required to convert to the 5.25" or even a standard size better quality 4x6 speaker. Later model TJs had a standard 4x6 size opening and are easier to convert to 5.25". I don't know when Jeep went to the standard 4x6 size opening but I think it was by 2000 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
The dash speakers are very important for the overall sound experience, IMO. Most of your sound stage comes from the front. The pod speakers are so dang close to your ears that you need to dial them down to even it out.

For an '05, if I use this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009DHE462/?tag=wranglerorg-20

There shouldn't be any cutting required to fit a 5.25" speaker, correct?
That adapter looks good. It's really up to you and how much you want to spend. In all honesty, if you really want to improve your system, get the new head unit, make sure it has pre-amp outs, replace dash and sound bar speakers (Polk are great), get a compact powered sub like the Kenwood PS-8, and mount it under the rear seat and call it a game. Sound will be so much more awesome. Worrying about 4x6 vs 5.25 in the dash is really small fries compared to adding a compact powered sub, and it's as easy or easier than the other stuff. I'd do it for you if you lived close.

Reactions: lovemachine
Wow, this all way to complicated for a beginner trying to find out what's wrong. Simple solution, disconnect all speakers except the problem one. Listen for the sound and go from there. Even swap the speaker to see if it happens again. It can something as simple as your + - being grounded out when u hit bumps. Baby steps. No need to go out buy testers. Last resort, stop by your local audio shop and I'm sure they will locate the issue for a small tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree if you are going aftermarket get something with a sub pre amp out and setup an 8 or 10 inch sub. This will dramatically improve the overall sound quality of the system and take a lot of load off of the Full Range speakers so they only need to handle the mid and high range frequencies. As @Jerry Bransford likes to remind people pickup speakers with a higher sensitivy (92db is ideal). Lastly pick a unit that has bluetooth streaming. You can keep your phone in your pocket and listen to your tunes!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Hang on!!! It's been 6 years!! No result??
I have the same issue! Buzzing that sounded like a blown speakers, I bought a new set, put them in, and the same noise ... I think it's something rattling in the soundbar, will check, it probably not the head unit, as I replaced that as well.