Drivers side lighting not working properly after turn signal switch change

JoshJ04

97 TJ

Hey, guys! My Jeeps turn signal switch (MFS) recently died on me. It was causing my headlights to not work and only my highbeams would work if you pulled the switch back (or pushed forward) hard enough and held it. I bought a brand new switch online and just replaced it and my headlights finally work again! But now I'm having a new issue... The drivers side headlight, turn signal, and fender parking light are extremely dim. On the gauge cluster, the left turn indicator as well as the highbeam light are illumated. Not really sure why this is happening now. The switch is brand new, so I doubt it's that. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!

20240222_224816.jpg

20240222_224835.jpg

What brand of switch-

Somethings have to be Mopar and you may want to go back and check your connections too.

IF you find nothing wrong with the MFS connector or wiring harness; remove the MFS and with the harness disconnected spray some electrical contact cleaner in the MFS and cycle the switch mechanism. Let the MFS sit for a few minutes and reconnect the wiring harness.
I found that on my MFS the internal electrical contacts were oxidized and hanging up; after cleaning with the electrical contact cleaner the problem was gone.

Reactions: AndyG
IF you find nothing wrong with the MFS connector or wiring; removed the MFS and with the harness disconnected spray some electrical contact cleaner in the MFS and cycle the switch mechanism. Let the MFS sit for a few minutes and reconnect the wiring harness.
I found that on my MFS the internal electrical contacts were oxidized and hanging up; after cleaning with the electrical contact cleaner the problem was gone.

This man as well- another champ.

It's all caused by a bad ground on the rear of the grill near the dim headlamp. The horn and wiper washer pump are grounded at the same point on that side. Sometimes when that ground is bad, using lights, turn signals or horn can trigger the wipers as the current routes to ground through the washer pump and on to the wiper switch.