Drop pitman and crossover steering?

Blkout

I have an 06 Rubicon TJ and decided to install my zone 3 inch lift and metal cloak control arms. Do i need or do you recommend changing the drop pitman arm (what brand and size)? I was going to upgrade and do the cross over steering conversion. (rugged ridge)? What brand do you recommend. Anything else needed with this mod or recommendations would be helpful. I currently bought a new teraflex steering stabilizer as well;) Thanks!!!

A crossover steering setup on your factory axle is NOT an upgrade, neither is a drop pitman arm.

All that is is a recipe for disaster and headaches. You have nothing to gain by going to this setup, but everything to lose.

Terrible idea.

If you want the best steering setup you can get, stick with the stock pitman arm and the Currie steering:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM9F5M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

To elaborate, the dpa will create bump steer by screwing up the relationship between the drag link and track bar. Crossover steering often causes a dead spot in the steering by allowing tie rod roll.

There is no reason for either to happen.

They're Right You Know.JPG

I'd upgrade steering with the ZJ 1 ton parts when you are replacing the tie rod and ends. Very simple and cheap to do. If your stock items no longer let you adjust the toe in that is the time to do it (or any other tie rod issue). The drag link for the ZJ is the same as the TJ so just replace that when it's time. My whole lower steering parts were questionable when I got my TJ so I just ordered everything new. Use plenty of antiseize on all threaded components and put some form of protection on all exposed parts to keep rust at bay.👍

I'd upgrade steering with the ZJ 1 ton parts when you are replacing the tie rod and ends. Very simple and cheap to do. If your stock items no longer let you adjust the toe in that is the time to do it (or any other tie rod issue). The drag link for the ZJ is the same as the TJ so just replace that when it's time. My whole lower steering parts were questionable when I got my TJ so I just ordered everything new. Use plenty of antiseize on all threaded components and put some form of protection on all exposed parts to keep rust at bay.👍

The drag link is different between TJ and ZJ. The OD is the same, the pitman arm's tierod end are the same, but they are bent differently... The TJ one fits much better.

I guess that means I have a small piece of history with the Rock Jock by John Currie sticker that came with my new track bar.
Currie Enterprises split into two companies. Currie (no Rock Jock) and Rock Jock by John Currie. 2 of the brothers took Currie, John took RJ. Essentially the axle side went with Ray and Charlie, John took the suspension side.

the rocknut is kinda cool. wonder what that's adding to the cost.

how often are people cranking their joints loose?
It is not a solution for everyone. It is a solution for the folks that get in the rock with a double adjustable arm rotated until the body is against the mount and then the rocks turn the arm further and break the jam nuts loose. Pretty common and this will stop it.

Reactions: someguysjeep