Duralast Platinum AGM battery

TJ Jonny

TJ Enthusiast
I know we have quite a few threads on here regarding battery brands. I’m looking at getting the Duralast Platinum AGM to replace the FACTORY battery currently in my 2004. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the date on it, but it appears to be the original. My dad bought it new in ‘04 and I inherited it last year with ~50K on it.

Does anyone have experience with this particular battery? I’m not too worried about getting a few more amps out of another brand, just wondering if anyone here has positive experience with it.

Last edited:
I used a Duralast Platinum in our Honda we used to own, it was a fine battery and I would have no problem recommending it.

Reactions: greenliftedtj97
I know we have quite a few threads on here regarding battery brands. I’m looking at getting the Duralast Platinum AGM to replace the FACTORY battery currently in my 2004. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the date on it, but it appears to be the original. My dad bought it new in ‘04 and I inherited it last year with ~50K on it.

Does anyone have experience with this particular battery? I’m not too worried about getting a few more amps out of another brand, just wondering if anyone here has positive experience with it.

*Edited*

I went to the web site and compared the Platinum and Gold. The Gold isn't an AGM which struck me as odd, so I just went out to the Jeep and looked and sure enough I bought the Duralast Platinum. Thinking back on it, I went that route because I knew that I wanted the AGM.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
I've read the other threads on the older Diehard Platinum battery option but its no longer available. Is this as good or is there a best overall in your opinion that replaced the diehard platinum or another brand?
That's a shame, they were an odessey battery in drag but for half the price. Picked one up years ago and it's still going strong with regular winch duty.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I've read the other threads on the older Diehard Platinum battery option but its no longer available. Is this as good or is there a best overall in your opinion that replaced the diehard platinum or another brand?
Odyssey is the #1 brand I'm aware of, they're also who made the Diehard Platinum for Sears. The Odyssey PC-1500 is what I'd go for if you have the budget, and if you have a winch go for the model that includes the extra side connections for the winch to connect to which is the PC1500DT. The Bosch Platinum is another good battery, and most AGM batteries would be good choices. The only AGM battery I know to not recommend is Optima whose quality took a dump after Johnson Controls purchased them and moved their manufacturing to Mexico.

Last edited:
I went with Interstate Battery MT7-34. Love the AGM, the only down side is that it does not have side mounts for hooking up a winch.

Um, side posts are not generally rated for close to the amp draw needed for a winch. If i remember correctly its about 60amps or so continuous load. A winch can easily pull 300-500A depending on how hard it's working. You really should have em connect to the top posts unless you have some info for your specific battery that says they are OK for that kind of load.

Um, side posts are not generally rated for close to the amp draw needed for a winch. If i remember correctly its about 60amps
Odyssey side posts are up to the load of a winch. So are my Diehard Platinum side posts. You may be thinking of Optima whose side posts are definitely not.

I do not believe the Diehard Platinum is available anymore nor have I heard anything good about Odyssey Batteries recently. I would probably go with this for my replacement. According to the seller/manufacture the side posts are rated for full amperage. I have not physically seen one so I am basing my recommendation on a picture.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/jeep/wrangler/2006/l6-4.0l-600cca/sli34=78agmdp

X2Power Premium AGM Battery with Dual Terminals for 2006 Jeep Wrangler L6 4.0L 600CCA Car and Truck

SLI34-78AGMDP

I do not believe the Diehard Platinum is available anymore nor have I heard anything good about Odyssey Batteries recently. I would probably go with this for my replacement. According to the seller/manufacture the side posts are rated for full amperage. I have not physically seen one so I am basing my recommendation on a picture.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/jeep/wrangler/2006/l6-4.0l-600cca/sli34=78agmdp

X2Power Premium AGM Battery with Dual Terminals for 2006 Jeep Wrangler L6 4.0L 600CCA Car and Truck
Odyssey stopped making the Diehard Platinum years ago. Odyssey is still the standard by which other batteries are compared, you can't beat the Odyssey. That 600CCA battery in your link is a bit undersized if you plan to use it for winching. Jeep size winches normally recommend nothing less than 650-700 CCA. The Odyssey PC1500DT I recommended above has 850CCA.

Odyssey side posts are up to the load of a winch. So are my Diehard Platinum side posts. You may be thinking of Optima whose side posts are definitely not.
That's good to know, I figured that a big part of the current limit would be the fact that a the threads of a bolt are the only contact points for the terminal and they'd all have the same limit. I'll have to see if i can find specs on mine to see of I can make use of the side posts.