Got me. I defer to someone more knowledgable than myself on that one.

@mrblaine, what are those called?

If you were going to spec out a bumper with recovery points that used common anchor or bow shackles, you would refer to them as "shackle tabs" or recovery tabs with a hole for a shackle pin and then you would specify hole diameter and tab thickness as well as hole offset from bumper face to allow rotation of the shackle eyes.

Humvees have D-ring mounts because they use actual D shackles and the eye mount bolts to the front of the vehicle. They are also used for tie downs, and lifting points when the rig is air lifted.

Similar to this-

attachment.php?attachmentid=51956&stc=1&d=1260549630.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Haha... Guys, this is like the whole 'engine vs. motor' thing, round two!
It's actually not the same. Warn is pandering to ignorance instead of education and that is offensive.

The rigging industry and manufacturers have names for what the part is. Learn them or don't, that won't change what they are either way.

It is pretty much like ordering fasteners from a real fastener company. If you order a bolt, you won't get a hex head cap screw.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
It's actually not the same. Warn is pandering to ignorance instead of education and that is offensive.

The rigging industry and manufacturers have names for what the part is. Learn them or don't, that won't change what they are either way.

It is pretty much like ordering fasteners from a real fastener company. If you order a bolt, you won't get a hex head cap screw.

The whole thing makes me go way beyond chuckle!:D

Reactions: Chris
working for a large fastener company, you would (or not) be surprised at what I hear people ask for. Different parts of the country call different fasteners by different names. Some times I have to ask them to show me what it is they want and I find the correct size or grade for them. I don't get all caught up in the "correct" terminology as long as the customer is happy. "self tapping"? or "self drilling"?
Always good for a confused look.

Reactions: Ron505
working for a large fastener company, you would (or not) be surprised at what I hear people ask for. Different parts of the country call different fasteners by different names. Some times I have to ask them to show me what it is they want and I find the correct size or grade for them. I don't get all caught up in the "correct" terminology as long as the customer is happy. "self tapping"? or "self drilling"?
Always good for a confused look.
I spent a fair bit of time educating my partner at one point in time how to order fasteners and if you didn't have at least the basics down, it was going to be an expensive lesson.

He was supposed to order 1000 pcs. to nearest keg quantity of two sizes of Grade 8 hex head cap screws 7/16-14 x 4 1/2" and 1/2-13 x 5".
We got 4 kegs of the smaller and 5 of the larger in hex socket head cap screws which he wouldn't return because he didn't want to admit the mistake. He finally had them delivered to my house about 4 years later with the story. That is a very oddball fastener to use that many of so I kept a handful of each and took the rest over to my very good hardware supplier and traded them for stuff I could use.

Be careful what you ask for, sometimes you actually get it. I don't get all caught up in the correct terminology until it matters.

Reactions: Stinger