E-brake in tight trail turns?

Kon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
It was the “trail turn assist” (more info here; https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ing-and-suspension/what-is-trail-turn-assist/) that is offered in the new Bronco made wonder.

Can we get better turning radius on tight turns by pulling the handbrake a few clicks up and trying to drag the rear end through the corner?

I understand that this is the principle on which trail turn assist is based. Just done in a fancier/electronic way…

front dig. seen it done like a power brake as you describe, but the real way is to have a transfer case that can isolate the front drive sys, leaving the rear drive in neutral.

Reactions: SvtLdr
front dig. seen it done like a power brake as you describe, but the real way is to have a transfer case that can isolate the front drive sys, leaving the rear drive in neutral.
Done correctly, you would want enough rear brake force out of the cutting brake to lock up the tire on one side on the rear axle, leave it in 4 wheel drive, open diff, apply power and use the outside tire to help spin it around the locked up brake applied inside tire. The problem with cutting brakes in a TJ is none of the rear brake options are stout enough to lock the tire fully.

Reinventing turning brakes from dune buggies it sounds like. I can only imagine the mess of electronic shit ford came up with to make that fly.
I was thinking the same. Although I’m not @Zorba-level tech averse, I prefer traditional/mechanical stuff in cars also, hence the thread. 😉

Reactions: Zorba
Reinventing turning brakes from dune buggies it sounds like. I can only imagine the mess of electronic shit ford came up with to make that fly.
I would think it could be done with programming changes. In modern vehicles with abs brakes, traction and stability control there is already a valve to separate each wheel brake circuit and a pump to apply brake pressure. I would think it would be a matter of adding a switch and program it.

I would think it could be done with programming changes. In modern vehicles with abs brakes, traction and stability control there is already a valve to separate each wheel brake circuit and a pump to apply brake pressure. I would think it would be a matter of adding a switch and program it.
That is exactly the way the B-—— system works, and for the JT/JL you can use a Taser programmer to do the same thing.

Done correctly, you would want enough rear brake force out of the cutting brake to lock up the tire on one side on the rear axle, leave it in 4 wheel drive, open diff, apply power and use the outside tire to help spin it around the locked up brake applied inside tire. The problem with cutting brakes in a TJ is none of the rear brake options are stout enough to lock the tire fully.
Nicely explained, got it. Tnx!

Btw, I guess that rally cars that use the e-brake to assist in tight turns, even though it is applied to both rear wheels, they get assisted by the sliding of the whole rear end of the car due to its momentum?

Nicely explained, got it. Tnx!

Btw, I guess that rally cars that use the e-brake to assist in tight turns, even though it is applied to both rear wheels, they get assisted by the sliding of the whole rear end of the car due to its momentum?
Not sure but I can tell you that you will be in a very long line of folks who check with me weekly to see if we have any backing plates for rear discs if you get enthusiastic about trying the parking brake stunt. The anchor tab for the shoes tends to shear right off.

I was thinking the same. Although I’m not @Zorba-level tech averse, I prefer traditional/mechanical stuff in cars also, hence the thread. 😉
There sure doesn't seem much these days that can't be fucked up with a microprocessor. Why do it the simple, reliable way when you can make it complicated, unreliable, and expensive? "Now rebooting driver's door handle..." Ridiculous...

Did someone say cutting brakes?
200.gif

I am a big fan of cutting brakes, but as Blaine notes even using JT brakes which are a step above JK brakes, its not enough to do a full power lock on the inside tire while spinning the outside. However, if you put the inside tire against an obstacle it works pretty well even with rear power (still open diff). Cutting brakes were one of my funnest modifications becuase it gives you more levers to pull while wheeling and its quite effective when paired with an atlast. IT's not an expensive or overly complicated modifcation. Here's details of my journey.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tj-cutting-steering-brakes.46656/page-2https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...e-the-3-rs-of-a-first-build.30419/post-862451

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition and Kon
Interesting. Will try it if the case arises.
What i meant was *with cutting brakes* you can put the inside tire against an obstacle and spin the outer under power pretty well. That being said, If the obstacle is right, like a sharp overhang or something or you kind of bump the tire against a try so it bounces the inside tire back it can be done without cutters as well.

What i meant was *with cutting brakes* you can put the inside tire against an obstacle and spin the outer under power pretty well. That being said, If the obstacle is right, like a sharp overhang or something or you kind of bump the tire against a try so it bounces the inside tire back it can be done without cutters as well.
Good you clarified that. I think I got it. 🙂

Not sure but I can tell you that you will be in a very long line of folks who check with me weekly to see if we have any backing plates for rear discs if you get enthusiastic about trying the parking brake stunt. The anchor tab for the shoes tends to shear right off.

How about using a couple line locks, one for each rear wheel? Then you'd be using the regular hydraulics instead of the cable.

Not something I need, just brainstorming...

*edit* nevermind I see this was brought up in the cutting/steering break thread

Not something I need, just brainstorming...
Everybody needs cutting brakes they just dont know it! Once you get cutting brakes any gravel lot will have an almost gravitational pull. [in my head, i guess i could run into that gravel lot and just do ONE donut. I mean ONE donut won't hurt anyone.]
200.gif