E12 Torx Trouble

My engine is coming out soon. Do all 2004 4.0s have the evil bolts?
Has anyone tried removing the motor mounts and lower the engine and get them from the top?
someone else will have to comment on the 04s but i definitely wouldn't try what you suggested.

It's honestly not hard as long as you have enough extensions, have a buddy apply pressure/keep you lined up so you don't strip it & use a breaker bar for high torque

No concerns, I just try to touch only what I need to. I'm not saying your method wouldn't work but I would definitely say that is harder than from below

someone else will have to comment on the 04s but i definitely wouldn't try what you suggested.

It's honestly not hard as long as you have enough extensions, have a buddy apply pressure/keep you lined up so you don't strip it & use a breaker bar for high torque
Yes, but you need to get the trans mount too and support both. it will give you some more room. I did this on an XJ.

It might be a lot of work with the skid plate though.

My engine is coming out soon. Do all 2004 4.0s have the evil bolts?
Has anyone tried removing the motor mounts and lower the engine and get them from the top?
I wouldn't worry, it's not as hard to remove as this thread has made you think it is. I didn't even know it was all that difficult to remove that bolt until I read this thread. Tilting the transmission down after removing the skidplate gives adequate access to that bolt, it certainly did for me. It does take a lot of extensions between the E-12 and ratchet wrench to reach it but I didn't realize that was hard either when I did it. Do use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter (the E-12 has a 3/8" drive opening) so you can use a 1/2" ratchet wrench.

I wouldn't worry, it's not as hard to remove as this thread has made you think it is. I didn't even know it was all that difficult to remove that bolt until I read this thread. Tilting the transmission down after removing the skidplate gives adequate access to that bolt, it certainly did for me. It does take a lot of extensions between the E-12 and ratchet wrench to reach it but I didn't realize that was hard either when I did it. Do use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter (the E-12 has a 3/8" drive opening) so you can use a 1/2" ratchet wrench.
Agreed. I've been into my clutch/transmission area multiple times for various reasons and those bolts have never been any experience unlike any other bolt for me. Simple remove and reinstall. Of course lots of extensions to make it easier to reach, but they have never been an ordeal for me to unthread personally. Not sure why so many people run into issues with them. I could see maybe rust issues, otherwise it's just a special socket for a special bolt head, to operate a standard bolt as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The biggest problem is seating the etorx properly and stripping them.

Especially if the (most store bought) socket is not a perfect tight fit.

The biggest problem is seating the etorx properly and stripping them.

Especially if the (most store bought) socket is not a perfect tight fit
I cannot believe how many people have trouble with a frigging E-12 bolt. This thread is the first I have ever in 25 years of being in Wrangler forums/newsgroups of anyone having so trouble getting their E-12 bolts out or (especially) back in.

I cannot believe how many people have trouble with a frigging E-12 bolt. This thread is the first I have ever in 25 years of being in Wrangler forums/newsgroups of anyone having so trouble getting their E-12 bolts out or (especially) back in.
Yep, its shocking lol. Check out NAXJA on this lol. I had trouble with a set once but never again. The subsequent times they all came out easy. I just follow my process and have not had one stick again yet. Maybe they would have come out easy, but after the first fiasco, I opted to follow a process lol.

Not all of us are pros like you Jerry

Does not having a problem the very first time I removed mine count for anything?
But not all people are mechanically equal...certainly not to the great Jerry..remember you were once the op...it may have been 80 million postings ago but you get my point...sometimes you come off as a know it all and it's annoying. Would you rather have 8 page threads about MC control arms?

• Face Palm
yep! Smarts in getting the job done for sure.

Did you remove them first before loosening any of the others?
No clue, I just removed them in no particular order. Especially since I wasn't looking for any particular problem removing any of the bolts.

Not to mention I'm not the only one in this thread wondering what all the hoopla is about with regards to that particular bolt.

I don't think Jerry was trying to be mean. He was replying to my post. Me and Jerry don't agree on everything, but I think we are around the same level of experience wrenching. If Jerry replied in the same way to someone just getting started I would have looked at it differently.

I don't think Jerry was trying to be mean. He was replying to my post. Me and Jerry don't agree on everything, but I think we are around the same level of experience wrenching. If Jerry replied in the same way to someone just getting started I would have looked at it differently.
I never said mean and frankly it doesn't matter to me because I removed the bolt in question with both arms behind my back while high on the crystal...im about respect and learning and when I feel someone is being a know it all I have trouble keeping my mouth shut..same way in real life away from the keyboard..

So, with 40" of extensions, a neighbour, plenty of deep creep, and an appropriate amount of cursing, it's out. It LOOKS as though someone used red threadlocker on just the exhaust side, which makes no sense, but, I could also be seeing things to hide my embarrassment. The driver side came out easily enough, there's no reason this should have taken ten hours.

Thanks for doing brainwork for me, y'all.