Easy Power Mods for Jeep TJ 4.0 Thread

Here are Dyno numbers for stock, 4 hole and 12hole injectors.
Also cold Air intakes on the dyno for 4.0l.
I think I will put snokel and enlarge the Air box.
Apparently you can get a few horsepower.
I already have the 12 holes installed.
Interesting that you loose about 45 horsepower to the wheels from the Auto Transmission and sold axles.

Used TJ air intake systems aren't hard to find for next to nothing, many cluelessly removed them to install a CAI. I'd rather drop a concrete block on my bare toes than run a cheap parts store cone air filter. I value my engine too much.
Ouch. That was painful just to read Jerry.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Also cold Air intakes on the dyno for 4.0l.
I think I will put snokel and enlarge the Air box.
Apparently you can get a few horsepower.
I already have the 12 holes installed.
Interesting that you loose about 45 horsepower to the wheels from the Auto Transmission and sold axles.

The differences are small and could be chalked up to small differences in the flow rate of the injectors changing the a/f ratio. I'm not discounting potential benefits of those injectors, but I am saying that dyno test wasn't exactly conclusive proof. I would suspect a tuner would notice improved ability to dial in idle and part throttle stuff, especially with a big cam. I'm skeptical of people claiming miracles and 2mpg boosts in economy though.

There is a large jump in the fuel air curve on the first two sets at about 3k, maybe that's where the operator floored the Jeep not realizing the max torque readings would be below that point or maybe intentionally trying to change the results and not realizing the fuel air curve would show what happened so clearly. With all the runs you can see the max torque was below 3k. Who knows what really happened but be careful of what you see on the internet. I don't really know how they did the runs but there's enough there for me not to consider this useful at all.

Easy power mods... the title of this thread alone is a huge misnomer :ROFLMAO:

Hey bro, maybe some 4-hole injectors will atomize my fuel and give me more power! Totally dude!!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and pagrey
I'm sure this thread has been discussed a million times. Here it is again and I feel the work and price is a good start on this mod if you want a little more power for an ease install and fairly cheap in price.
After market Roller rockers arms.
This mod should give you a 10 hp gain.

Here is list FAIL mods that don't produce any horse power gains:
I always here people say on the forums:
1.cold air intakes 10hp
2.62mm larger throttle body 10hp
3. throttle body spacers, 5hp
4.12 holes injectors 5hp
5. aftermarket header 10hp
6. 92 or 89 higher octane gas 5hp

After watching this video on a roller rocker arms on a dyno I'm considering this mod on my 4.0l next.

This thread is for cheap powers mods that work. Post your power mod and add to this list.
I’m a retired refinery operator & I made gasoline & other products for a living. Additional octane does not increase horsepower. It’s ONLY function is to decrease or eliminate pre-ignition knock. Sure if you have a high performance engine with high compression it will knock &, therefore, run like crap on 87 octane gasoline. There could even be damage with long term use. Jeeps fun fine on regular unleaded.
One more thing; the concentration of detergent additives (7 gallons per 1,000 barrels of gasoline) is the same for all 3 grades & all refiners follows the same thing.

My favorite power mod is to turn the overdrive off on the automatic transmission.
Same here. Even with 5.13's so many 6-8% grades in my town. I turn it off every drive pretty much.
divert-auxiary-power-to-more-cowbel-47739527.png

• Haha
Reactions: DEValken and AndyG
Is the juice worth the squeeze? Say you were going to rebuild a 4.0L with 200k miles. Bore if needed. New bearings etc.

Would it be worth it to replace a perfectly functioning head with it? On a stock'ish rebuild with out a lot of other power mods? No.

Supposedly my FRP tune yields around 15 WHP on a stock 4.0.

I am waiting for them to get back to me with the tune, so I should know by next week. Ryan seemed very adamant though.

Reactions: DEValken