EBay experts

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I needed a t-nut and clamp set up to hold down some drill fixtures. Found what I needed at a decent price of 59.99 with the shipping listed as "varies". I know about the bullshit high shipping crap on cheap stuff so I avoid them. Problem with this one is you can't see the shipping amount until you hit the commit to buy button. I did and then shipping came in at 78 bucks for USPS Priority Mail which I know is around 15 bucks for that box. I walk away and find it on Amazon. I get an email notice that I need to complete the transaction to avoid an "unpaid transaction case". I go back to eBay, log in, go to my shopping cart and there is not a "remove this item" from my cart option.

How do you get something out of the cart that you no longer want?

You can't.

Once you hit the buy it now, you're committed to buying it per your eBay agreement.

However, this has happened to me before, and if you just ignore it, within a week or two eBay will refund the listing fees to the seller, it will be removed from your cart, and the order will be cancelled.

This is how it was for me at least. There was never a way to remove it from the cart until eBay cancelled the order.

I would contact the seller directly to explain and see if they can remove the item. Going forward, I would contact the seller directly for a shipping quote before committing to buy.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Daryl
You can't.

Once you hit the buy it now, you're committed to buying it per your eBay agreement.

However, this has happened to me before, and if you just ignore it, within a week or two eBay will refund the listing fees to the seller, it will be removed from your cart, and the order will be cancelled.
That will work and perhaps the seller is actually stupid enough to file that unpaid claim. I'd love to have that discussion with him and eBay.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
That will work and perhaps the seller is actually stupid enough to file that unpaid claim. I'd love to have that discussion with him and eBay.

I'm not even sure there will be a discussion. I've had a few of these situations before myself and they always ended up being resolved in under 2-weeks without any input from me or eBay.

That bullshit they pulled with the shipping pisses me off. They need to just offer USPS flat rate shipping costs so they know the set price of the shipping. Isn't that the entire point of flat rate shipping? 🤦‍♂️

I would contact the seller directly to explain and see if they can remove the item. Going forward, I would contact the seller directly for a shipping quote before committing to buy.
Yes, I know that now. But, I have purchased 100's of items on eBay over the last 15 years and this is the first time I've run into the shipping varies bullshit and with the way I shop, I'm not going to wait for a quote. If I need something, it has to be handled in the allotted time or I'll just move onto the next thing I need.

I'm not unfair about it at all. I just bought some 2" round 7075 T-6. Guy has 24" pieces for a good price, I need 8 of them. I load 8 in the quantity and buy them. His shipping is screwed up and it only charged me shipping for 1 item. I get in touch and he sets up a buy it now for me for one other item equivalent in price to the extra shipping with our agreement that it won't arrive it is just covering the shipping on the other 7 pieces.

I'm not even sure there will be a discussion. I've had a few of these situations before myself and they always ended up being resolved in under 2-weeks without any input from me or eBay.

That bullshit they pulled with the shipping pisses me off. They need to just offer USPS flat rate shipping costs so they know the set price of the shipping. Isn't that the entire point of flat rate shipping? 🤦‍♂️
They don't mention what or how, just "shipping varies".

Yes, I know that now. But, I have purchased 100's of items on eBay over the last 15 years and this is the first time I've run into the shipping varies bullshit and with the way I shop, I'm not going to wait for a quote. If I need something, it has to be handled in the allotted time or I'll just move onto the next thing I need.

I'm not unfair about it at all. I just bought some 2" round 7075 T-6. Guy has 24" pieces for a good price, I need 8 of them. I load 8 in the quantity and buy them. His shipping is screwed up and it only charged me shipping for 1 item. I get in touch and he sets up a buy it now for me for one other item equivalent in price to the extra shipping with our agreement that it won't arrive it is just covering the shipping on the other 7 pieces.
I've also never run into this type of non-transparent BS before. I will definitely be wary of it going forward. If it's a great deal otherwise, and they are a good seller, I would still contact the seller ahead of time to see if we can work something out.

As others said just apologize to the seller. If they are a dick just leave it be. Ebay allows buyers up to 2 non-payments per year before they even take the smallest of actions. This is one reason I don't sell on ebay much anymore. As a seller you have almost no protections. I've had buyers not pay and had to sit on items until the waiting period to relist expired.

I usually avoid eBay because of the high price shipping crap. Ten dollar part with thirty dollar shipping, F that.

But they’re not the only ones, Amazon sellers do the same.

I insist on knowing the shipping charges first.

I’d contact the seller if it were me, try and resolve it myself.

Good luck.

that's annoying. I've also never seen that, but will be on the lookout now.

My latest annoyance on eBay involved buying and paying for a track bar that never arrived or got marked as shipped. I waited 5 days past the estimated delivery date and then contacted the seller to ask if it was still coming (but was clear I still wanted the item). No message back, just a refund. Makes me think they didn't actually have the item, and what would they have done if I never contacted them about it.

that's annoying. I've also never seen that, but will be on the lookout now.

My latest annoyance on eBay involved buying and paying for a track bar that never arrived or got marked as shipped. I waited 5 days past the estimated delivery date and then contacted the seller to ask if it was still coming (but was clear I still wanted the item). No message back, just a refund. Makes me think they didn't actually have the item, and what would they have done if I never contacted them about it.
We all know about the bogus shipping charges used to inflate artificially low item prices. I hadn't seen or dealt with the "shipping varies" crap before.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
shipping varies... right. I'll give you a few bucks more for the trouble of actually physically carrying the box into the post office or wherever you drop it off but this mystery shit until you provide payment info kinda stuff is no bueno.

ya i'm trying to decide between vendors too. both coming out of Cali, both comperable parts.

but 59$ for shipping from 1 and 149$ from the other.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Modoc Guy
We all know about the bogus shipping charges used to inflate artificially low item prices. I hadn't seen or dealt with the "shipping varies" crap before.

yep, that's a new one to me. I wonder if that's something new, 'cause I would think after using ebay for something like 20 years I would have come across it by now, if not as a buyer then as a seller.

I always sort by "Lowest Price+Shipping" so the ones with the artificially low prices fall in line where they really should be and I don't really even notice. I'll pay $50 to ship a $15 item if the one with free shipping costs $75, I still saved $10. Seems like "shipping varies" is a way for the seller to circumvent that.

Sounds old fashion, but call eBay to explain. They have great phone support. 1-(866)-540-3229

I needed a t-nut and clamp set up to hold down some drill fixtures. Found what I needed at a decent price of 59.99 with the shipping listed as "varies". I know about the bullshit high shipping crap on cheap stuff so I avoid them. Problem with this one is you can't see the shipping amount until you hit the commit to buy button. I did and then shipping came in at 78 bucks for USPS Priority Mail which I know is around 15 bucks for that box. I walk away and find it on Amazon. I get an email notice that I need to complete the transaction to avoid an "unpaid transaction case". I go back to eBay, log in, go to my shopping cart and there is not a "remove this item" from my cart option.

How do you get something out of the cart that you no longer want?
There is an option to cancel transaction. You just have to enter a reason eg. bought in error etc. click on search box ‘ how to I cancel a transaction.( ignore the contractual nonsense - say bought in error and the trans will be cancelled for you’
Cheers John.

There is an option to cancel transaction. You just have to enter a reason eg. bought in error etc. click on search box ‘ how to I cancel a transaction.( ignore the contractual nonsense - say bought in error and the trans will be cancelled for you’
Cheers John.
This is the only screen I get. Please circle that option for me.
1610506613278.png