Eclipse 2017

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Anyone doing Jeep stuff for the eclipse on 8/21?

We're doing a clan camping trip into the coast range to see it. It's supposed to be pretty spectacular.

NASA has a good Web site up on it with maps and background information.

I wish you well! I heard Lincoln County (which is ground zero for the eclipse) is supposed to be preparing for massive traffic, road rage, and a plethora of other issues (including over crowding). I keep reading it in the news, so we'll see whether it pans out or not, but they seem to be suggesting that people who are going out, may be better off staying in.

No matter, I live in Salem, and Salem (being on the 4h parallel) is a prime spot to be!

Reactions: StG58
Not too worried, except for the ride home. That's not going to be fun. We're scouting locations this weekend, and we'll be running back roads and trails from home to get there. The special people won't be within 10 miles of us in all likelihood.

Man, I love my TJ! (And it's capabilities)

Reactions: Chris
Not too worried, except for the ride home. That's not going to be fun. We're scouting locations this weekend, and we'll be running back roads and trails from home to get there. The special people won't be within 10 miles of us in all likelihood.

Man, I love my TJ! (And it's capabilities)

Yeah, I had a feeling you wouldn't be around the yuppies. That's good to know though, I'll be reading the news, anxiously hoping that something dramatic happens (you know, like mass riots, etc.). I'm not sure why, but I get a kick out of that stuff. :D

Saw somewhere that they are expecting 1,000,000 extra people in Oregon for this little solar event. Think on that for a bit. The path of totality is only a couple of miles wide. I'm sure you'll get to read about more stupidity than you want, @Chris.

Saw somewhere that they are expecting 1,000,000 extra people in Oregon for this little solar event. Think on that for a bit. The path of totality is only a couple of miles wide. I'm sure you'll get to read about more stupidity than you want, @Chris.

Yep, I'm very much expecting some crazy news stories! I love reading about stupidity and events that have no other explanation but "social Darwinism". With that many extra people, we're sure to see some crazy stuff!

Got to thinking about it some more...and I should put a winch on before "the event". There's probably going to be a number of idiots trying to get away from the crowds, meaning up into the back country. They are just bound to stick an F350 mall crawler or two in my way. Or a Subaru or something. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be a G-wagon! In chaos, there's profit. Hmmm... lol

Be sure and tank up, buy an extra gallon of milk and post the best craziness you find. It's going to be an experience!

Oh trust me, we will be doing some serious grocery shopping the week before. I'm not even going to attempt to go anywhere in that mess. I've got everything I need here at home. And if I need Taco Bell, it's right down the street :p

I've been doing some pre-trip planning, and it looks like I'll be dodging Simpson and Weyerhauser land on the trip down and the trip back up. Some of this is unexplored country to me, especially from Valsetz and to the west. I'll guarantee that the gates will be locked on Weyerhauser land, and it wouldn't surprise me if Simpson is shut down tight as well. I don't blame them either. With all the out of state snowflakes expected to be wandering about, a wildland fire is almost a certainty someplace. The east side of the Cascades would be a better bet for the actual viewing, but geography and land ownership is against me there.

It's actually a lot of fun to research and plan a trip like this.

Oh yeah, you can bet some asshole will start a fire. Even if they end up containing it really fast (which I hope they do), it's bound to happen. I'd be willing to bet the Forest Rangers will be out in full force.

It's going to be crazy here in central Oregon. The planning has been on the news for months. I don't know about going to the coast for this event. Regardless of any weather forecast the odds for a clear sky aren't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, you can bet some asshole will start a fire. Even if they end up containing it really fast (which I hope they do), it's bound to happen. I'd be willing to bet the Forest Rangers will be out in full force.
In the Siuslaw, that's all six of them.
It's going to be crazy here in central Oregon. The planning has been on the news for months. I don't know about going to the coast for this event. Regardless of any weather forecast the odds for a clear sky aren't great.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a true fact, if it's clear and warm in the valley the coast will be socked in. Luckily, two ridge lines back and the weather is usually superb that time of year. Not too hot, not too cold and clear skies. It's a microclimate thing.

We'll see if it's nice or not. In any event it's a new area and the whole clan will be there for the weekend.

Reactions: Chris and BendLarry
Got to talking with one of the maintenance guys at work last night, and he was telling me a guy over in Dental Furniture has a relative that is high up in the food chain at Warn. Supposedly he can hook me up with a new Warn for dirt cheap. Gotta check that out!

I'm feeling a Warn 9.0Rc in my future! 54 pounds of Warn heavy duty goodness on the front bumper. Ohhh-yaaah.

Last edited:
Here we go!
Spent about 17 - 18 hours, covered about 350 miles and burned up a tank and a half of gas. The area we looked at went from Hwy. 18 in the North to the Siletz river in the South, the Pacific Ocean in the west to just shy of the old town-site of Valdez in the East. The TJ is covered in dust and plant life. Lots of new brush pin striping. The turn signals and emergency flashers stopped working altogether.

That area is solid industrial timberland. It's also steeper than my home turf, if that's possible. As much as I bad mouth Weyerhauser sometimes for their gates and land access policies, the are doing a really good job of managing public access along the Siletz river. Kudos to them. The rest of the Timber Companies down there are a mix. LOTS of gates, some open, some closed and some unused. Surprised me that the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife had signage everywhere announcing "Closed to Motorized Access" signs everywhere! That had me stifled, until the Wife read the fine print. (Pee stop) We got lucky and it's only between a day before bow hunting season until the end of rifle season. That was on the signs in very fine print at the bottom of the sign. If you didn't get out of the rig and walk up to the sign to read it, you would have thought that the areas were just plain closed to motorized access. The whole area down there is shut down for public access during the work week.

The fly fishing on the Siletz river is amazing. Miles of perfect river to flip a fly on. Everyone we talked to had caught fish, and there are some monster trout swimming around in there. 16" to 18" was about average. Most folks were fishing "catch and release", which was good to see. You do have to hike down into a canyon to access about half the river though, so be prepared for strenuous physical activity to earn your fish.

There's a ton of game down there, and most of it is unused to humans. One big, pretty Doe stood in the middle of the road for two minutes flicking her ears to chase fly's away while staring at us and trying to decide if the TJ was a threat or not. She decided that we weren't a threat but ambled off to get out of the way eventually. She stopped about 25' up a hill and watched us drive slowly past. No bears (sign) and no cougars (sign) were sighted. No Elk (sign) were to be seen either.

Lots of flowers this time of year! We overnighted in a small clearing that was waist deep in daisies. Tons of other flowers are covering all the slopes and openings in the forest.

The roads are steep, steeper than up in our area. Well covered in 3" minus gravel though, with the occasional rock in the road. No skid roads to speak of. Everything is harvested by Highline down there, and has been for a long time. When you see the hills, it's no wonder why. Spit off the edge, and it will be a long time before it hits ground. Which brings up a point. I spent the weekend in first and second gear mostly. 31" tires and 4.10 gears absolutely suck balls down there. Seriously! A lot of the roads are steep enough that the 4-banger was trying to lug in second going up. Driving around in first gear is a lousy way to spend a weekend.

A note on maps of the area. Useless. Completely useless. The terrain is correct, but the road network is wrong in a lot of instances. Roads that are shown to connect, don't. Roads are there that aren't shown, roads that show aren't there. Positions are off by miles. It's no wonder people get out there and get lost. We gave up on the maps and started navigating by getting in a clear cut at the top of a hill and looking. Only way to go down there. We also ran two high end GPS units for redundancy. You are screwed if you loose your backtracks.

Got to talking with one of the maintenance guys at work last night, and he was telling me a guy over in Dental Furniture has a relative that is high up in the food chain at Warn. Supposedly he can hook me up with a new Warn for dirt cheap. Gotta check that out!

I'm feeling a Warn 9.0Rc in my future! 54 pounds of Warn heavy duty goodness on the front bumper. Ohhh-yaaah.

You know the 9.0RC only has 50' of rope instead of the usual 100' (I think it's 100' at least).

Is that an issue at all?

You know the 9.0RC only has 50' of rope instead of the usual 100' (I think it's 100' at least).

Is that an issue at all?
Probably not. I was thinking about it, and I'm rarely more than a couple of dozen feet from a substantial tree. An additional 50' of synthetic extender line is light weight and doesn't take up much room for use as a fall back position. The thing that cracks me up is that the 9.0Rc is only about 8 pounds lighter than an M8000! Sure would look sexy on the front of the TJ though.