Eclipse 2017

Interesting observation today. I went out to order some BLM high resolution maps to transfer my notes and sketches to, and bam! 404 error. Tried a couple of secondary sources and no joy there ether. Not even listed any longer. It may all be coincidental, but it did make me go hmmm. Wish I had ordered a week ago when I was looking at them. I have digital copies, so printing them up shouldn't be an issue, just more expensive. USGS and the local printer, here I come.

Maybe they purposely took them down to prevent idiots from attempting to go places they shouldn't? Seems awfully suspicious!

Reactions: StG58
Maybe they purposely took them down to prevent idiots from attempting to go places they shouldn't? Seems awfully suspicious!
If I was paranoid...that's what I'd think. It could just be a server error, it happens, and it wouldn't be out of the realm of probability for the secondary sources to be out of stock. Chalk it up to an interesting coinsidence.

If I was paranoid...that's what I'd think. It could just be a server error, it happens, and it wouldn't be out of the realm of probability for the secondary sources to be out of stock. Chalk it up to an interesting coinsidence.

I'm sure it is a coincidence. But let's see how long it stays down!

Oh good Lord! Our snowflake governor is calling out the National Guard!? Seriously? Maybe I better set Condition 1 in the clan and carry my StG58, 1911, body armor and battle rattle! Who knows, some Prius driver might throw a hissy fit on the side of the Nestucca River Highway or something.

They are trying really, really hard to turn this natural phenomenon into the Apocalypse, aren't they.

They are trying really, really hard to turn this natural phenomenon into the Apocalypse, aren't they.

It sure seems that way, doesn't it? Most of the higher-ups have admitted that they ultimately don't know what's going to happen (even ODOT said that), but that they are preparing for the worst. National Guard seems awfully extreme.

You do realize how disappointed I am going to be if something crazy doesn't happen? I'm at least expecting some idiots to get caught in the high tide at the coast.

With the way they're drumming this up, it had better be one hell of a show. I'm hoping for snowflake armageddon!

It sure seems that way, doesn't it? Most of the higher-ups have admitted that they ultimately don't know what's going to happen (even ODOT said that), but that they are preparing for the worst. National Guard seems awfully extreme.

You do realize how disappointed I am going to be if something crazy doesn't happen? I'm at least expecting some idiots to get caught in the high tide at the coast.

With the way they're drumming this up, it had better be one hell of a show. I'm hoping for snowflake armageddon!
I'm at work. I read that. I'm laughing so hard I almost fall off my forklift. Thanks @Chris, thanks lot.

It's going to be a case of unfounded paranoia probably. Some good humorous stories will develop for those that like extreme stupidity, but otherwise it's going to be hours of sucky boredom wrapping two and a half minutes of "well, that was kinda cool".

The entertainment will be provided by all the goings on before and after. We can only hope that enough snowflakes loose their minds that all the hoopla is worth it.

But hey! I get to do a little camping, a little expedition off roading and maybe even some fly fishing. Who knows? It'll be a good weekend in any case. There will be Bourbon involved, and I might splurge for a good bottle to share with the kids.

Reactions: Chris
I'm at work. I read that. I'm laughing so hard I almost fall off my forklift. Thanks @Chris, thanks lot.

It's going to be a case of unfounded paranoia probably. Some good humorous stories will develop for those that like extreme stupidity, but otherwise it's going to be hours of sucky boredom wrapping two and a half minutes of "well, that was kinda cool".

The entertainment will be provided by all the goings on before and after. We can only hope that enough snowflakes loose their minds that all the hoopla is worth it.

But hey! I get to do a little camping, a little expedition off roading and maybe even some fly fishing. Who knows? It'll be a good weekend in any case. There will be Bourbon involved, and I might splurge for a good bottle to share with the kids.

Maybe we'll get lucky and some suicidal cult will drink the poison Kool-Aid at the moment the Eclipse strikes. Hopefully they'll all be snowflakes too.

You're right though, I'm sure this is all building up to a big, "Well gosh, that really sucked." moment. However, I think that in the moments before and after (like you said), we'll probably see some stupid stuff.

If there's really as many people traveling here as they say (apparently every single hotel room and camp site is booked up), then there's no way that some laughable stuff doesn't take place.

Maybe we'll get lucky and some suicidal cult will drink the poison Kool-Aid at the moment the Eclipse strikes. Hopefully they'll all be snowflakes too.

You're right though, I'm sure this is all building up to a big, "Well gosh, that really sucked." moment. However, I think that in the moments before and after (like you said), we'll probably see some stupid stuff.

If there's really as many people traveling here as they say (apparently every single hotel room and camp site is booked up), then there's no way that some laughable stuff doesn't take place.
I'm kinda hoping for naked wood nymphs myself. Not much chance of that though.

The sure bet is probably several frustrated idiots doing crazy things in public and several morons setting fire to something. Probably a car or two is going to get a salt water bath. Supposed to be a really high tide to go along with this. All in all, most of the really good stuff won't even make the news, though it probably will make utube.

I'm kinda hoping for naked wood nymphs myself. Not much chance of that though.

The sure bet is probably several frustrated idiots doing crazy things in public and several morons setting fire to something. Probably a car or two is going to get a salt water bath. Supposed to be a really high tide to go along with this. All in all, most of the really good stuff won't even make the news, though it probably will make utube.

We can only hope! I really do have my fingers crossed.

Personally I think that if you took a vacation to Oregon for 2 minutes of an eclipse on a Monday, you've wasted your time and money. I can think of many other ways to spend that money.

Unless you're an astrophysicist, right? For me, it was an excuse to take a day off and get out into the backwoods.

Funny story. A good friend of mine is getting married the Friday before the eclipse. Good on him. Beautiful bride, really sweet woman. They are going on thier honeymoon down at the beach. They had no clue that the eclipse was happening until I mentioned it to him a few days ago. These people don't live under a rock, either. It's going to be a memorable honeymoon, but maybe not for the normal reasons.

Unless you're an astrophysicist, right? For me, it was an excuse to take a day off and get out into the backwoods.

Funny story. A good friend of mine is getting married the Friday before the eclipse. Good on him. Beautiful bride, really sweet woman. They are going on thier honeymoon down at the beach. They had no clue that the eclipse was happening until I mentioned it to him a few days ago. These people don't live under a rock, either. It's going to be a memorable honeymoon, but maybe not for the normal reasons.

Oh man... They might have a honeymoon from hell if the coast is going to be as packed as they suspect! Talk about bad timing. But, what can you do? As long as they don't try to go anywhere by vehicle, I think they should be fine!

And you being in the woods, you'll be fine too I'm sure. I really don't think the snowflakes are stupid enough to venture out in the woods that deep.

Oh man... They might have a honeymoon from hell if the coast is going to be as packed as they suspect! Talk about bad timing. But, what can you do? As long as they don't try to go anywhere by vehicle, I think they should be fine!

And you being in the woods, you'll be fine too I'm sure. I really don't think the snowflakes are stupid enough to venture out in the woods that deep.
I need to get some lamanated signs printed up. One would say "paddle faster, I hear banjo's" and one would say "Abandon all hope ye who enter here". Post them randomly throughout the forest.

I need to get some lamanated signs printed up. One would say "paddle faster, I hear banjo's" and one would say "Abandon all hope ye who enter here". Post them randomly throughout the forest.

That's either going to make people more curious, or scare them away.

To save the taxpayers the expense of all the police and National Guard and anyone from getting hurt, why doesn't the Governor of Oregon just cancel the eclipse ??
She would if she could, she would if she could...

If she was creative, which she isn't, she could come up with some line about how the eclipse is an old white man thing, and how it discriminates against various real and imagined minorities. Accomplish the same thing without all the violating the laws of physics hoopla.

To save the taxpayers the expense of all the police and National Guard and anyone from getting hurt, why doesn't the Governor of Oregon just cancel the eclipse ??

The governor of Oregon (along with the rest of the politicians here) are 100% useless.