Educate me on GMRS radios

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
SIAP - I searched for threads but not sure I understand what I found (and my search skills may be lacking) - found some info in UHF/VHF and HAM but not sure if either is the same as GMRS/FRS? Feel free to re-direct me if needed.

We do Jeep Jamborees and other off road events and it looks like most groups are switching from CB's to GMRS radios for required on trail communication. I have read up on the basics but I have not been able to find much specific "How to" info. I understand I need a basic license (simple & easy for GMRS) and Midland offers a unit that is similar to my CB setup with all controls on the mic ( MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA ).
Does this unit have all/most of the "features" you would want?
15 Watt - they go up to 50 Watt, can I assume the 15 Watt will at least have same performance/range as old CB?
Assume it is nice to have Repeater channels? Compatibility with FRS Radios?

My other questions are more about the antennas and mounts.
Do the antenna mounts need to be "grounded" (probably wrong terminology) like my current CB antenna?
I have a grounded (I think) hood mount for current CB antenna - Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Hood Mount (1997 - 2006) . Can I use this same mount for GMRS antenna?
How important is the length of the antenna for range etc.? Or is the "Gain" of the antenna more important - Gain: 6dB vs 3dB? or does more length automatically mean higher Gain?
Do you have to "tune" a GMRS antenna like you have to set the "SWR" on CB antennas?

Sorry for the probably very elementary questions but this all new to me... Any info appreciated!

To operate a GMRS radios legally....you require a license....
To operate FRS radios you do not require a license.
Both transmit on FM where the CB radios only transmit on AM.
The FM signal is quieter and will travel further than AM.
IF you are using a Ham Radio on the trail; you should be licensed.

IF you are using an external antenna for the GMRS radio; it should be tuned for the frequencies (462 and 467mhz) you are using.

Below is some information that may assist you.

GMRS

Last edited:
@Rick2004LJ, I too am in a similar boat. I've used CB's on the trail for years and just recently decided to upgrade to GMRS / HAM. I puchased a Baofeng UV-5R which is a handheld HAM radio and have started learning about it. I'm interested in advice on practical trail usage so I'll be following along.

I received an email over the weekend from the Jeep Jamboree folks. They are switching to FRS in 2021, not GMRS. After trying some handheld versions, they work pretty nicely, and my usual group of friends who wheel together are planning to switch over to them. I'll probably just run it, and the CB in the Jeep for the near future.

I received an email over the weekend from the Jeep Jamboree folks. They are switching to FRS in 2021, not GMRS. After trying some handheld versions, they work pretty nicely, and my usual group of friends who wheel together are planning to switch over to them. I'll probably just run it, and the CB in the Jeep for the near future.

More than likely the reason why the Jamboree decided on the FRS vs the GMRS would be the requirements for licensing and the FRS radios can be somewhat cheaper...

Our group started out using FRS hand helds for group runs. They worked ok and were inexpensive, but eventually we switched to CB radios. I still use the FRS radios in the RV for backing into sites and such.

It will be interesting to see if the partnership between Jeep Jamobree and Midland evolves into FRS/GMRS becoming more popular in the general offroading community. It seems unlikely given the licensing requirements of GMRS and the limited range of both FRS and GMRS but what do I know?

Reactions: bobthetj03
It will be interesting to see if the partnership between Jeep Jamobree and Midland evolves into FRS/GMRS becoming more popular in the general offroading community. It seems unlikely given the licensing requirements of GMRS and the limited range of both FRS and GMRS but what do I know?

The problem with AM is that it can be VERY noisy... which is why so many people are getting their Technicians License to talk on 144 and 440 Mhz FM.
YES... It will be interesting to see what the results are...

The problem with AM is that it can be VERY noisy... which is why so many people are getting their Technicians License to talk on 144 and 440 Mhz FM.
YES... It will be interesting to see what the results are...

I've been a ham for almost 20 years for that very reason. My jeep club switched from CB to ham after becoming frustrated with the scratchy signal and skip jockeys and/or música norteña filling half the channels.

KG6LMV

Reactions: CharlesHS

It is my understanding that the GMRS radio I linked also works with the handheld FRS radios? Someone please confirm or correct me please!

Also my understanding we can use either FRS or CB for this year 2020 (if they dont all get canceled) and FRS required for next year?

Finally on licensing - the GMRS radio I linked only requires the basic license (application only not test, $70, good for 10 years) not the HAM Radio "Technician" license?

I've been a ham for almost 20 years for that very reason. My jeep club switched from CB to ham after becoming frustrated with the scratchy signal and skip jockeys and/or música norteña filling half the channels.

KG6LMV

Skip Jockeys and Mexican music... I understand thoroughly...
It's difficult to transmit when someone is transmitting > 1000 W with a beam pointed your way.

Copy that...

KG6VVM

It is my understanding that the GMRS radio I linked also works with the handheld FRS radios? Someone please confirm or correct me please!

Also my understanding we can use either FRS or CB for this year 2020 (if they dont all get canceled) and FRS required for next year?

Finally on licensing - the GMRS radio I linked only requires the basic license (application only not test, $70, good for 10 years) not the HAM Radio "Technician" license?

Why would you want to spend $70 for a basic license to talk on GMRS when you can spend $5-10 for a Technicians License for 10 years and be less restricted as to what frequencies to talk on.
GMRS and FRS share a lot of common frequencies..., but not all...

I would be surprised IF the Jeep Jamboree doesn't get cancelled due to the amount of people that usually attend.

GMRS license costs $70, no test.

Amateur radio ("ham") technician license requires test. The test fee is $15.

Just hoping to get the guy interested in Ham Radio...
Most people with common sense and a little electrical knowledge can pass the Technicians test.
The tests are now $15.... ??
Guess that shows I am not keeping up on the price increases...

SIAP - I searched for threads but not sure I understand what I found (and my search skills may be lacking) - found some info in UHF/VHF and HAM but not sure if either is the same as GMRS/FRS? Feel free to re-direct me if needed.

We do Jeep Jamborees and other off road events and it looks like most groups are switching from CB's to GMRS radios for required on trail communication. I have read up on the basics but I have not been able to find much specific "How to" info. I understand I need a basic license (simple & easy for GMRS) and Midland offers a unit that is similar to my CB setup with all controls on the mic ( MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA ).
Does this unit have all/most of the "features" you would want?
15 Watt - they go up to 50 Watt, can I assume the 15 Watt will at least have same performance/range as old CB?
Assume it is nice to have Repeater channels? Compatibility with FRS Radios?

My other questions are more about the antennas and mounts.
Do the antenna mounts need to be "grounded" (probably wrong terminology) like my current CB antenna?
I have a grounded (I think) hood mount for current CB antenna - Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Hood Mount (1997 - 2006) . Can I use this same mount for GMRS antenna?
How important is the length of the antenna for range etc.? Or is the "Gain" of the antenna more important - Gain: 6dB vs 3dB? or does more length automatically mean higher Gain?
Do you have to "tune" a GMRS antenna like you have to set the "SWR" on CB antennas?

Sorry for the probably very elementary questions but this all new to me... Any info appreciated!

I'm in the middle of setting up my GMRS radio as we speak. The Midland MXT275 is a great radio and is the one I purchased. It will do everything you want in the GMRS spectrums and FRS channels 1-7 (not FRS channels 8-14). It comes with a mag mount antenna that you can plop on your hood and it will work fine. Any of the other Midland antennas (Ghost 3db or the 6db antenna will require a ground plane.

I'm either going to put the 32" 6db antenna on a tail light mount like my CB uses or I'll use the Ghost antenna on the hood. I can pop out one of the hood snubbers and put a 3/8" NMO mount through that hole and when the antenna is put away a black rubber dust cap will make it look just like a snubber.

The GMRS antenna shouldn't really need to be tuned as long as you purchased a quality antenna since they will be preset for those frequencies.

Corrections in GREEN above.

Last edited:
Why would you want to spend $70 for a basic license to talk on GMRS when you can spend $5-10 for a Technicians License for 10 years and be less restricted as to what frequencies to talk on.
GMRS and FRS share a lot of common frequencies..., but not all...

I would be surprised IF the Jeep Jamboree doesn't get cancelled due to the amount of people that usually attend.

Did not realize the Tech license is cheaper - Is there a test involved and if so what is best way to prep?

I'm in the middle of setting up my GMRS radio as we speak. The Midland MXT275 is a great radio and is the one I purchased. It will do everything you want in the FRS and GMRS spectrums. It comes with a mag mount antenna that you can plop on your hood and it will work fine. Any of the other Midland antennas (Ghost 3db or the 6db antenna will require a ground plane.

I'm either going to put the 32" 6db antenna on a tail light mount like my CB uses or I'll use the Ghost antenna on the hood. I can pop out one of the hood snubbers and put a 3/8" NMO mount through that hole and when the antenna is put away a black rubber dust cap will make it look just like a snubber.

The GMRS antenna shouldn't really need to be tuned as long as you purchased a quality antenna since they will be preset for those frequencies.

Any idea if my current antenna mount ( Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Hood Mount (1997 - 2006) ) will work with the Midland GMRS whip antenna?

I'm in the middle of setting up my GMRS radio as we speak. The Midland MXT275 is a great radio and is the one I purchased. It will do everything you want in the FRS and GMRS spectrums. It comes with a mag mount antenna that you can plop on your hood and it will work fine. Any of the other Midland antennas (Ghost 3db or the 6db antenna will require a ground plane.

What kind of range will it have?