Electric door locks and power windows: Not cool?

Nothing wrong with the cables but I'm not a fan.

I really like those. That was my plan originally, but I never found anything. So I just used weatherpack connectors, similar to what Turbo showed above.

As far as rain and soft top slashings, I only had the full doors with the power locks on during winter, when my hardtop was on. I ran soft doors and no rear windows all summer. Never had a problem.

The trouble is, with both locks and windows you've got a lot more than two connections. I think it was 5 on the driver's side and 4 on the passenger's side. And maybe it doesn't matter, but without a cable nothing will work with the door open.
I have electric windows and locks on my tow rig. I don't recall ever using them with the door open. As for the number of contacts needed.

1547763537447.png

Reactions: tomtaylz
Question: If you lock your door when getting out, will the passenger's door lock as soon as you shut your door and the contacts come together?
We set that one up with keyless entry which was the only reason for the electric door locks.

I'm not well versed enough in that circuitry to figure out how to wire in a OEM equivalent switch that locks the other doors with a single button. I would just use another keyless entry module again.

We set that one up with keyless entry which was the only reason for the electric door locks.

I'm not well versed enough in that circuitry to figure out how to wire in a OEM equivalent switch that locks the other doors with a single button. I would just use another keyless entry module again.

Thanks,
Jim

Electric windows and central locking on a utilitarian Jeep :watchout: ....next you'll be telling me you guys install heated seats !!! oh wait !! lol :facepalm:
Seriously though I like the idea and it looks very clean and professional so well done but not for my Jeep all this electric-ery wizard-ery is the devils work haha

If you go to section 6 of the Forum code you will find In Article 4a " aftermarket upgrades"

It clearly states that all modifications that have the intent to make the vehicle feel modern, comfortable and more like a conventional passenger vehicle must be submitted by the 15th of each month for review.

If you submit more than three applications in a six month period, you will be turned over to the " why didn't you just buy a JK" committee and you will be asked to explain your intentions.

Last edited:
If you go to section 6 of the Forum code you will find In Article 4a " aftermarket upgrades"

It clearly states that all modifications that have the intent to make the vehicle feel modern, comfortable and more like a conventional passenger vehicle must be submitted by the 15th of each month for review.

If you submit more than three applications in a six month. You will be turned over to the " why didn't you just buy a JK" committee and you will be asked to explain your intentions.
So power windows and locks are ok? Or they arnt lol? I’m getting confused these days. Ppl rant about motors and “creature comforts” because they wil “fail” but here we have an awesome example of them in a TJ and it’s accepted now lol. Suddenly electronics are ok. Ok carry on haha

Reactions: AndyG
So power windows and locks are ok? Or they arnt lol? I’m getting confused these days. Ppl rant about motors and “creature comforts” because they wil “fail” but here we have an awesome example of them in a TJ and it’s accepted now lol. Suddenly electronics are ok. Ok carry on haha
Man , most of us on here are just trying to keep them going and not a get a divorce over it . Half of our wives have left us for the ups driver because he's the only man she sees regularly.

I think it's cool someone attempted what he did .

I have a hard wired backup camera that pops up in the mirror I absolutely love , so I can't say much .

My wife's Lincoln has a heated steering wheel, now that feels great .

Come to think of it , my TJ is the first Jeep I ever had that actually had real glass roll up windows .

I think it's cool someone attempted what he did .

I have a hard wired backup camera that pops up in the mirror I absolutely love , so I can't say much .

My wife's Lincoln has a heated steering wheel, now that feels great .

Come to think of it , my TJ is the first Jeep I ever had that actually had real glass roll up windows .
Yea I have always liked the power windows and locks. I see them all the time on the nice LJRs I run across. It’s a nice touch I think. If your gonna spend 15-20k unfitting a 2003-2006 tj why not spend a little more and get power windows lol. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yea I have always liked the power windows and locks. I see them all the time on the nice LJRs I run across. It’s a nice touch I think. If your gonna spend 15-20k unfitting a 2003-2006 tj why not spend a little more and get power windows lol. Seems like a no brainer to me.
It's like marrying a "fixer upper " ...then the plastic surgeon gets all the money .

There may be a line between making one great and making one something it isn't .

There is not much to show or write up. The window winders and electric locks are sold by "Electric Life" and come as complete kits for the TJ/LJ. You need to buy a third lock actuator for the tailgate because that is not included in the lock kit. I added Molex connectors that can be disconnected to remove the doors. I also used coiled cables at the doors (not included in the kits). Installation of the actuators and window regulators is quick and easy. The time consuming part is all of the wiring that needs to be done particularly if you add the door disconnects. I guess the worst part was figuring out the truly awful Electric Life instructions.

The lock kit comes with a remote key FOB and transceiver but I did not install those. i am happy enough just to use the key.

View attachment 72701View attachment 72702View attachment 72703

I installed the same kit on both my '03 and '05 Jeeps. It was easy to install, and worked reliably on both Jeeps. I used the switches that came with it, like you did, on my '03. Back then, the instructions had the switch pod mounted over the hole left when you removed the manual window crank. It was right where my knee leaned against the door and I was always unhappy with that. It looks like your kit has a plug over the window crank hole, and the switches are mounted higher up, a much better arraignment.

For my '05, I bought an extra set of switches from the same company, and mounted them in the dash where both the driver and passenger can reach them. I did my own wiring using two relays instead of their harness.. I also have power door lock motors in my full-size and half-size doors, as well as the rear tailgate. Since I wasn't using the factory third brake light, I used that door switch for the tailgate motor. for the front, I used four pin wiring harness connectors so I could easily remove and swap the doors. I needed four pin connectors since I have both locks and power windows in the full-size doors. (five pins are only needed if you control the passenger window from a switch on the driver's door). I may convert them to the pin-style connectors that Blaine posted.

The power window switches mounted in the dash. Above the switches on the right is a little rocker switch for the door locks, and on the left is the override button for the alarm.
P4090036.JPG

Larry the cable guy "git 'er done" door plugs
P8240005.JPG

Power door lock motor and power window motor installed
P8240011.JPG

Finished door (the OEM look)
P8240012.JPG

Question: If you lock your door when getting out, will the passenger's door lock as soon as you shut your door and the contacts come together?

Not if you have a momentary contact switch to trigger the door locks. There is no "memory" to the switch, it is a push-button that is spring-loaded to return to the "off" position when you let go. So if you close the door later, it will not trigger the lock.

That means if you have contacts in the door jamb, you will have to wait until your passenger closes the door before you trigger the locks.

Here's a basic power door lock wiring diagram. Use a typical single pole/double throw spring-loaded rocker switch. The switch will have three pins, connect the center pin to ground, then the pin on one side goes to "Alarm Lock" in the diagram below, the other pin to "Alarm Unlock".

The same diagram can be used for power windows also, you will need two relays and one switch for each window.

Basically, at rest both relays are connecting the door lock motor to ground. When you trigger one relay, it switches to send +12v to one side of the motor, which activates it. Triggering the other relay sends +12v to the other side, which activates it in the opposite direction.

locks_actuator.gif

Relays are $10 for 4 with wiring harness at Amazon
Rocker switcher are under $5 at Amazon