Electrical short for parking lamps (black / yellow wire)

Skor2003

Supporting Member
Hey!

I just want to make sure I’m barking up the right wire. 2001 Jeep tj that has 2002 wiring (as far as I can tell). I’ve got the fuse #1 blowing every time I turn on the lights via the multifunction switch.

I’ve disconnected the connector that leads to the front parking lamps, next to the driver front wheel arch. I’ve disconnected C203, which as far as I can tell, disconnects the tail lights.

so here’s the question, I now hook my multimeter up to the black/yellow wire and to ground, and the resistance is 0. This means I’ve got a short to ground? I think if everything is working correctly, it’d have unlimited resistance.

I noticed the grey multifunction connector also has some damage right around pin 9, where the black/yellow wire hooks up. I’ve disconnected this as well and still have 0 resistance to ground meaning it’s not the connector?

thanks!! - been reading and hunting this for 2 days now.

Caution measuring for resistance when an incandescent bulb is in the circuit since if one side of it is connected to ground, the other side will measure a dead short to ground through the bulb's filament. If you're tracing wires and using a multimeter or continuity checker to look for shorts to ground, be sure to remove the bulbs in that circuit first.

Caution measuring for resistance when an incandescent bulb is in the circuit since if one side of it is connected to ground, the other side will measure a dead short to ground through the bulb's filament. If you're tracing wires and using a multimeter or continuity checker to look for shorts to ground, be sure to remove the bulbs in that circuit first.
Perfect thanks! So I am doing it wrong! I’ve heard of a lightbulb trick to protect against spikes in current, that viable? Stick a lightbulb in the fuse that’s blowing? What wattage keeps it limited enough to protect all the electronics?

Found it jiggling wires, the 3 or 4 that come from the instrument cluster to the main bank down by the left speaker.

I guess now to crack that wire bundle open and find the damage.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Perfect thanks! So I am doing it wrong! I’ve heard of a lightbulb trick to protect against spikes in current, that viable? Stick a lightbulb in the fuse that’s blowing? What wattage keeps it limited enough to protect all the electronics?
Glad you found the problem but the bulb wattage required to do that would vary by how much current is drawn by the circuit However, that's not a method of troubleshooting I'd recommend. :)