Engine Coolant Question

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

I am about to change my engine coolant, since I don't really know when was the last time it was changed (if ever).

I have the 2,4L engine, which means 9 quarts of engine coolant. The pre-diluted coolants I found (Mopar MS-9769 and Zerex G05) are 4 quarts.

Does that mean that I have to purchase 3 bottles? Is there anything I am missing? Do I need the third bottle, since I am going to use only the 1 out of 4 quarts? Or the coolant is not completely flushed when changing it so I need only 2 bottles?

Sorry if the question is stupid, it is just my first time doing this. Let me know!

An odd response I know... But buy as much as needed to fill the system. Buy 2 and if needed buy the third.

Good idea changing coolant. When I bought mine a few years back the fluid was a clean bright green, even for a few months after. Then all of a sudden it went ugly brown. Cleaned and flushed the system and 2 years later all is still good.

Reactions: Ephry73
The idea is to fill it completely with the coolant level it needs. Have enough to top it off every now and then. Looks like you will be doing the motor a good favor by ensuring everything is filled with the correct coolant. Get a label and note the date and type of coolant also. An engine flush wouldn't be a bad idea either since the system maintenance is doubtful.

E

I would Buy straight Coolant and do a flush if its pretty dirty.

I would flush the whole system with distilled water and then you could add ~4.5 quarts of coolant and top it off with water so you know you are running 50/50. I only say this because you dont know when the coolant was last changed and I personally dont feel comfortable chancing it and mixing coolants that aren't compatible

But to answer your question you are good with 2 gallons because there should be atleast a quart in the block

Reactions: Ephry73
Here's how I would do it — Flush the system with water and a flush chemical to get all the crud out. Then flush it 2 more times with distilled water. Then add 4 quarts of any full strength coolant you want (you don't need to run G05) and top it off with distilled water and be done with it.

Last edited: