Engine mounts

aidanm

TJ Enthusiast
So I put the brown dog 1” motor Mount lift on about a year ago now. Is it supposed to look like this with the sleeve coming out of both sides? I tried tightening it and it won’t tighten anymore and I’m worried about breaking the bolt if I try to keep tightening it.

image.jpg

Nevermind I figured out the issue they just sent out the wrong ones

You want to follow the instructions to a T..IIRC the bolts should be left slightly loose. I personally don't like Brown Dog mounts and any jeep I buy that has them gets removed and scrapped. I hope you have better luck

You want to follow the instructions to a T..IIRC the bolts should be left slightly loose. I personally don't like Brown Dog mounts and any jeep I buy that has them gets removed and scrapped. I hope you have better luck

If the recommendation really is to leave the bolts slightly loose, then that is reason enough to not use Brown Dog motor mounts. Their use of split bushings is already a red flag.

If the recommendation really is to leave the bolts slightly loose, then that is reason enough to not use Brown Dog motor mounts. Their use of split bushings is already a red flag.

IIRC you want the main through bolt loose enough that you can spin the washer on the end of the bushing by hand. Maybe this has changed recently? I'll look online at the instructions to make sure.

IIRC you want the main through bolt loose enough that you can spin the washer on the end of the bushing by hand. Maybe this has changed recently? I'll look online at the instructions to make sure.

Perhaps that would change after enough people complained about loose engines.

I cant find instructions in his website but I believe I am correct about leaving the through bolt "loose"..anyone have printed directions?

I've bought some Brown dog stuff in the past...my opinion these days is that it's junk. Mopar is the way to go, once those fall by the wayside I'll probably use M.O.R.E.

The Brown dog bolt torque recommendation is a joke. Snugging up the bolts until the washers stop moving and then slightly loosening the bolt until 1 or both washers move doesn't really make any sense. Essentially the end result is no torque on the bolt, just the nylock holding in it's position.

What's more crap is that when you finally remove the BDs, usually the bushings are loose and fall right out. I've got a MML set that I spent $160 on that I can't find a buyer for.

Reactions: P man
I've bought some Brown dog stuff in the past...my opinion these days is that it's junk. Mopar is the way to go, once those fall by the wayside I'll probably use M.O.R.E.

The Brown dog bolt torque recommendation is a joke. Snugging up the bolts until the washers stop moving and then slightly loosening the bolt until 1 or both washers move doesn't really make any sense. Essentially the end result is no torque on the bolt, just the nylock holding in it's position.

What's more crap is that when you finally remove the BDs, usually the bushings are loose and fall right out. I've got a MML set that I spent $160 on that I can't find a buyer for.

I had a full set including the engine side brackets..someone probably paid a fortune for. I pulled them off and literally couldn't give them away so to the scrap bin they went.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I had a full set including the engine side brackets..someone probably paid a fortune for. I pulled them off and literally couldn't give them away so to the scrap bin they went.

yeah, I have a set of the block brackets as well that I did pay a fortune for. Haven't tried to sell them because I know the shipping will be too much, and I doubt many would want to pay much for them. Probably will chuck them into the scrap pile eventually.