Engine Noise

Rickwhoo

TJ Enthusiast
I started my 2005 4.0 today and heard a strange sound. Kind of chirp sound. I opened the hood and it's coming from the oil pump drive. I can touch the top of it and feel some scraping. It was a weird chirp sound too. It wasn't constant but happened more as I revved it a little.

im betting your due for a replacement opda. if you were to remove the cover and wiggle on the shaft im betting it will rock from side to side due to the retaining bearings in the assembly being shot from age/wear.

its a easy repair that for whatever reason some people think its a difficult task to do.

Reactions: Rickwhoo
Agree, if you’re seeing an issue with that, I’d immediately get the replacement everyone suggests, I think it was crown, I think.

Then throw away the sensor that comes with it, out in the part, and use the OEM sensor.

Plenty of threads and videos on doing it. Agree, not easy , just pay attention to detail.

Should I replace the whole unit or rebuild it. I've been repairing cars for over 40+ years and never had to touch one of these.

Dont throw away the sensor that comes with the new OPDA! lol, Use your original if possible and keep the new one as a spare. Some people have had problems with the Crown and Doorman replacement sensor but many more have not!
The noise also is not always the lack of lubrication to the OPDA but it can be the OPDA oil pump drive on the camshaft. I would not even start it again until I replaced it! The drive cog on the OPDA is harder than the receiving worm on the cam, wear the worm on the cam and By By oil pressure.

Ok, Replaced it and wondering if it matters the position of the whole unit in its position on the engine? It turns exactly like a distributer would for adjusting timing. Does it matter???

Position of the entire unit relative to the engine doesn't matter as long as you aren't straining the wiring.

Position of the tone wheel to the sensor at no 1 TDC does matter.

Position of the entire unit relative to the engine doesn't matter as long as you aren't straining the wiring.

Position of the tone wheel to the sensor at no 1 TDC does matter.

It's strange how they allow it to be turned like a normal distributer tho. You would figure they would make it sit in one position. It has no affect?

No, the computer sets the timing.

If you rotate it around after you put it in, the PCM will throw a code for crank sensor, cam sensor mismatch when you get far enough out of spec.

All they did was take the bottom of the old 4.0 distributor and turn it into a cam sensor. But they screwed up the bushing lubrication... idiots.