Engine oil change interval: Why 6 months?

Fuck yes. I have rebuild at least 100 motors working for GM, and that is not counting the complete engine replacements that I have done.
2.4 Equinox engines are high up on the list. You can get over 7500 miles on them before your oil change light comes on. People will squeak every mile they can out of it.
The oil rings gum up and stick in the ring land, next thing you know the vehicle is consuming oil at 2 quarts every 1k miles.

5.3 k truck motors the same thing, thats if you don't end up pulling it down to replace the cam and lifters first. The AFM lifters always crap out.

1.4 and 1.5 motors also fail but not as often. They usually crack the ring land on #1 piston, then you have a dead hole. This is usually caused by detonation though. But I have torn them down for oil consumption also.
i guess if I ever buy one of those (which I wont being GM they lost me as a customer in the 80's) i will plan at changing the oil every time I fill the gas tank !

I change mine every 4k.
Newer cars with these stupid ass oil life monitor systems are rediculous. I've had customers put 7500-10k miles on their vehicles without doing an oil change. And their oil life is still reading 30%
You own a lube shop or something?

I have a Ford hybrid car and it usually goes about 20,000 between oil changes according to the oil life monitor (but a third of those are EV miles). Currently 210,000 miles on it so it seems to work for me. Its oil change costs $20 for a jug of Walmart synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.

5.3 k truck motors the same thing, thats if you don't end up pulling it down to replace the cam and lifters first. The AFM lifters always crap out.
Id imagine if it wasnt for GM's $1.25 pick up tube O ring failure starving an engine half the time the rebuild intervals would be much less. That and the POS lawn sprinkler oil screen under the sender that plugs and starves the upper end and the AFM junk the 5.3's would be O'tay. Pretty cool though, it like having a diesel and gas engine all in one with the F'ing clatter it makes for a few minutes when ya start one up. Gotta love Genitalia motors.

When you do drive it how far of trips you doing? Just putting around town or long runs with a fully heated engine to burn off condensation?
Don't want to hijack this thread as it's been really helpful in understanding when I should change my oil next, but want to understand something real quick re: the condensation you mentioned. I drive my TJ probably once or twice a week, usually just running errands around town, never longer than 20-30 minutes, and infrequently on the highway.

Each time I start her up I get a big plume out of the tailpipe and wasn't sure what it was - is that condensation burning off from sitting outside in the cold b/w drives?

Apologies if this is a dumb, question, but I've wondered for a while - thanks!

Don't want to hijack this thread as it's been really helpful in understanding when I should change my oil next, but want to understand something real quick re: the condensation you mentioned. I drive my TJ probably once or twice a week, usually just running errands around town, never longer than 20-30 minutes, and infrequently on the highway.

Each time I start her up I get a big plume out of the tailpipe and wasn't sure what it was - is that condensation burning off from sitting outside in the cold b/w drives?

Apologies if this is a dumb, question, but I've wondered for a while - thanks!
not a dumb question. IMO your habits of driving are probably fine, you just want to let it get good and hot. you just need the engine to reach full operating temp for a while, i mean if your not getting to 210 deg for a few minutes it aint good but mine is warm after about 10 minutes. the white plume is the condensation in the exhaust pipe burning off i'd say all cars do it. well maybe not Tesla's and other EV's :ROFLMAO: !

Reactions: PhillyJake
not a dumb question. IMO your habits of driving are probably fine, you just want to let it get good and hot. you just need the engine to reach full operating temp for a while, i mean if your not getting to 210 deg for a few minutes it aint good but mine is warm after about 10 minutes. the white plume is the condensation in the exhaust pipe burning off i'd say all cars do it. well maybe not Tesla's and other EV's :ROFLMAO: !
maybe not teslas!

electric so no oil change required!

You own a lube shop or something?

I have a Ford hybrid car and it usually goes about 20,000 between oil changes according to the oil life monitor (but a third of those are EV miles). Currently 210,000 miles on it so it seems to work for me. Its oil change costs $20 for a jug of Walmart synthetic and a Motorcraft filter.
Master Technician for GM.

The Chevy Volt will essentially go 15k before the oil monitor life hits below 10%, but thats because the majority of the miles is in EV mode.

Id imagine if it wasnt for GM's $1.25 pick up tube O ring failure starving an engine half the time the rebuild intervals would be much less. That and the POS lawn sprinkler oil screen under the sender that plugs and starves the upper end and the AFM junk the 5.3's would be O'tay. Pretty cool though, it like having a diesel and gas engine all in one with the F'ing clatter it makes for a few minutes when ya start one up. Gotta love Genitalia motors.
I have never had the an oil pickup tube o-ring fail.
If your speaking of the tiny oil screen under the oil pressure switch located in the VLOM, the only time they really clog is when customers don't change their oil for extended periods of time. And I have not seen very many of them clogged.
A clogged screen in the VLOM will not starve the upper end of the engine. It will cause a low reading on the gauge and possibly set P0521 or 522 codes

Just adding my two cents. I only drive a few thousand miles a year and change my oil once a year. I know that I could go longer between changes but on that day I will spend some time going through the rest of the vehicle to check all of the fluids, belts, hoses etc. to make sure they are intact and look okay.

I change the oil in my TJ every 5k. 3k just feels to premature. Although now with it not being a daily driver I will likely do once a year. My motorcycle is the same, change to fresh oil in the winter while it sits, then hop on in the spring and ride all summer. I do a lot of hwy driving though with my vehicles, its pretty rare for me to do short jaunts and cosntant on/off in the city.

My current pickup Ive been changing at 7500, though I would feel just fine extending that to 10k. I do know one individual who changes his truck oil around 1500-2k, which to me is just asinine

Reactions: tr21triton
Master Technician for GM.

The Chevy Volt will essentially go 15k before the oil monitor life hits below 10%, but thats because the majority of the miles is in EV mode.

I've had my volt for 4 years and put 75k on it. Changed the oil once, but it's about due again.

How long oil lasts depends mostly on the conditions it's subjected to, and I don't think time is significant. In-town domestic duties are the worst. Some rarely go more than 2-3 miles per trip so it never warms up. They need to change more often.

Another major factor is how tight the engine is. This is the main reason service intervals have increased so much. But as engines get older they get less tight and foul the oil sooner, so there's reason to change more frequently with age. But you may care less as it gets older so why bother.

I typically target 5k for my jeep and the wife's car as it's easy to track and the oil still looks descent. My previous beater I did 10k, until I got near the end and tried 20-25k lol

Reactions: williambmac
I change the oil in my TJ every 5k. 3k just feels to premature. Although now with it not being a daily driver I will likely do once a year. My motorcycle is the same, change to fresh oil in the winter while it sits, then hop on in the spring and ride all summer. I do a lot of hwy driving though with my vehicles, its pretty rare for me to do short jaunts and cosntant on/off in the city.

My current pickup Ive been changing at 7500, though I would feel just fine extending that to 10k. I do know one individual who changes his truck oil around 1500-2k, which to me is just asinine
he must love his pickup TOO much