Engine overheating?

KOOLUSA

My 2001 TJ suddenly started overheating (temp gauge shot up) to 260+ (red zone). Checked the engine coolant reservoir and completely empty. Refilled and made it home OK (short distance, few miles only). After been parked for a day (and not running the engine) the reservoir is below where I filled it up to. No visible leak underneath the engine. Same thing happened 2-3 months ago. They did a system flush, replaced the thermostat and tested the coolant system OK. Basically looks like the same thing just happened again. Thoughts anyone?

Was the system pressure tested because if the reservoir was properly filled initally the coolant has to go somewhere. Have you checked the engine oil for contamination.

I would check and make sure the coolant is full. Same exact thing happened to me, and it was because the last time I did a coolant flush I forgot to completely fill the radiator with coolant after it had cycled multiple times.

That's the very first thing I would check.

Look for white goobers on your dipstick and oil fill cap and if you see any drop the oil immediately and look at what comes out. Antifreeze in oil will kill that engine quickly.

Ditto on the fact that often air gets trapped in the too off the engine or radiator and will draw down your reserve tank after a few cool down cycles. Hope that is it rather than a head gasket or leak in the water pump seal. I take it there is never antifreeze under the Jeep except where the reserve overflow tube is?

Last edited: