Engine replacement advise

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
I have ordered a reman engine and it should be ready in a couple of days. I drive a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L manual and I’m putting the exact same thing back in. I was real pleased with the engine so no need to change things. I know there are some things I should change while I’m doing it. The engine comes with gaskets and seals. What else should I consider? I’m not looking at spending that much more but I was thinking a clutch, water pump, oil pump and master and shave cylinder. Am I missing anything? Thanks a head of time. I was on the fence and selling the jeep but the body and frame are in good shape and I didn’t think if I sold it I probably would not be able to find another in my price range.

You want to focus on the items that would be a pain to change later. I would imagine the replacement engine would have a new oil pump installed.

A new clutch is a no Brainer and should be done. I doubt the engine will come with a water pump so that is something to buy new. Hoses, belt, spark plugs and maybe wires should be replaced.

You want to focus on the items that would be a pain to change later. I would imagine the replacement engine would have a new oil pump installed.

A new clutch is a no Brainer and should be done. I doubt the engine will come with a water pump so that is something to buy new. Hoses, belt, spark plugs and maybe wires should be replaced.

For some reason I think the guy didn’t mention a oil pump being included. Just a long block really. I may need to ask that.

I have ordered a reman engine and it should be ready in a couple of days. I drive a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L manual and I’m putting the exact same thing back in. I was real pleased with the engine so no need to change things. I know there are some things I should change while I’m doing it. The engine comes with gaskets and seals. What else should I consider? I’m not looking at spending that much more but I was thinking a clutch, water pump, oil pump and master and shave cylinder. Am I missing anything? Thanks a head of time. I was on the fence and selling the jeep but the body and frame are in good shape and I didn’t think if I sold it I probably would not be able to find another in my price range.

Make sure all the block dowel pins are correctly placed and your trans will mate up, it's a bitch when your trying to draw them together and they are misplaced.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Make sure all the block dowel pins are correctly placed and your trans will mate up, it's a bitch when your trying to draw them together and they are misplaced.

Would the place that is building the engine ensure of that, or the place installing the engine? Would that be something that I would need to buy separate or assumed to be included in the rebuild? Thanks

I just replaced my 2.5 with a rebuilt.

I'd also replace the radiator, exhaust manifold (they're cheap), and motor mounts (they're cheap and easy to get to when the engine is out). I'd also replace the fan clutch, and all the hoses,

You might/maybe consider replacing the flywheel with a Centerforce heavier flywheel (think inertia ring). I put one in mine when I had the clutch replaced. It wasn't cheap, but since it was apart anyways, there was no extra labor cost involved.

Would the place that is building the engine ensure of that, or the place installing the engine? Would that be something that I would need to buy separate or assumed to be included in the rebuild? Thanks

Pins would normally come with the block but they don't know what trans will be mated so they will usually match the last trans used. Simple process to identify the locations and move if necessary.

Reactions: RAC02
I just replaced my 2.5 with a rebuilt.

I'd also replace the radiator, exhaust manifold (they're cheap), and motor mounts (they're cheap and easy to get to when the engine is out). I'd also replace the fan clutch, and all the hoses,

You might/maybe consider replacing the flywheel with a Centerforce heavier flywheel (think inertia ring). I put one in mine when I had the clutch replaced. It wasn't cheap, but since it was apart anyways, there was no extra labor cost involved.

Didn’t you get a Titan engine?

Last edited:
I did. Just did the 500-mile oil change and once-over. All was good.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/finally-found-a-remanufactured-engine.61758/

Pretty much the engine itself was half the cost - the rest was labor and replacing all the other stuff since we had the engine out. Came to about $6,000.00 from start to finish (yeah - ouch) to get it back on the road.

Where are you getting your engine?

Titan. Question. Did they include a oil pump in your rebuild?

Titan. Question. Did they include a oil pump in your rebuild?

I'm looking at the receipt, and I paid $65 for an oil pump pick-up tube and screen.

So I guess the pump was included, but not the pick-up tube and screen.

I'm looking at the receipt, and I paid $65 for an oil pump pick-up tube and screen.

So I guess the pump was included, but not the pick-up tube and screen.

Yea I called the other day and they said the oil pump was included. All things considered these engines are half the cost of others. I got this remanded engine for less than a typical Ford v6 used engine with 120k or miles on it. So it’s not bad I guess.

Ok follow up question. Is it normal for the repairer to charge a little extra (labor) to replace the clutch when doing a engine swap on the 2.5 manual transmission? Like is there any extra work involved at all?

Give your exhaust manifold a very careful once over. The 2.5l manifold starts to get cracks over time.

Yep very true. What about the clutch. Is there any extra work at all with replacing the clutch? Like any? The mechanic wants to charge a little extra for it and I want to justify it but not of there is literally no extra work.

Yep very true. What about the clutch. Is there any extra work at all with replacing the clutch? Like any? The mechanic wants to charge a little extra for it and I want to justify it but not of there is literally no extra work.

It takes the same time to install a new clutch vs old. Unless you want new hydraulics too. Then its more work

Well he mentioned something about getting it lined up with a clutch replacement. Is there and truth to that. Isn’t the clutch attached to the transmission at least part of the clutch kit getting replaced in the transmission. Trying to make sure he knows what he is talking about.

Well he mentioned something about getting it lined up with a clutch replacement. Is there and truth to that. Isn’t the clutch attached to the transmission at least part of the clutch kit getting replaced in the transmission. Trying to make sure he knows what he is talking about.

Per our conversation it is normal for a mechanic to add an hour or so for the new clutch install.

Per our conversation it is normal for a mechanic to add an hour or so for the new clutch install.

Yes. There is a bit of work involved. Still way cheaper to replace the clutch now vs. once the engine is already in place. I don't know how much you have to mess with the clutch normally (if at all) when just doing an engine replacement.